1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound is Unplayable

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by CowboySpaceship, Dec 16, 2016.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Like I said, Minecraft mobs can't do anything if there is more than 1 block gap. If they cant draw a line to you, they stop. I never said Starbound AI was perfect, but it is factually better.

Also, you are thinking basic mob AI is the only AI.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see 2 NPCs clearly pathfinding to me AND jumping up an incline with an overhang. So your test was faulty from the start.

And yes, they do know about blocks above them.
    http://i.imgur.com/FgUvWYj.png

One more for good measure.
    http://i.imgur.com/ikPRJ35.png
    Here you can see some of the points the NPCs are considering for viable locations. This shows a bit of complexity that Minecraft mobs simply do not have. Their one and only goal is "get to the player and touch them".

Sure we have powerful computers, and we get games with much more advanced and robust systems. Arguing that a game from 20 years ago holds a candle to the capabilities to a modern game of equivalent design is simply stupid. There were a lot of good old game, not arguing that, but lets be real here.

Again, 1984 Elite, the game "world" was procedural... so every place you went, even places you had been to before, was regenerated and thus different. TES 2 had this issue as well. The game world was HUGE, but it had zero persistence because of memory limitations. So with that alone, modern games are superior in design.

Old games had tons of limitations they had to overcome, meaning they had to sacrifice bits of the game to make things fit.

Well, most game develoers don't have this mentality, soo...

Making thier games able to realistically run on as many systems as possible improved their market saturation potential. It is in their best interest to make their game run as well as realistically possible.

No, not necessaraly. Since the game loads worlds in chunks, if you go to a storage area, the game has to load up the world and thus the chests and all their contents. More storage containers with lots of items in them means more to load. More to load, potential for lag. This is where SSDs really shine because they obviously make loading lots of data less of an issue.

When going to a settlement with lots of NPCs, you now have a lot of AI that needs to be kickstarted. Suddenly you have a heavy load to process.

Care to share that world file so I can test it out for myself? Honestly, I am interested because I really have had little to no issue with this game, so a chance to potentially break things will help me understand what is going on better.

Also note, Starbound is not written to use all cores, so, for example,if you have a quad core and your CPU is maxing at 25%, (Not necessaraly with starbound) then that is a sign of bottlenecking in the CPU of one core. I see this with Solidworks because they can't make it multi-threaded due to how the physics needs to be processed, and you see a single core getting capped out which reads as 25% CPU usage, not 100%.

Lastly, 2GB of memory usage is normal.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    LuciferSam_86 likes this.
  2. spunts144

spunts144 Void-Bound Voyager

Hey would you like to take a look at my game file? I've been having NPC path-finding issues with FU+ and would love to know if there's some kind of limitation I haven't realized. I would look at it myself if I knew what I was doing but I just get lost in game code.

Attached Files:

3. lazarus78

Aside from Spooky Tweaks having a couple of things that fail to patch, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong as far as game operation is concerned. If you think it has to do with FU, you should comment on the mod thread and see if the mod author knows anything, if there is anything wrong at all.

4. spunts144

spunts144 Void-Bound Voyager

It appears to be an issue with the "ship Storage Locker" that I half filled with weapons from the mod "Weapon Mega Pack" plus vanilla. Haven't quite nailed it down but I'm pretty sure it has to do with storage mods. Moved storage locker back to my ship. Consolidated and sold off weapons I wasn't planning on using and it fixed all the lag. Still, it skips a few frames in my ship so I'm unsure what I should do. Also I'm having trouble with a second mod. Not that it's worth note but, it's the "weapon fusion" mod. It's causing some scripting error's.
    I'm about ready to start learning how to script in lua so I can make my own mods. I'm bored with frustration. Also it seems like fun to learn.

5. WallyBW93

WallyBW93 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Only get a lagging problem when my battery is low

6. lazarus78

Sounds like your laptop going through low power battery saver mode. That would answer that issue.

7. WallyBW93

WallyBW93 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yea I just plug it up and continue, I have it set like that so I know when my battery is low.

8. lazarus78

Yeah, then that wouldn't be an issue with the game. That is just a side effect of your laptop.