Starbound taking a long time to load?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Bill Cipher, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher 2.7182818284590...

So last night I updated my stable and tried to load it. It took a long time, around twenty minutes, which was strange. I was tired so I gave up and decided to try again in the morning. Now it's the morning and almost a full hour ago I opened my Starbound game and it's still stuck on the loading page with the waddling penguin. It hasn't stopped since the penguin is always moving, it just keeps loading and loading forever. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else the first time they opened their game after the update or if it's just me.

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

did you try after removing your old characters and universe folders?

3. It took a long time to load this morning for me as well. I closed the window mid-load and tried to start it again, it came up in a matter of minutes the second time.

4. Bill Cipher

No, but I just did exactly what you said just now. Let's see if it worked.

5. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

For me it's inconsistent but has mostly been fast recently.

Tamorr likes this.
  6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

For me it is only the first load that takes a bit, but not 20 minutes... usually 5 or so... about 10 at most, but once it has been loaded once in the day it is quicker if reloading it up. That mainly due to it being probably still in Memory.

The startup might be a bit, but once playing it is fine for myself. Then again it is always difficult to tell of others with the variety of computers out there... Note my computer is not high end.

Darklight likes this.
  7. Blue

Blue Former Staff

I used to have long load times (upwards of 5 min) but with the new update it takes about 4 seconds. Not sure what changed.

8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Also note I seem to see it boot up quicker when doing so manually over using the play button in steam. major difference there, as last night that is something I did just so I could use the new 64 bit version; which was a lot quicker.:)

9. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

I've had this problem since I first played the game when it game out... Well, it's not actually a problem, I can deal with it :cool:

10. Bill Cipher

I did just as you said, and it's still not loading. I did other things while I waited and I reached an hour before I finally closed it.

11. Maikoa

Maikoa Subatomic Cosmonaut

Actually, right now both versions of the Starbound exe out are the OpenGL version. Some people experience lag with that version -- CF said in the IRC they'd be updating it later tonight, so expect a fix either late (LATE) tonight or tomorrow. Hope this helps you, Bill.

Buy gold, bye!

12. Kishain

Kishain Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having this issue as well. I've verified my game files, tried deleting everything, and everything else I could think of. Nothing. All I get is the penguin walking forever. I could play this update a few days ago...

Update: Finally loaded after like about 15 minutes. However the game was incredibly laggy and took a few minutes to load every planet / ship.

13. engineer3210

engineer3210 Tentacle Wrangler

Have you got many mods in the mods folder? My game took at the first load around 2 minutes, but after I put out some mods it just took 8 seconds to load. Guess that is an issue too.