Starbound Mod Toolkit Basics

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Technius, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technius

Technius Starship Captain

With the Starbound Mod Toolkit program I'm making having almost no screenshots and no documentation, I decided to make a little tutorial that shows how to use it to create a very basic mod.

System Requirements:
    Java 7 Update 9 or higher

Download: the attached file of this post.

To start off, run Starbound-Mod-Toolkit.jar. Make sure you are running it as a Java application, not as an archive.

Step 1: File > New
    Hover over File at the top, and then click New. A dialog will appear.
    1_newfile.png

Step 2: Fill in your mod's information
    Enter your mod's name and select its game version. You can leave the advanced stuff alone. After you're done, click create.
    2_newmod.png

Step 3: Choosing your mod folder
    The dialog's look will depend on your operating system. I used Windows in this tutorial. You will have to make a new folder first, and then select it.
    3_selectfolder.png
    Click Select Folder. A tab will open in the mod tab:
    4_modpanel.png

Step 4: Making assets
    Click on the Assets tab. It will bring you to the asset list.
    5_assetlist.png
    Click on the New button at the bottom of the asset list. A dialog will appear.
    6_newasset.png
    Select the type of item, and then enter the "path" of the asset. Do not type the file extension. Click create when you are done. A panel will appear on the right.

Step 5: Making changes
    Edit each field as you wish. When you are done, click Save Changes. To discard your changes, click Cancel. If you want to view the JSON, click on the Raw JSON tab. At this moment, there is no way to save the edited JSON in the Raw JSON tab.
    7_editor.png Unfortunately, the Starbound Mod Toolkit is still incomplete, so there may be missing fields and entirely missing editors. You'll have to finish those by hand.

Happy modding!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.