1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound... Hype?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by BitHorizon, Mar 27, 2014.

1. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

It seems like far fewer people are playing Starbound than ever. Starbound is now the 50th most bought game on Steam and only 29th most played, as opposed to before when it held one of the most played and most bought game for quite a while.

Are people just burned out on it after playing it all at once and getting bored, despite the updates, or is it something else?

2. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Burned out, I would say. Games are great when they first come out, especially when playing with a friend. The updates are getting more spaced out and not as much are in them. Mods can really help with that

3. Lord Bit

Lord Bit Space Penguin Leader

I doubt this will go on much longer. I've stopped playing it a bit too as has my brother, but we're only waiting for the bigger updates. I plan on coming back when ship upgrades come here, and so does he. What I think most people are waiting for is Novakid's or the full release.

4. Nieskalany

Nieskalany Subatomic Cosmonaut

we want pvp!

Villhelm likes this.
  5. Lord Bit

Lord Bit Space Penguin Leader

We have PvP, I believe you are talking about the PvP-forced-in-X-Sector rule mentioned to come.

6. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

Isn't that already in

Yeah, people are burned out.. I am too, I'm waiting for the progression system.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  7. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Happens EVERY game, people are simply waiting for new updates.
    That's already in since some patches.

Finn Learson and Serenity like this.
  8. Mowen

Mowen Void-Bound Voyager

Waiting for the progression system here too!

Beta burnout syndrome is bad with open betas like this, so it's not surprising. I'm sure it will pick back up when it's released for Playstation / when new beta phases happen.

Serenity and Rune the Red Panda like this.
  9. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Waiting for full release mostly. Love the game but have patience to play it when it's fully formed. Also don't want to burn my self out like alot of people have. I know the feeling am pretty burnt out of minecraft, played it since late alpha.

Finn Learson likes this.
  10. Noobverest

Noobverest Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's only so many times I can do the same thing without getting bored

From Dec 5th to January/Februaryish I've gone from naked man to impervium 3 times

so I kinda "beat the game" three times then messed around with mods (which added another 50 hours of fun time)

I would assume others that play starbound have experienced this and yea

TL;DR

I think we've all burned out.

11. Samsies. I still love minecraft as a game, just played the balls off of it throughout it's development. I played a decent amount of Starbound, I still check out some of the neater mods though. Waiting to see what's in store for these bigger updates.

Serenity likes this.
  12. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

The upside to Early Access...you get tons of money to fund your project. The downside...the hype and excitement fizzles fast due to lack of content/completeness. You definitely risk losing a playerbase through early access. Here's to hoping the majority of people come back and give the game a shot once final release hits.

Villhelm and Serenity like this.
  13. HexZyle

HexZyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I play it using the launcher rather than opening it through steam, too much hassle with the latter method.

Tamorr likes this.
  14. vrenth

vrenth Subatomic Cosmonaut

Quite honestly, I feel like the developers have lost steam, or they have invested too much time elsewhere (other games/publishing). We are seeing so few changes to the core game that I feel the modders are better starbound developers than the actual starbound devs. I havn't played the game much in the last month or so for these reasons. Unless development (or at the very least communication) ramps up soon, I will likely lose interest and check it out at release (in 5-15 years).

D-16, Galacticon and GameQB11 like this.
  15. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

I'd imagine they would have a more active player base if they gave adventure maps more support. I'm just saying, a creative mode would help.

16. Sir Orange

Sir Orange Ketchup Robot

It is something to be expected from a beta game. The updates can't be rushed so once people are done with discovering what the current version of the game has to offer, they stop and wait until the next significant update to discover what's new in said update.

Serenity and Akado like this.
  17. XtremeNinja45

XtremeNinja45 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well ive heard a alot people saying it looks crap. Because of the "Graphics"
    Why don't people like them?

It seems People care more about graphics than anything.

18. MarcusDemonicus

MarcusDemonicus Space Kumquat

flashiness over substance. that seems to be what most folks want nowadays. look at movies. if there arent massive explosions and cgi it just doesnt hold "most" of todays generations attention. same with the news. "if it bleeds, it leads".
    this is why we have so much dreck like all the transformers movies, enders game(which should have been awesome but blew), elysium, etc...no one cares about acting or a good story anymore.

19. XtremeNinja45

XtremeNinja45 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Glad you said it
    Half the people buy games for their graphics

20. FoxDE

FoxDE Void-Bound Voyager

considering all the games and considering that it isn't even finished yet, I think that 50 and 29 isn't so bad.

After all, it has to compete with poker night 2 :eek: