1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound Graphic Exception error

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by feralway, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feralway

feralway Orbital Explorer

Hi,
    I just bought Starbounder and when I choose my Avian character the game crashes leaving this message.

GraphicsException: Could not create a HAL device: Back buffer not supported/ Hardware acceleration is not available. Back buffer format: 22
    00408E5C

Sometimes I manage to play it launching the safemode but the game lags a lot. I use a notebook but I don't think it's his fault, I play games like Arkham Origin on it in high quality. Thank you again.

2. Archs

Archs Big Damn Hero

Hey Feral..

I'm getting the same error.. After hitting 'launch Starbound' a small black window opens entitled 'Starbound Beta' then it stays black for about 30secs or so.. then the same error as you have pops up. It's very frustrating not being able to play a game you've paid for and you know thousands of others are already playing.

3. DerBrunoBaumann

DerBrunoBaumann Void-Bound Voyager

Same with me. I will just wait for the update.. maybe things will change..

4. feralway

feralway Orbital Explorer

The update was released this morning. When I'll get back home I'll try the game. I Hope it will work properly :c

5. Maxak

Maxak Poptop Tamer

All the same error, nothing not fixes.

6. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

Same, except mine says "GraphicsException: Could not create the direct3d device: creation call was invalid"

7. Soyah

Soyah Space Hobo

I've been having the exact same problem. I've gotten both of these error messages. It happens while I'm in game when I try to travel to another planet, usually when selecting the planet navigator. It sometimes happens when I teleport from my ship to the planet I am currently at. My game will freeze, zoom in on my character and then the screen turns black. It crashes after a minute of the game freezing.

8. Kanedork

Kanedork Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm having a vaguely similar error, with the Starbound Beta window staying open and black. It doesn't give me any errors, it just stays there indefinitely and the logs reveal a graphics exception error, and a loop of unlocked vertex buffers. ):

9. Archs

Archs Big Damn Hero

mine is working in openGL with the latest update.. hope yours is too

10. sandco3

sandco3 Poptop Tamer

How do I fix the error graphicException could not create the direct3d device?

MEWMEW likes this.
  11. MEWMEW

i haven't even got to the starting screen yet, the window stays black for about 3 minutes, then closes with a direct3d device graphics errors... I'm so fucking sad. Also what's the difference between the normal game and the OpenLg one?

12. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

13. Kanedork

Kanedork Subatomic Cosmonaut

OpenGL shouldn't give you those errors, if I recall correctly. The regular unlabeled version relies(?) on DirectX (so it eats a load of RAM but runs better on crappier videocards), whereas the OpenGL one uses, uh, OpenGL. Depending on whether your card supports it fully, it'll either run flawlessly and cleaner than the regular version, or at unplayable FPS.

Disclaimer: This is kinda what I've deduced from the whole thing, but it's perfectly possible that I'm talking out of my ass. You should give OpenGL a try anyway, if you haven't already and if the above fix doesn't help.

14. Adriano-kun

Adriano-kun Space Spelunker

To fix the "GraphicsException: Could not create the direct3d device: creation call was invalid", I used 3D Analyzer with the HW TnL emulator. It has some FPS issue when you are in dungeons and when it's raining, but it's better than nothing..

"GraphicsException: Could not create a HAL device: Back buffer not supported/ Hardware acceleration is not available."
    That's another error, is caused by the HW acceleration, run dxdiag and check if Direct3D and Direct Draw Acceleration are enabled. Check also what DirectX version you use and write it.
    What are your pc spec?

15. MEWMEW

OpenGL error... Is my computer just too shitty?

16. Adriano-kun

Adriano-kun Space Spelunker

It means your VGA hasn't opengl 2.0 .

17. fredmay20

fredmay20 Phantasmal Quasar

Sorry, but yes, if your computer doesn't support open GL... :/

18. MEWMEW

Great, guess I'll just stick to watching videos. Lucky I won a key instead of paying real money....

19. fredmay20

fredmay20 Phantasmal Quasar

It doesn't meant your computer doesn't support it. You just might not have it.

20. MEWMEW

So, how do I get it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.