Dev Blog Starbound on Steam Workshop!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 21, 2016.

1. All mods work for MP, they just have to be on the server. If you go into some one elses server with a mod that is not on that server chances are your gonna crash, and crash other people.

2. Volchonok

Volchonok Void-Bound Voyager

Do you think it'll work like that with the workshop as well? If that's the case, we can just both download the bees mod and jump into each other's games?

3. I am not sure how you are thinking this is going to work. If you are saying that the person running the dedicated server puts the mod in the server files, and you put it in your files then yes. If your thinking you can both just download the bee mod, and some how connect with out a server I don't think it works that way. Unless they added something I missed. The server would have to have the mod on it, in the right folders.

4. ThePeregrineFalcon

ThePeregrineFalcon Master Chief

Train.jpg
    All aboard the hype train!

Next stop, Waitingville...

5. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Once 1.0 hits we'll be able to play with friends directly through steam, without setting up any actual server (much like Terraria does it).
    :)
    Then it should just require that both players have the mod, but it might just require the main player (the one people are joining), I'm not sure if they'll have steam workshop download the files for the joining players. That'd be cool as heck. It's something they mentioned would happen eventually.

Vith likes this.
  6. Interesting, It would be quite the optimization of the code then, from what it was. Star bound uses some serious CPU to run a server of like 20+ people, couldn't see it working on a desktop, I never really played terraria, i bought it and got a refund, but it looked like it was only for like 5 people, I suppose it might work with that. I know fracken mod uses a lot of spu. I needed to upgrade to a high speed 32 core with a lot of ram to get my star bound server to run like you were playing single player.

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

To be honest, I don't think Frackin'Universe would use any more CPU power to run a server than vanilla SB. Glad Giraffe (and builds before it) are just so terrible at optimization, that you need a quantum supercomputer to ever run a server. Computers that can run Crysis like it's solitaire choke on Glad Giraffe Server.

8. Esev

Esev Void-Bound Voyager

9. ProPatte

ProPatte Scruffy Nerf-Herder

a countdown on the mainpage would make the hype even more real :D <3 (many kids are getting confused by the releasetime)

Brekke K'ktus likes this.
  10. Wywern291

Wywern291 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Tfw you look at the date and think that the game has released, only to realize that it's just passed midnight and you're off by 20 hours.

11. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

As long as we keep the mods section here I'm fine with this. I just can't stand the workshop because things update without your permission, can vanish in an instant and will automatically be deleted from your install when they do, and all sorts of other issues I won't get into. It's a mess. I prefer manual installation any day. More control.

Unfortunately this is a problem no matter the platform. If the workshop came first we'd probably see re-uploads from there to here as well (albeit possibly less)
    That said, I really hope it doesn't reach the level that Bethesda games have with stealing from Nexusmods to the Workshop and Bethesda.net...

Mobius likes this.
  12. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Cool.... wont be using it.

13. Swiftstone

Swiftstone Void-Bound Voyager

HA! Easily the funniest thing I've read all day. Brought to mind an image of a sweet, liquid-cooled hard-core rig grinding to a halt as it begins to suck time itself from the wall clocks in order to attempt running as the Glad Giraffe Server. And somewhere, juuust at the edge of your ability to hear, begins a high-pitched whine that makes the neighborhood dogs howl in protest...

CorraidhĂ­n and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm trying to wrap my head around "stealing" something that's already free of charge.....

15. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

The want for XS Corparation mechs in workshop intensifies.

Druidmask likes this.
  16. Torque

Torque Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Now there is only one thing left...
    The launch Trailer. I hope we will be able to watch it before 6 GMT

Jareix Cryvix and foxtails like this.
  17. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If an artist posts an image online with a watermark and someone takes that image, removes the watermark, and reuploads it without credit, that someone stole another persons art.

It applies in a similar fashion to someone who steals another persons code, scripts and sprites.

[​IMG]

18. I agree, I dislike steams workshop.

19. darkwish98

darkwish98 Void-Bound Voyager

Now the hype train can begin.

20. Spiderslay3r

Spiderslay3r Star Wrangler

I hope chucklefish provides a comprehensive API for modders, possibly including things like, oh I don't know UI changes, more specifically the *cough* hotbar *cough*

supernovus likes this.