1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound Lag Issues

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by EagleEye, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EagleEye

EagleEye Yeah, You!

I have a decent computer the specs are:

Processor: AMD A6-3420M APU
    with Radeon(tm) HD
    Graphics 1.50 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.47 GB
    usable)

System type: 64-bit operating system

In a dungeon, village, or when it's raining i am getting 5-10 FPS. Anywhere else I am getting 10-20 FPS.
    I have tried renaming .exes, playing through opengl, running as admin, turning off accessibility modes, I've even tried Razor Game Booster.It just doesn't seem like i should be getting this FPS with these specs.

NOTHING IS WORKING.... Please help!

2. stopdroprole

stopdroprole Poptop Tamer

(THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOUR USING STEAM) First right click steam.exe and select properties, then go to compatibility, if the box that says "compatibility mode" is grayed out and you cant select anything then do this: Go to run on your start bar, from there do this "Run" -> type "regedit" then go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" and delete the steam application, and then do the same thing to this --> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted" after that it should run perfectly! (the very last folder in your "regedit" could also be named "Layers")

3. EagleEye

EagleEye Yeah, You!

Atfirst it really seemed like it worked.. But then i went into a dungeon an it went downhill :/. Thanks for the help though!

4. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

I get down to 30-40 fps from a steady 60 in dungeons. i think it's normal for right now.
    at least until they fix the interaction issues with steam.

Sonicsmash2 likes this.
  5. Turtwig321

Turtwig321 Cosmic Narwhal

List your GPU's full name such as Radeon HD ####
    And list your CPU's number of cores and speed.
    Also list the operating system's NAME.

I'll try to help once you do ;)

6. EagleEye

EagleEye Yeah, You!

I uh... Dumb question but... How does one find that information?

7. Turtwig321

If you are running Windows hit: Windows Key+R

Type "dxdiag" and hit enter

8. EagleEye

EagleEye Yeah, You!

Operating System is: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, build 7601)
    Radeon HD 6520G (4 CPU's), 1.5GHz

Don't know how to find the speed though....

9. Turtwig321

The cpu speed is listed under "processor" on the first page

10. EagleEye

EagleEye Yeah, You!

it doesn't seem to be there?

11. Turtwig321

It should have a line that looks like: "Processor: AMD A6-3420M CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz"

12. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

Radeon HD 6520G (4 CPU's), 1.5GHz

this seems to be his CPU.... a radeon HD cpu? what? 1.5ghz is certainly a measure of CPU speed and not graphics... also it lists 4 cpus

13. EagleEye

EagleEye Yeah, You!

Amd A6-3240M APU with Radeon(tm) Hd Graphics (4 CPUs), ~1.5GHz

That is the EXACT line under "processor".

14. Turtwig321

I use AMD/Radeon in my desktop and know for a fact that Radeon always refers to the GPU, "Radeon HD 6520G (4 CPU's), 1.5GHz" IS his GPU.

15. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

that's strange...

^ but as he said. it seems to be his cpu, or part of it? perhaps it's a joined gpu/cpu integrated?

16. Turtwig321

Then that changes things, if it is integrated then the cores and speed are for the cpu, if not then the cores and speed refer to the gpu, like my desktop card "Radeon HD 6670 Dual Core 1.8 GHz"

17. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

the thing that points it out to me though, is that gpu's mention cores and not cpus. his says (4 cpus)

But if it's listed under processor, it is most likely an integrated gpu/cpu unit.

regardless, this is getting off topic.

@EagleEye
    Your CPU seems to be about 1.5 ghz. which ispretty low. this is a cpu intensive game, not only that, but it has a bad problem with steam integration that breaks performance pretty badly at the moment.

The lag you may be experiencing could just be normal for now, until they fix this, or release the DRM free version.

18. Turtwig321

Its just how you prefer to say it, CPUs means Cores.

19. EagleEye

EagleEye Yeah, You!

Alright... It is in beta so i'm not "surprised" this is happening. However i do realize that these specs could be quite a lot better. Thanks guys!

20. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

sort of. but GPU cores are individual GPUS, CPU cores are individual CPUs. Cores can refer to either of them, but cpus is strictly for cpus, as the central processing unit is a very specific thing.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I really hope they fix the steam issues soon too. dropping to 30 fps in a heavy platforming dungeon, or an apex town isn't particularly nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.