Dev Blog Starbound on Steam Workshop!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 21, 2016.

1. joaorafaelrr

joaorafaelrr Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very happy about 1.0 . I will tell my dad and as soon as we can play, we will start an server with me, my younger brother and my dad. We love to play this game together and i am very happy that my dad like it too, i remember when he presented prince of persia in his XT Green screen dos pc and i am very help that now with 28 years i can do the same thing for him and play a game with him. He is even learning english with this game. Thank You guys. :)

2. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

Whenever i hear people talking about stealing "free" things, be it something from the steam workshop or elsewhere, i always think of this video

for those who find it too long to watch, the gist is this: If i take something of yours, post it elsewhere without giving you any credit, then, yes, that is theft. if this kept happening, what would you do? probably stop making anything, because if someone else is going to receive praise for what you did, there's no point to making it in the first place. especially if he gets popular for it, because then if you try to confront him, it basically comes down to your word against his, except he has a raging fanbase to hound after you for claiming he stole from you.

also, credit to TheXPgamers for the video :rofl:

chucklefish plz:nurusad:.....

dimion123, Mackinz and lazarus78 like this.
  3. potato_town

potato_town Space Hobo

Noooo :-(

That's a slap in the face for all your customers who bought the game not through steam (like me, gog-version). From now onward, the majority of mods will be confined behind steam doors and not be accessible for the other users. I wouldn't mind optional steam support, but as of steam today, you can't get any mods without installing steam which were exclusively published there. A nice vendor lock-in to limit competition.
    If you insist on using some other infrastructure than the forums, why don't you use the Nexusmods infrastructure? You don't have to install any software there, but you can if you like to, and than its probably (didn't check) as easy to install mods as in steam but without any vendor lock-in. Also, many mods are already there.

LuzinMust likes this.
  4. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I don't find manual installation any harder than that. It's a win-win for those who like it. As I said, I'm fine with it, and I can accept that others may like it. I just don't like using it.

CASE 1:
    Let's say you made a piece of artwork. You then hosted it for public viewing on a website. Then someone takes it and re-uploads it to another website, convieniently failing to mention that you made it.
    You'd probably be kind of pissed off that this new one is getting more views than your original, and that nobody actually knows you made it.
    CASE 2:
    You write a story, and upload it for reading. People take it and put it on another site. They do credit you and link to you, but fail to support it by continuing to upload new chapters or changes. You later re-write a bad chapter and fix a plethora of grammatical errors, and added an epilogue. Now you have a bunch of ignorant people seeing the old version uploaded by the other guy, and going to you telling you it needs fixing, despite you having already fixed it, and asking if there's more than the cliffhanger ending because they couldn't see your epilogue.
    This would probably piss you off.
    CASE 3:
    Either of the cases above, except the ignoramus who posted it elsewhere without your permission actually takes credit for making it and since you aren't on this website to protest, many people believe them. You eventually make an account and get people in charge of the website to take it down (Success may vary). Every time you ask them to take it down, another person puts it up again. Nobody knows you made it because the majority of users only know about the version made by "xX5uperm4nn1337Xx0001" and not the original by "Xylia".
    You get the point.

It's less about "you're stealing because you didn't pay for it" and more "this is something I made and you're acting like you're entitled to give it away yourself, not caring whether it's broken, would make people think I made it badly, or whether or not people even know I actually made it."

Don't worry. I doubt many serious modders will use the workshop as the sole location for their mod. They'll likely upload them in multiple places, or ONLY here or Nexusmods because these places are in many ways more controllable and better (subjectively.)

endertrot likes this.
  5. by the way which version
    is it going to be stable version or unstable version
    and if its unstable when the stable version is coming out

6. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Unstable is already out. It is Stable 1.0 (i.e. official end of Beta and release) tomorrow.

7. NekoSoul

NekoSoul Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can't wait for that, that made me exciting for a whole night (and I am really tired now)

8. potato_town

potato_town Space Hobo

Thanks for the reassurance, but I know this dilemma already from Prison Architect. For instance look here, http://devwiki.introversion.co.uk/pa/index.php/Mods . Many mods are already steam-exclusive. Getting custom maps is nearly impossible w/o steam, as you can upload them directly inside the game (afair). This is by far not a small problem, but luckily Chucklefish is going to make this imho bad decision at a time point where many modders already found working alternatives (forums, nexus…) and hopefully will not change.

9. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

No I meant for the modders. Every update pre-1.0 pretty much required them to redo them as the game changes way too much.

10. Aisuu

Aisuu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello everyone,
    I wanted to stop by and say, that I was watching develop progress patiently from the beginning and that Iam really excited for the release. :)

Your Starbound fan from Slovakia <3

foxtails, NekoSoul and Corraidhín like this.
  11. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Let the... shameless mod theft begin?

Oh god the Xbone users and that remastered game I shall not mention.

12. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Well mod theft will be a topic but there will only be a few because most ppl here respect the work of the mod creators and the starbound community has a great mature behaviour. I can imagine there will be more posts in the additional mod pages asking for porting to the workshop.

~ Iris ~

13. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I would love to have your optimism, but I know people, and I know what they will do, given the opportunity. On Starbounds favour, its a smaller, tightly woven community, but the possibility IS there. I just hope it doesnt go the way other communities have.

14. Flashlights

Flashlights Master Chief

Im really excited for a trailer
    :headbanging:

B-b-but i caaant wait anymore:rip::rainbowbarf::poptop::fireball::wot:

15. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

It doesn't require you to go to a third party website, download a file, and unpack it in the correct location. Steam does that all for you, you just change the folder name without worrying you did something wrong.

Almost nobody uses just one mod, and not every mod author has the time to update the day of a patch. Regardless of what happens things are likely to break for anyone using mods who updates their game on patch day. Mods updating automatically are not an issue, it's generally the game updating automatically that breaks things. You can stop both from happening with Steam if you want (go offline), the situation is not ideal though and manually updating mods doesn't change it.

I said "one of" the most amazing things. The vast majority of gamers never touch mods, even in games with huge modding scenes like Minecraft and Skyrim. They don't want to deal with looking up how to do it, downloading things from 3rd party sites, are worried about breaking rules/getting banned, and many other reasons. The workshop has opened modding to a much larger audience with it's convenience and simplicity, click a button and done. This is a huge thing, and while mod users are still a small minority, the number is growing, and the more people using mods the more people making them, which can make a good game into something great.

As for your Skyrim example, I think you need to look again. The Steam workshop for Skyrim has 25k mods, some of them with over a million subscribers, many at over 500k. The Skyrim Nexus has like 45k mods, some with a million unique downloads on the most recent version, many at above 500k. The numbers aren't that far apart, and this is a case where the developers screwed up and imposed limitations on workshop mods that people HAD to go to the Nexus to get around. IIRC it was a max of 200mb until very recently, which wasn't enough to do much of anything.

The Nexus also isn't manual downloads (unless you are a masochist), NMM is the precurser to the workshop, and while it does have some more advanced features those features are also ways for people not familiar with the application to screw things up. There is something to be said about the way Steam does it where it's literally just one button, subscribe, and nothing else involved. You can't mess that up.

16. well i have a problem i cant play nightly & unstable version because its says :
    api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer try reinstalling the program
    does anyone know how to fix this problem

17. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

You might want to make your own thread, instead of piggybacking the issue here. Otherwise, you're running the risk of getting buried under pages of replies.

http://community.playstarbound.com/forums/support/

18. 5307

5307 Void-Bound Voyager

That's nice !!!

19. Chiff

Chiff Void-Bound Voyager

6PM BST, not GMT. Nowhere on the planet is currently using GMT, but that would be 5PM, same as UTC.