1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Starbound Mod Manager - Archive Thread

Discussion in 'Other' started by KrazyTheFox, Dec 8, 2013.

1. skedone

skedone Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not working on Ubuntu I selected Linux 64 and it edits the windows file

ejh1990 likes this.
  2. CJillWill

CJillWill Void-Bound Voyager

Hi Everyone! I'm also running this on Mac OSX and I am running into an issue. During installation when it prompts me to locate the game folder I direct it to my ...steam/steamapps/common/starbound. Then when I click "launch Starbound" nothing happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

Open Steam, right click on the game in your library, select properties (the lowest option), find the local content tab and click "browse local content".
    That should take you directly to the game files and if you're smart enough to make a link there you won't even have to do the whole thing ever again.

well I hope you made sure the interface is working properly for these new sizes, I had some problems with that.
    I guess I'll focus on adding a few more storage objects instead.
    Also your modmanager (the reason I checked out this thread :p) looks quite neat, I'll see if I can find a use for it in the future.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  4. skedone

skedone Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Did I see my bug mate it does it everytime as in it can be reproduced

5. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

It would be brilliant to try this at some time, but...

+1 for Ubuntu problems. 64-bit here also.

6. KrazyTheFox

KrazyTheFox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Aha! I found out why this wasn't working on Macs either and have finally fixed that problem for good. I was writing to the wrong field in the config.ini and it was defaulting to Windows. I've uploaded a new version for you guys that should have this fixed.
    This should fix both launching the game and the bootstrap modifications.

You'll need to delete your config.ini file and have it generate a new one for it to work.

I've got most of the container sizes working, but still need to build the layout for 32-slot containers, which is why I haven't released it yet.

ejh1990 likes this.
  7. ejh1990

You. You are now currently my favourite person. So much thanks. Now I don't have to screw around manually backing up / restoring my assets folder.

Excellent tool, good sir. :)

8. Xuhybrid

Xuhybrid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It doesn't appear to be modifying the bootstrap, and its definitely not modifying the player.config. Is it only merging one direction? What if the player.config has new entries from a patch and the mod uses an old player.config?

9. KrazyTheFox

Thanks! It's feedback like this that makes it all worth it.

I've found the bug you're talking about and will work on a solution once I figure out what's causing it. I think I know, but I need to poke around a bit to be sure.

Once I get the fix uploaded, it will merge all of the changes into a single "patch" mod and place that mod at the top of the load order. It leaves game files and mod files untouched. As for older versions of files, there's not much I can do about that. It'll attempt to merge any differences between the up-to-date game version and the mod's version. I'll see if I can think up a good solution for this.

10. KrazyTheFox

I've uploaded a new version with bug fixes. The problem was that it was tossing out all files that didn't conflict with every mod. I've changed that now so that it only throws out files that don't conflict at all. It should now properly merge all up-to-date mods.

Right now the manager runs a diff algorithm on a per-character basis, meaning that if a mod uses an old file, it will merge based on character differences and not line differences, producing some very ugly results. I'll try to handle this better by having the algorithm diff by line or word, whichever seems to work best in testing.

I'll also be adding in a mod version checker thing soon. If any update introduces a change to any files your mods change, I'll have the mod manager throw up a warning and tell you to fix the mod before trying to use it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  11. ejh1990

No problem! :)

I do have one suggestion, though. A button to remove a mod from the list would be awesome. Editing the ini file works fine, but it's a bit of a faff. If there was a pretty little button that did that for you, it'd be even more amazing. Other than that, I am loving this tool! You would not believe how much easier it's making my life, haha.

12. KrazyTheFox

That button's on its way! I've been focusing on the mod merging the past few days and wanted to get that done, as it's probably the most important feature this can offer. Now that it's working, I'll be shifting my focus to usability improvements, such as that button. In fact, I'm going to be removing the mod list from the ini file entirely and have the program scan the mods directory every start/refresh to see what's installed. If I know where and how mods are being installed, there's no point in keeping yet another list of them.

ejh1990 likes this.
  13. 8BitShadows

8BitShadows Aquatic Astronaut

Awesome! I was really hoping something like this would pop up!

14. CrownFox

CrownFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

Another thing you could do is load the entire file as a data type, then step down the file's data tree, making comparisons. Say File A loads before File B, but they're both the same file, making a conflict. If File A doesn't have the field File B has, then you add File B's field to File A. If File A's field is different then File B's field, but they both have it, you just change File A's data to be the same as File B's data. Once all conflicts are finished, it would spit out the patch.

I, personally, don't know how to program Java, and wouldn't know how to make Json a data type for it, but I'm sure it'd be possible, right?

15. KrazyTheFox

I tried that first, but there were too many "what-ifs" to solve for. The file diff algorithm does a pretty good job of adding in the necessary changes and accounting for deletions. I'd run into the same problem with the way you described, anyway. Mods built for older versions of the game would have outdated versions of the files. This would lead to missing recipes and other game breaking bugs.

CrownFox likes this.
  16. renbear

renbear Cosmic Narwhal

Have any Ubuntu users (and possibly Debian users as well) gotten this to run?

When trying to run this jar, it tells me to install a different version of Java, and directs me to the Oracle website. Is JavaFX compatible with the OpenJDK? I looked into installing the Oracle JRE, but the steps to do so are significantly more involved than I want to undertake right now, and have many, many side-effects.

17. KrazyTheFox

Unfortunately, JavaFX isn't compatible with OpenJDK. They have a version in the works, but it's not done yet.

renbear likes this.
  18. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

I tried running this mod with the "Creative Mode mod" and while it allowed me to place their custom objects, the game crashes when I tried to use them. This is a similar case when using the mod, but not placing their certain folder into assets. As such, I had to manually install their mod which is fine because it is the only one I am using, but when I want to use another mod I would like to know how I can get the Creative Mode mod to work with this loader.

19. KrazyTheFox

It sounds like it may not be packaged correctly for mod manager use, but I can't say for sure until I'm back at my computer. I'll crack it open tomorrow and see if it's a problem with the mod or this program.

Edit: Turns out I can open .rar files on my phone just fine. The mod isn't correctly packaged and will fail to load in the mod manager. Move the contents of the folder inside the archive into the base directory of a new .zip file and it should work. It needs to be in a .zip file as I don't support the .rar format yet.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  20. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

When I saw that it was a .rar file I extracted it and re-compressed it into a .zip file which was the state I wrote my original post. After shuffling the location of the .zip file around in the asset directory (I had it in another directory previously) it still won't work with your loader.