1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound not starting at all

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by netraameht, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netraameht

netraameht Intergalactic Tourist

Hey,

Just got it on Steam, downloaded & installed it (at least something like .net).
    Pressed the play button -> Nothing happens.
    My avatar at the right bottom of steam goes from blue to green to blue.

I'm probably missing something (like I had with Terraria), but what?

2. jackd23

jackd23 Void-Bound Voyager

When I first hit Play in Steam, it didn't install any pre-requisites for me (i.e. steam's "first time setup" things).

Now the process of the executable just exits, a little further research revealed that launcher.exe (even run as administrator or any compatability mode) exits with error code/exit code 1 but isn't telling anything. The process starts and just exits immediately.

I have no other system as people who are able to run it just fine it seems, Win7 x64, GTX 550 card, 8GB RAM.

Running the DXSETUP in the Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\_CommonRedist folder did not help, and there is no other redistributable runtime or anything but DirectX.

There doesn't seem to be an error log either or any events logged by Windows. The server executable seems to work though :p but alas, there must be something we can try?

Samurai Gorski likes this.
  3. Cryix

Cryix Master Chief

Same here . I press play but nothing happens.. I dont see any launcher opening >.<

4. iWreckless

iWreckless Lucky Number 13

When I use it on my mac, it says "Starbound quit unexpectedly"

Tank11, sparklingjew52 and jameschew like this.
  5. Cryix

Cryix Master Chief

Be happy that it says something ._. Mine does nothing xD btw I have Win 8 64 bit

6. Kalaidos

Kalaidos Void-Bound Voyager

Be sure to check whether your antivirus program does mention something about a virus alert when you try to start Starbound.
    Mine did suspect a virus in one of the launcher dlls (Qt5WebKit.dll). After setting an exception for this file in my antivirus software, Starbound launched just fine, whereas before nothing propted.

Hope, this may help a few of you guys!

7. jackd23

jackd23 Void-Bound Voyager

I have no AV that would interfere.

I just tried running it on a virtual machine with XP (32bit) installed, and the launcher starts, d'oh! There really needs to be a way to trace down the problem of the process immediately exiting.

8. netraameht

Tried exactly the same, with the same results...

9. Alfred

Alfred Master Chief

same here too, when i press play nothing happens... :(

10. Acru

Acru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah, here we go, a thread with my exact problem!

My system:
    Windows 7 64bit
    Intel i7 950 @3Ghz, 12G ram
    GeForce GTX 460 (driver 296.10, a bit dated but...)
    Also a Radeon X600 (for my 3rd screen...)

Now, I tried from steam, and all the exe files directly; launcher.exe, starbound.exe, starbound_opengl.exe
    I tried launching as administrator and in compatibility mode, in any case the process exits out almost immediately.
    Note: starbound_server.exe does run but not so useful without client~

I tried on my other machine (a win7 32-bit machine) and it does work. I notice though that when I launch there, I get a window asking if I want to run with opengl or not, but I don't even get this window on my 64-bit machine.

11. Kitsune Zeta

Kitsune Zeta Void-Bound Voyager

Another one for the list of people with this problem.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
    Intel i5-2500K, running at 3.6GHz
    8GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570.

Error Code 1 on all client executable files, no window displayed, no log file.

12. Nokturnal

Nokturnal Space Hobo

Same issue here, it only happened after the game crashed for the first time. Same error as everyone seems to be posting. (Bad access, C++ runtime error, etc) when it crashed.

Tried running through both opengl and the normal exe, using both as run as admin and normal and different compat modes. Nothing happens, it just instantly closes, process doesn't even start in task manager. Uninstalled the entire game, reinstalled, no difference, verified game cache as well, no difference.

13. Acru

Acru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yea. As it works on my other machine, I can say that all the executables are made to launch the launcher first, but the launcher won't.. launch, blocking running the actual game. Is there perhaps a command line option to skip the launcher?

Incidentally, the launcher window is also too big to fit on a 1280*720 display, and I can't click the run buttons unless I move the taskbar to the side of the screen, heh.

14. ImaWario

ImaWario Void-Bound Voyager

Well I'm glad at least that I'm not the only one with this issue I guess...
    The first time I attempt to launch after starting my computer, the window hiccups a little like it's trying to start it, then nothing happens. After that first time, when I click launch nothing seems to happen at all. I can close and reopen the launcher, steam, etc. but I have to entirely restart my computer in order to get even the most subtle result from that first attempt.
    I doubt that helps, but there's my two cents.

15. Acru

Acru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, I just did something really stupid and it worked!

In any case its enough to get around the launcher problem, you may want to backup before trying though.

I did this:
    [Don't do this, see my simpler solution below!]

Basically this will run the game instead of the launcher, but will put your save files in Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\ instead of Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\, so you'll have to move them out later.

Note: A simpler way to do this would be to make a lancher.exe of your own to open starbound.exe directly.
    Edit: To reverse this, move universe and player from Starbound\win32\ into Starbound\, delete your Starbound\win32\launcher folder, and then ask steam to rebuild your game cache.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    RedScarWolf likes this.
  16. Vagak

Vagak Big Damn Hero

I have been receiving this problem myself. If anyone has discovered anything, I would be very glad to hear about it.

For now, here are my findings.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64. Using AMD Ahtlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz for processor. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series video card.

Like everyone else, I launched the game and my profile appears as green for only about a second, and then it immediately goes back to blue again, implying that the EXE was ran, but there was no results coming out of it.

I started running a few experiments. I went into win32, entered the properties of starbound.exe, starbound_opengl.exe, and launcher/launcher.exe, and I changed the compatibility settings to Windows 7, and changed the privilege level of each program so that it ran the program as an administrator.

Launched it again afterwards. After getting a security prompt by launcher.exe and clicking yes, I received this error.

[​IMG]

Clicking any of those buttons doesn't seem to do anything and just closes the game again.

Doing what Acru suggested just resulted in this error appearing
    Never mind, I missed a step. It's working now, but it seems to be stuck on the splash screen with no movement.

17. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah my laucher doesn't appear but launcher.exe is running. Hmmmm :/

Trying the moving file method gives me an access violation :*(

18. Sadvrius I

Sadvrius I Space Spelunker

Oddly enough, this worked for me as well! (from being stuck at starting and nothing happening). However, I am now stuck on the launcher screen. Clicking Launch Starbound does absolutely nothing...

19. Acru

Acru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You missed the last step.

20. netraameht

Confirmed, works perfect!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.