1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

"Starbound has stopped working..."

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by WaxingPolemic, May 21, 2017.

1. WaxingPolemic

WaxingPolemic Yeah, You!

Hello all!

This seems a somewhat common issue, and I apologize if I missed anything -- I did try the suggestions in the related sticky and a few other threads I saw, but to no avail. Here's my situation:

Haven't played in months since before upgrading to a newer computer. I installed Starbound straight away but hadn't tried playing until today. Immediately after booting from Steam I get the error message in the title. I get the same problem booting from the .exe file. I'm trying to play the stable 64-bit version.

The game was initally installed in my E:/Applications folder, but I also tried moving it to the SSD that Windows (10 Home) is installed on, within the steam-install folder, using the Properties > Local Files tab > Move Install Folder option within steam. I uninstalled the game files and reinstalled; same problem. I verified the integrity of the install; all good. AFAIK, all of my drivers are up-to-date as well. I manually installed the latest AMD drivers for my card just yesterday after having issues with the HDMI-output appearing and then disappearing from my Audio Playback Devices list (it's still finicky if I'm honest, but I don't think that's the issue here).

My specs are as follows:

3.2ghz quad-core i5
    radeon rx 480, 4 gb VRAM
    16 gb RAM
    game currently installed on 250gb SSD with about 2/3 available storage

I've attached my starbound.log file if that helps any.

Thanks in advance! I really look forward to scratching my current Starbound itch.

EDIT: I'm a bit of an ignoramus, so I don't know if this means anything or helps, but I tried running the 32-bit version and got "Fatal Error: Access violation detected at 140D62F9** (Read of address 00000008) with a laundry list of [28] issues that I don't understand, followed thereafter by the same "Starbound has stopped working..." error from before.

**I had to run it a few times to get the error code right, and that particular string of characters was different each time

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2017