1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound FPS LAG

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Paisan, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paisan

Paisan Subatomic Cosmonaut

I tried and I still received the same amounts of lag. Thanks a lot for posting this though, I appreciate it. I hope it helps some of the others who lag.

2. Tarman

Tarman Big Damn Hero

Still lagging for me. I was able to play unstable with zero issues, but after it became "stable" it's been lagging out consistently to the point of vacant chunks travelling either left, right, or down. Lighting FX work but I can't interact with anything for minutes at a time. It's unplayable.

3. lordnune

lordnune Intergalactic Tourist

Tarman - did you try my suggestion?

4. Hysterics

Hysterics Aquatic Astronaut

Since you seem curious, I'm running an fx8350, 650ti, 16gb ram, and installed on a SSD. The game runs extremely poorly. Also installed on the same machine, and same drive, is GTA V, which I have running at 1080p and on medium - high settings... Just saying, there's definitely issues here, It's not a matter of lesser cores that are stronger, because even two of my cores are fairly powerful. It's a coding and optimization issue through and through.

5. nimmerland

nimmerland Existential Complex

On one side a finally released multimillion $ AAA+ title of a series that advanced over years. Took years to develop. Was released after an additional delay and relases on consoles before. Hardware manufacturers optimising their drivers for it. On the other side is a preorder of Starbound in Beta stage 1 of 3. Optimization stage has not been hit yet.

Also, please notice @lordnune's post on page 1 about deleting / renaming the universe folder which will help when chunks are not loaded. Further reading can be done in the Basic Troubleshooting Guidelines (sticky) on top of In-Game & Billing support. There are three Launch options on Windows at the moment to give a try (DirectX 32bit, OpenGL 32bit and OpenGL 64bit experimental but with better performance).

6. TheLolingPain

TheLolingPain Aquatic Astronaut

Mmm I had a lag issue, it can be reduced with a smoother but it might have a matrix like speed...

Simply go to "Your starbound directory/giraffe_storage/starbound.xml"

Then Scroll all the way down and edit the following

"maxFrameSkip" : "Add a value of your liking, I have it at 8" ("Drop it too much and you will get matrix speed")

"renderSleep" : false "Doesn't do much but I did notice a smoother world"

"vsync" : false

Other options would be, update to nightly builds, lastest stable, "Lower the resolution of the game, most viable one", update graphic cards ("I got an AMD APU-E450") game runs fine and at a tolerable speed despite the bad CPU with a slow 1.6Ghz
    :giggle:

Hope it helps!

EDIT:

Saw the replies, it must be the AMD CPU, even mine is really bad for now a days games, like I said the game runs fine enough for me, "About 20 fps most of the time" with lag spikes of about 8 (Didn't notice much after this, and in the nightly), and if im in a npc crowded area about 10 fps...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.