1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Radenius

Radenius Void-Bound Voyager

Just curious here, what is that last icon? I haven't seen that one before.

2. JerksPlay

JerksPlay Void-Bound Voyager

I've been on a planet with that last icon a long time ago and I saw space scrap falling from the sky.

3. Radenius

Radenius Void-Bound Voyager

ah, space junk, I guess. Okay, thanks. You should be able to mouse-over weather conditions on the navigation screen and it should tell you what they are. We shouldn't have to memorize 18 icons or whatever.

4. AlecHero

AlecHero Intergalactic Tourist

Right now running doesnt seem to be working either :/
    (its so unbelievably hard serously you cant escape ANYTHING)

5. Sairyu

Sairyu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was wondering my self aswell, I try Pressing Shift does not help and change keybinding and such. I'm afraid Running is disabled for little while ^__^;

it will return soon or later ^.^

6. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

The game doesn't need running imo. You already move as fast as you need to, and it's not a bug that you can't outrun wild animals.
    (unless you've got walk mode stuck on)
    [edit] Oh sorry i didn't realise you meant it literally wasn't working in the nightly beta. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  7. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

If I had to guess, as the option to "skip intro mission" is now available at character creation, I'd say that we'll be seeing the full tutorial mission set on Earth implemented in the next few nightlies, and your character will be locked into walking until they reach a certain point in the mission. Since the walking is implemented but the mission is not, we're stuck in walk mode for a while.

8. Sairyu

Sairyu Subatomic Cosmonaut

ah that quiet Good news to hear! some moments we all need have run you know jump great distance like in most platform games

Thanks for info Guys ^__^

9. Coricus

Coricus Subatomic Cosmonaut

I warped to the opening mission and I think my movement speed went up all of a sudden when I entered the auditorium. That may just be an incorrect memory of mine, though.

/warp instanceworld:protectorate

You get a Protectorate uniform when you first start the mission, too. You have to teleport back to your ship to get out of it due to it's incomplete state, though.

Also for other stuff I've seen, there's a new underground Lilliput-ish biome where everything except the trees is breakable by weapons, and a sort of underground jungle area with Vine Chests containing Legendary-grade Undergrowth Trimmer weapons.

In general you seem to be able to encounter nearly any biome under any planet, too. I found Ice and wherever those lava huts spawn under the ground of Gentle Star planets.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    Tatterdemalion likes this.
  10. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

Just checked. You're correct, after crossing the auditorium running is enabled.

Coricus likes this.
  11. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

I didn't know about the teleport command, so I checked out all the missions and did everything I could think of doing. Here's all I found that was worth mention;

Lunar Base;
    - Moontants can be caught as pets
    - Erchius Horror doesn't hurt anywhere near as bad as it used to

Floran Party;
    - Elevators take you down now, instead of a leap of faith
    - Ixolings can be found wandering around, and they can be caught as pets. They don't like to move as pets though.
    - Ixodoom is super weak
    - Nuru joins the outpost when you finish the mission

Avian Mission;
    - The very first puzzle had me stumped for a good few minutes
    - There's a split section where you can go in water or dodge flames to progress. Water section is INSANELY hard to swim through, flames are a joke.
    - Swarpions spawn in a hidden tomb section, and can be caught
    - The sentry and totem enemies can be caught, but they don't come out as pets. They despawn immediately when summoned.
    - The pigeon dude gets stuck if you capture the totem monster.
    - From the videos I've seen, the boss of this dungeon is going to be legit fun to fight.

Apex mission;
    - It starts off full of action and excitement
    - This one is really well done; I was enjoying every second of it.
    - You find some of those green Apex mutants at one point. They can be caught as a pet.
    - After disabling the power, you activate a times battle against constantly spawning robot drones. They can be caught as pets too.
    - The boss isn't working right now, as it doesn't spawn at all. Exit door is open by default.

Dreadwing mission isn't different (though I'd love to capture the little UFO penguins as pets. That would be awesome)

Shockhopper mission isn't different either

In doing all of the missions, I find that the only tech that's useful is the Spike Sphere. Couple that with a good supply of rope or a grappling hook, and you're set. I'm sure this will change, but I bypassed almost EVERYTHING in each dungeon with it.

renatoakamur and Faeryheart like this.
  12. SJLgamers

SJLgamers Subatomic Cosmonaut

Opening up the chat doesn't work anymore, thus resulting in not being able to warp anywhere anymore.