Dev Blog Starbound is Leaving Orbit on 22 July!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Meh.

After waiting for this game ever since Day 1 of Steam EA, it seems kinda sad that a month and a half before release, they would make the game almost unplayable for me right before release.

Sigh.

And worst thing of it is, they're refusing to even talk about the issue. I can't play Starbound with that hot mess of a UI that they added on June 8th. I tried a Nightly playthrough and it is just too clunky, too restrictive, not enough buttons. I tried to like it, I tried to tell myself "You'll get used to it." but it just ain't happening.

Every time I wish I had a flash light, every time I wish I had a grappling hook or ropes available, I find myself yet again silently cursing the new hotbar and wishing I had the old one or at least a better one still.

So I suppose if they refuse to talk about or change it, July 21st will probably be the last day I play Starbound, if I even play it between now and then. Their continued refusal to talk about it has really left a sour taste in my mouth, to the point I simply cannot promote the game or the company.

It'd been different if they hadn't dodged 50+ questions about it on the Q&A, it'd be different if they'd at least compile a few of the more common ideas and tell us why they wouldn't work or why they don't want to do it, or something that tells me that they actually care what our opinions are.

Multiple ideas were suggested that would make us happy and everybody who likes the new hotbar happy. We'd almost all be happy and they wouldn't be that hard to implement... but of course... silence.

So meh.

If they don't change it, I suppose I won't be playing the game much at all. I might tinker with it, but... the excitement is gone. Some might think I'm overreacting... but I'm sorry, I cannot be excited about a game that is clunky and it feels like I'm trying to play it with two left hands and three thumbs and my foot/toes on the mouse. I cannot be excited about developers who ignore hot-topics and refuse to talk about them.

No offense to Chucklefish meant, and I would forgive them if they'd at least make an effort to talk about it, but as things currently stand... I have zero excitement for this game now. It's a crying shame, after having supported them ever since Day 1 of Steam EA.

2. Azidoazide Azide

Azidoazide Azide Void-Bound Voyager

If starbound is releasing on the the 22, does that mean Direct X rendering will not return? If so, then the finished version of the game will be entirely unplayable for me. :chrono::cry:

Jimlad 42 and Combozone like this.
  3. CostumeBlitz

CostumeBlitz Void-Bound Voyager

InB4 is actual July 23

But seriously awesome. Cant wait to finally play this game for 3 months straight with my friend group.

4. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Wish for Gaben and rngjesus for a mod that changes that
    i dont like it either :/

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Gaben isn't going to interfere with the development of a game on Steam, and please don't blaspheme the Lord.

That said, either the devs actually consider our idea and actually open up and talk to us about it, or we're simply stuck with it and it's their way or the highway.

Well, guess I gotta fill up on gas....

It's just a sad, sad shame how fast a development team can kill excitement for a game with one overnight change, and then just bury their heads in the sands like the problem will just go away. Yeah, the problem will go away -- a bunch of players will stop playing and promoting the game.

It's just so frustrating because the problem would be so bloody easy to fix!

Seriously.

12 button hotbar. Several mockups have been done and posted. Pick one. Can't be that hard to do.

6. SPOOKS80

SPOOKS80 Pangalactic Porcupine

It's been a long journey but one we have all enjoyed, thanks Chucklefish :D

7. Covenant

Covenant Void-Bound Voyager

I really hope the memory leaks will be fixed now. Congratz guys

8. chusmimax

chusmimax Poptop Tamer

You know that you have double tab pressing x, don't you? i feel that it was quite a big improvement for a 2handed game, as it was really messy to change second hand object. But well, everyone to its own.

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Hotbar swapping confuses me. I tend to forget which hotbar I have active, and then when an emergency situation comes up like I'm suddenly attacked without warning, I find myself stumbling and fumbling for 3-5 seconds trying to get "back into my zen" because of the hotbar confusion. It is very disruptive to my thinking and flow, and it causes things like forgetfulness (I'll forget what I was trying to do before the interruption, and I'll have trouble trying to recover) and disorientation.

This is why I ALWAYS disabled hotbar swapping in every game that has it, and said games usually give options to display extra hotbars on-screen as well as assign hotkeys to the extra hotbars.

For example, WoW.

WoW gives you 1 standard hotbar and 9 more that you can get to by doing Shift+up and Shift+down. I disabled those two hotkeys and drug out three hotbars -- one directly above the first, one to the right of it, and one vertical against the right edge of the screen. I assigned Shift+numbers to the one on the left, Ctrl+numbers to the one on the right, and no keybindings on the one on the right edge of the screen (those were purely out-of-combat buttons like crafting windows, commonly-used out of combat quest-related items, etc).

10. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

i was just reffering to dankers and memers at YT :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Wow

11. Johnbrickblaster

Johnbrickblaster Void-Bound Voyager

Floran: Floran ssso excited!! Must ssstab!!
    Glitch: Excited. This has been a long time coming.
    Avian: Oh praise Kluex, our time has finally come!
    Apex: ...I'm afraid to truly express just how excited I am, lest Big Ape hears me.
    Hylotl: *trying to keep their composure* ...SQUEEEEEEE!!!!~
    Novakid: Yeehaw! I can't wait fer this to..... Wait, what're we excited about?
    Human: *turns towards camera with Solid Snake mask* Kept you waitin, huh?

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talkin' about:

[​IMG]

I no longer play that game, but you can see there's a hotbar on the left... one above it..... one to the right of it and one against the right edge of the screen. This is an older character from back when I did Alt+numbers for the right edge, but I never actually USED alt+numbers... I mouse-clicked them instead. The one on the top is my leatherworking button, then leather scrap combination, fishing pole, runningform, cooking fire, cooking, and a couple mount buttons. Non-combat stuff as I said.

Combozone likes this.
  13. ECFOX

ECFOX Void-Bound Voyager

Yes I think

14. BloodyMonarch

BloodyMonarch Astral Cartographer

How the heck could you possibly be "confused" by having one alternate tab when you played a game like WoW? Look at all the stuff going on. Starbound's hotbar is half as complicated as those MMO bars.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Here's what happens:

I have Hotbar #1 active. Hotbar #2 probably has non-combat stuff like grappling hook, building blocks, torches, etc. Let's say I'm in a cave and I'm trying to climb down one of the many many death trap caves in SB these days. So I switch to Hotbar #2 and hit, say, the 3 key which has ropes.

I climb down and mob attacks me. On instinct, I hit the #1 key. On Hotbar #1, I have my Sword&Shield on Hotkey #1. On Hotbar #2, Hotkey #1 happens to be, say, a watering can.

I hit the 1 key and start clicking away. 1-2 seconds is lost in realizing that that I'm dumping water on a mob and I probably get hit once or twice. Then it finally dawns on me, "wrong hotbar!"

Okay, hit X to switch. X is actually kind of in an awkward place... I'd never bind X to anything because I have to actually lift my hand a bit, because I use an ergonomic keyboard (I cannot type on a normal keyboard; my wrists lock up within 5-10 minutes and they hurt bad if I try and I end up making numerous typing errors); the X key is in-between the S and D key, like this:

[​IMG]

So anyways, I must lift my hand a little so that my ring finger can reach behind and hit X. Then I can hit "1" and THEN I can swing at the enemy.

By this time I will have gotten hit 3-5 times and I'm probably running around looking for a place to hide while I'm doing this and my flow of thought has been disrupted, I'm disoriented and trying to get back into the 'zen' of gaming and trying to mentally re-map what each key does in my mind.

But with MMOs like that WoW Screenshot I have above....

1 does this
    2 does that
    3 does that over there
    shift+1 does this
    shift+2 does that
    shift+3 does that over there
    ctrl+1 does this
    ctrl+2 does that
    ctrl+3 does that over there

I don't have to "re-map" keys in my mind.

16. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

HOLY CRAP, A RELEASE DATE FOR STARBOUND!

The apocalypse has finally begun,
    Pigs are learning how to fly,
    The devil is skiing his way to work,
    And I think I've just become a monkey's uncle.

17. ckstonge

ckstonge Void-Bound Voyager

Well, as for the hotbar - I think it just adds a layer of difficulty to the game personally.

But I like that in a game.

As for the date - yeah, July 22 is gonna be a tough day for me. I finally gotta stop playing nightly and go over to the Stable Release!

Grats to the devs, artists and the rest of Chucklefish for a great game that many are super-hyped over!

And maybe some Novakid love for storyline? Or at least a random novakid building/wanderer every now and then?

18. chusmimax

chusmimax Poptop Tamer

I'm with you, in fact, i like to label in starbound the tabs as combat and construction tab, having one exclusively for combat and the other for multipurpose. This would be stupid impossible in wow, as everything important is made for combat and, what isn't, is not as important as to have it on the main toolbars

Jimlad 42, Ainzoal and Combozone like this.
  19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Using the UI to create challenge in the game is one of the major examples over at TvTropes for "FakeDifficulty".

Most people hate that, btw.

That's why I stuck crafting/item buttons on the far right toolbar that was mouse-clicked, lol. It saves you from having to open menus to get to your crafting buttons. Dunno about you, but I hated having to open the spellbook to find my smithing button or what-not. *shrug*

But anyways I explained why hotbar swapping will not work with me, ever.

Jimlad 42, Combozone and Pingeh like this.
  20. JayZulko

JayZulko Void-Bound Voyager

This game was the first thing I bought and installed on my first fresh, personal laptop. I was interested immediately when I read about its Kickstart.
    Recently I decided to erase my files and start fresh. After the delete I decided to wait until 1.0 dropped in case of any dramatic changes that would occur.
    I'm very excited.