Dev Blog Starbound on Steam Workshop!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

But unless it is monetized, you're not "losing" anything, because such art/code/scripts is infinitely reproducible and costs nothing to redistribute.

If it IS monetized by the thief, then you have things like posting dates, and DMCA takedowns and most webspaces that host such content for money will gladly take said content down and penalize thieves if you can provide any proof that you created it and they didn't.

So, if the original creator does not monetize, and the "thief" doesn't monetize... then can you please tell me what exactly is lost by someone taking from, say, Nexus and re-hosting it on Steam, other than perhaps people downloading it, getting an outdated version?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Made anything recently? Draw anything? Cool, its mine now.

Monetized or not doesn't mean much of anything. If I made something, it belongs to me. It is my intellectual property. You can indeed steal "free" things. Doesn't really matter what you think, the fact still remains.

What is lost? Your intillectual property for one. On top of it being a straight up dick move to take something and claim it as your own when you did not make it. Why would anyone want to contribute to a community that tolerates stealing of any kind, for profit or not, why does that matter? If it isn't yours, don't take it and upload it elsewhere. It is illegal and only makes you look like an asshole.

3. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

Subscribe to a mod, rename it in your mod folder, unsubscribe, problem solved, and still easier than manually downloading and installing. That said, for most people auto-updating mods is a blessing, not a "problem."

Most other issues people tend to bring up are developer side, not Steam side. Some games just don't design their workshop functionality well. The Steam workshop itself is one of the most amazing things to ever happen to gaming, the ease of use and accessibility has caused mod popularity to explode. More people downloading mods, more people making mods, it's a win-win for everybody in every game that supports it.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

If you have to go to the folder to rename it, how is that easier or better than dropping a mod in there for manual installation?

Auto updating is problematic because the workshop has zero version control, meaning I can't upload a mod update ahead of a game update without potentially breaking someone's game. This has happened with Skyrim before.

As for the workshop being the greatest thing to happen to gaming, that is debatable. The workshop for most games is much smaller than their Nexus counterpart in most cases, especially Skyrim with has double the number of mods... AND auto updating WITH version control.

5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

Workshop is better for users that don't want to get into how modding, or mods, work; they just press a button and the mod should appear the next time they run the game. And, while the workshop does have disadvantages too, for too many players it's the only way they will ever deal with mods, as most players are unwilling to search for mods elsewhere and manually install them, or even lack the knowledge of how to do it.

Jareix Cryvix and Xylia like this.
  6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

^^
    This.

One gets what they pay for.

Hey, I like GitHub after I learned how to update using Git Bash.

You get all the version control you want, updates are insanely fast, and it is quick enough that I can make a snap decision of whether or not to update at any given time.

But again, it is difficult to learn to use, much more so than the Steam Workshop.

Steam Workshop gives you a LOT of Convenience at the cost of some control.

Oh, and.... REQUIRING an account here on SB Forums to download a mod... well, there are ways to work around it, but you gotta know a friend who has an account who's computer savvy enough to know what to do to get you the download link.

I have a friend who plays SB who is not interested in getting a forum account. He wants mods.

Guess Steam Workshop or leeching from me is the only way he's getting said mods, unless they're on GitHub (then I'll teach him how to use Git Bash).

7. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

I only have two words to describe my excitement...
    STARBOUND AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

FadedSketch likes this.
  8. lordb

lordb Big Damn Hero

Has no one heard of the Nexus just put your stuff there if you don't want in on the Workshop.

9. John Donne

John Donne Void-Bound Voyager

I've been meaning to ask, but will the 1.0 launch with Steam-supported multiplayer, or will it still work on the current system?

10. TheArk

TheArk Void-Bound Voyager

May we expect the release at gog at 22th 6pm too?

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

They added the option in Options for Steam Multiplayer, so I would imagine they have plans of having Steam MP at 1.0, unless it got delayed for whatever reason.

12. Catman232

Catman232 Void-Bound Voyager

Is this update out yet? It was supposed to be over 6 hours ago was it not?

13. FadedSketch

FadedSketch Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've been waiting for this day for so long! :rofl: and Workshop is definitely inspiring me to continue modding. :D
    I don't think I'll be very productive this weekend... >w>

The Beryl Man likes this.
  14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Oi.

No offense, but please read carefully.

July 22nd, 10AM PST.

We're still on July 21st.

15. Catman232

Catman232 Void-Bound Voyager

Oh right sorry. It gets confusing this late at night, in GMT it's 12:27am meaning I see 22nd on my PC. Night shifts at work are screwing my sense of time right up...

16. Jamtoes

Jamtoes Big Damn Hero

Hype protocol initiated

17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I for one had my doubts about Stable and Unstable being unable to "share" Workshops, but then I realized something. Many people have tried to run my Felins mod, which I update in lockstep with Unstable, on the latest Stable. That obviously doesn't fly. And noone ever seems to read the overview page, so explaining it there is next to useless.

Now, I can update Felins on Unstable's workshop as above, and update a version for Stable separately, without the risk!

18. foxtails

foxtails Master Chief

Awesome news!! :chucklefish:
    Excited to see the mech & garden robot mods on a stable release 1.0

19. Vith

Vith Cosmic Narwhal

If sayter uploaded FU to the Workshop, I would be so giddy. #BeingLazyAndNoLongerHavingToManuallyUpdateModFiles

foxtails likes this.
  20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Probably only the "big updates", because he does 10-20 small updates only on GitHub and then waits to ship em all at once to the Repo here on SB Forums. I imagine he'd do the same with the Steam Workshop if he chose to use that.

So if you want the latest FU, you're gonna need to Git Bash.