1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

While that might be true of campfires and torches, it was happening to furnaces, lamps, etc. I hope they are a tiny bit more waterproof these days as I don't think they would be as likely to wash away. ;)

2. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

I started playing the nightly again a couple of days ago, and I'm really enjoying all the new changes. Missions, different types of stars, all the food, etc.
    I'm still worried about the lack of a "Switch to Matter Manipulator" button.
    I always used to keep my pickaxe in slot 1 on the hotbar, so I could just hit 1 when I wanted to dig, but now that the Matter Manipulator has its own special slot and pickaxes are so limited in durability, I haven't found a way of hitting a single keyboard button to switch to the Matter Manipulator whenever I want.

3. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

R key

4. spiritofcat

I remember hearing that before, but when I tried it, it didn't work.
    I'll give it another go though.
    I still think it'd be nice if there was some indication on the HUD to tell you that such a key existed.

Edit:
    Okay, so I see the Matter Manipulator description now includes "Quick select with [R] key", but the R key still does nothing when I press it.

I remember once long ago hearing about a config file for rebinding keyboard controls.
    I don't think I ever messed with it, but maybe I should check it out and see if there's a way to reset it.

Edit Again:
    I found the controls in win32/sbboot.config
    There's a line there with
    Code:
          "R" : [ "EssentialBar1" ],
    But still R does nothing in game.

Edit some more:

I tried switching the commands for Q and R in that file, so now it has
    Code:
          "Q" : [ "EssentialBar1" ],
          "R" : [ "PlayerDropItem" ],
    But on running the game again, Q still drops things and R still does nothing, so the game doesn't appear to be using these definitions...

Edit once more:

Did a bit more research and found that it's starbound.config that defines the keys.
    sbboot.config only defines the defaults that will be used to generate a new starbound.config if the file is missing.
    Looks like my starbound.config was an old version that didn't have the R key defined.

I deleted my starbound.config and let the game generate a new one and now the R key works as intended.

However, the E key no longer worked the same as it used to.
    Previously it opened the highlighted container, and could be pressed again to close it.
    Now it opens them but doesn't close them.
    I fixed it though, by changing
    Code:
          "E" : [ "PlayerInteract" ],
    to
    Code:
          "E" : [ "PlayerInteract", "GuiClose" ],

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  5. FloranFighter

FloranFighter Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ah, the old delete starbound.config law still operates I see

6. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

Thank you! I wondered what happened to being able to close containers by hitting the key again. :)

7. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

Huh. I never bothered hitting E a second time, I just moved far enough away from the chest that it closed on its own.

8. Nanobytez

Nanobytez Aquatic Astronaut

Anyone know how to repair stuff, if we even can?

9. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

I don't think drills and picks can be repaired anymore. It USED to be just click ore on pick or drill in question. But now, that's been removed. We have to rely on the Matter Manipulator. I hope it's stronger than a diamond drill at its highest upgrade...

10. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can definitely confirm this. Picks break quickly and can't be repaired, and neither can drills (though those last longer.) They feel like temporary power boosts more than anything else.

11. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Unlikely, considering that the diamond drill have been buffed aloot to be a super fast mining tool (that breaks quickly, basicly its meant to be a temporary boost).

12. SuperMazix

SuperMazix Aquatic Astronaut

Has anyone noticed the extreme increase of fuel needed to travel since last night? I understand using more fuel to travel, but the fuel for distance traveled is ridiculously high. Especially since travel from my beginning star to the star closest to it costs about 300 fuel.

bluecollarart likes this.
  13. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

While its expensive i dont consider it ridiculous (considering that traveling withing the star systems is completely free, they needed a hefty price tag on traveling to another star).

bluecollarart likes this.
  14. Nanobytez

Nanobytez Aquatic Astronaut

Also, anyone know of some decent upgraded heals? For some reason my caves don't have plant fibre. >.< So I'm just stalking planets for healing water. And quite possibly some solarium.

15. spiritofcat

I haven't played it in the last day or two. Last time I played it seemed to cost ridiculously little fuel to move from start to star, like only about 10.
    Considering how easy the fuel is to come by, I don't see 300 being a problem.
    It's a simple matter to land on a moon, dig down to find a big pool of the stuff and suck it up with your matter manipulator.
    I got almost 2000 the first time I tried it.

You can also get plant fibre from harvesting crops that you've planted...

16. Mwvo

Mwvo Void-Bound Voyager

go deep underground, on some planets I found lots of vines underground

17. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

I think I rather like the idea of it, it gives you a strong encouragement to explore a single star system more deeply, rather than just dart around and only explore very shallowly. 300 may be a bit too high though, it's definitely up for balance.

Wow, Nanowrap bandages still aren't craftable in the game? I really hope they add a recipe for that eventually.

18. JayPC

JayPC Void-Bound Voyager

Ive been trying multiple times, to get to a desert planet, but I always get stuck infinitely flying to the planet. Last time I played(like 3 or 4 months ago) There was a bug where you can't fly to Desert planets, I figured that would be fixed by now :p Anyone know if there is a way to get to desert planets? Or other planets where I can get sand? :rofl:

19. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

reset your univice by deleting the files =p

20. JayPC

JayPC Void-Bound Voyager

So I can now get to all the ones in my system.... but 1 still goes into the loop... weird. Anyway Thanks!