1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Starbound Server Management Console Release

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Icer, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Snowpup

Snowpup Giant Laser Beams

However, is there any way to hook into Starrybound, or an already-running process instead of having it manhandle the server? I simply want it for the chatting and browser commands so I can monitor on the go, but there is NO way I'm getting rid of Starrybound.

2. igromanru

igromanru Big Damn Hero

Nice tool, it is working on my Windows Server 2012!

Just one security problem. If I open the tool port (21005), each person who know it, can access to the control panel. ;)

3. kavex

kavex Space Penguin Leader

i get 503. That’s an error. when clicking on your latest download link

4. shibdib

shibdib Starship Captain

It's called the first post of this thread....

supernet2 likes this.
  5. Soulztealer

Soulztealer Master Chief

Yeah Thanks and I know that there is commands there but it would be nice to a list of just the commands in a condensed list that I could send to my admins and not have to read thru all the features. Next time I will be more specific for those who dont have common sense to understand what I said.

6. eSportler

eSportler Orbital Explorer

hey, nice work but is there a possibility to run this on a Debian Wheezy Server without GUI?
    So it just provide the Webinterface?

7. shibdib

shibdib Starship Captain

They are listed.. in the first post.. in a section labeled ingame commands...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. norbert_szucs

norbert_szucs Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you, Perfectly works on Mac (OS X Mavericks) with Google Chrome...

9. Mendo

Mendo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Been using this since v0.33 and it's come a long way! Really great server wrapper.

10. supernet2

supernet2 Existential Complex

I will half to laugh and say... those who relied on starrybound have crippled. See what happens when you get to indepth with a free based project(?) Anyway, testing your console, haven't run across many errors yet. Running it against starrybounds implementations, although your console has more benefits in my opinion in stability vs starrybounds discontinued project. If i find or stumble across issues ill post.

For now though no problems here, i've migrated the server to a Windows server 2008 RC 2 edition, database version. Running under VMware (not microsofts Hyper-V crap as their core instance costs are... insane, seriously 56k just for 8core licensing on a VIRTUAL instance?!)

11. eSportler

does nobody use a linux server???
    Such a great admin tool didn't work on a console based linux server -.-

12. supernet2

I think it works on linux i haven't really played with it much on linux as thats not my strong point in database management and setup/installation. Been toying around with CentOS. Follow the guide listed by Class101, and then from their run his server .jar. Considering it works on different platforms and its in a .jar it should work on linux. Haven't tried it on linux myself personally. Busy trying to figure out how to use VMware more effectively to run a server and trick the system into allocating more "CPU" power to a single core/thread to overall increase stability on a "per world thread active" basis.
    Shot off my donation. just $5 for now, ill donate more later on. Even if it was a little glad i could shoot you a donation though. After all your doing this for free :D and i know how much of a grueling project this is especially as a one man team. Gotta be a pain in the ass picking up where others dropped off. Glad to see you haven't lost your steam in pressing on. Take it one bit at a time, i'd hate to see you get burned out from this.

As for me... My own job burns me out :'( all this rebuilding of a database system for use world wide is a major stress factor. I cannot imagine the stress this game generates just from development let alone what Tyi deals with in grief, including my own commentary that.. lets be honest, is dickish at times. Lol Anyway press on ill be rootin for yah*

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  13. eSportler

Sure .jar works on Linux, but this tool needs a graphical user interface, otherwise you'll get different errors and nothing happens.
    I'm using a root server with Proxmox virtualization, created a Debian Wheezy VM without the desktop features (no GUI!) because a gui needs too much performance.

14. supernet2

Just to confirm.. you've already followed up with a post i made in page 13. http://community.playstarbound.com/...rver-management-console-release.53988/page-13

If not please do so. It sounds like you may not have configured the default values for the ISSMConsolePlayerList.xml file which means your host machine regardless of os does not have the ip 127.0.0.1 (feedback loop) added so even on that host machine you do not have access to its webgui until you grant it the "Okay". Also for your global ip make sure its defined as a admin IP as well in the listed Admins IP section.

Edit: as im paranoid LAN static must be defined also add in a LAN ip of your choosing to allow as admin.

From their use another computer or another machine on the same network as the server and login (seeing as you've now added your networks own Global ip as a admin ip) you should beable to connect to the servers webgui. Now keep in mind im also assuming you've already done all the ground work for port forwarding, your LAN ip/static ip is set, your router/modem units configurations are set, and your ISP or business line provider is not packet shaping/re-routing data based on violation/ToS outlined with your current contract with them.

Assuming all is well it should and can work, if not i'd strongly suggest generating a error log, or attaching a debugger process and see what exactly is tripping it up, as im not the developer behind this project i'd inbox message the log details to Icer as he is the developer, plus it would help limit/restrict who sees sensitive information in said log/debugger process incase some sensitive information is included.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    eSportler likes this.
  15. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

Looks cool and so far works great.

I have one request/suggestion: Could an admin command be added to manually restart the server (/restart password)? Example: admins can upload the mods, but currently can't restart the server. Assuming it would require same permissions as kick? Also as suggested before, webconsole's button to restart would be handy too.

supernet2 likes this.
  16. eSportler

you're right, i didn't followed your guide you've posted a few pages before.
    But only because I've got errors while launching the .jar for the first time. And without launching it the first time there won't be a file called ISSMConsolePlayerList.xml.
    I ignored the first crash, closed the program and edited the file as you wrote in your guide. Saving and launching .jar again.
    Getting this:
    Code:
    starbound@starbound:~/webinterface$ java -jar ISSMConsole.jar
    Properties file not found
    java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ""
            at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65)
            at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java:453)
            at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java:483)
            at icer.starbound.server.management.proxy.ProxyManager.loadBanList(ProxyManager.java:151)
            at icer.starbound.server.management.StarboundServer.loadBanList(StarboundServer.java:138)
            at icer.starbound.server.management.StarboundServer.<init>(StarboundServer.java:78)
            at icer.starbound.server.management.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:44)
    Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException:
    No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
            at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)
            at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:535)
            at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)
            at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:224)
            at icer.starbound.server.management.LaunchingClient.<init>(LaunchingClient.java:10)
            at icer.starbound.server.management.StarboundServer.<init>(StarboundServer.java:81)
            at icer.starbound.server.management.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:44)
    As you can see the .jar still needs the X11 Display parts and also didn't find the properties file... but where should this file be?? After first start there was only the ISSMConsolePlayerList.xml file.

with the network i won't get any problems ;)

Thanks for your help :)

supernet2 likes this.
  17. supernet2

Need to install java follow up with your java install instance with class101's guide. http://community.playstarbound.com/...-and-newest-libstdc.53164/page-4#post-1648974

after you get past steam command and all that fun stuff, you should have installed all the required libraries/requirements for java. Now give it a go. I think that maybe the solution. Im not to proficient with linux so... thats my guess. Its java libraries are not installed. Class101 might actually beable to answer this one as he seems to be the linux expert. This is his profile link what i'd do is inbox him and ask him directly. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?members/class101.84940/

He may actually have a solution just give him the errors you encountered.

eSportler likes this.
  18. eSportler

In this Guide he handles the installation of the Starbound Server itself, right? I read the four pages but didn't find a solution for my problem.
    The server itself is running fine for me. Only the Interface won't work^^
    Did your CentOS Installation have a GUI? Or is it also only command line based? In the last case please try to start the Interface on your CentOS installation. :)

19. hemantlatawa

hemantlatawa Void-Bound Voyager

Nice info to all thanx & keep share all info like these that guide us the right way thanks again.

20. supernet2

Never got anything working correctly with CentOS. Was able to get it working on a gui based kubuntu install 13.01+ versions didn't try a straight command line only version though. Possibly might just be that a gui is needed to pull it up... for when it initially starts up the display is shown before the wrapper hides itself and then becomes a full based webgui. Hopefully that explains it. Reinstalling CentOS right now maybe ill stumble across the solution. Will be sometime though, managing 9 separate os installations for different tests to get my own server back up and running. Moving to full scale virtualized server.

Someone has posted that they got the server up and running with Ubuntu but... i dont think it was specifically with this console. I could be wrong, just to lazy to find where the person posted.