1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound FPS Lag

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by nathan00107, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

Hello all.

I have been getting really low FPS lately. On the ship I get 60. On the planet I get 20-30. When it rains I get 15-20. When I get close to a generated structure I get 5-10. This is really irritating as I have the system requirements to run the game smoothly. Has anyone else been experiencing lag and/or how did you fix it?

AMD Athlon II X4 630 (4 Core) ~2.8GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4350
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    6GB RAM

Thank you.

The Alien Way likes this.
  2. nathan00107

3. Sord213

Sord213 Industrial Terraformer

4. nathan00107

Nope, I don't have the entries in my regedit.

5. Kobting

Kobting Space Penguin Leader

6. nathan00107

Nope, this also didn't work.

7. TheCoolSideofthePillow

TheCoolSideofthePillow Astral Cartographer

I have noticed the game runs a lot smoother without any slowdowns when running in true fullscreen. Fullscreen window or window has choppy FPS, especially in dungeons.

8. nathan00107

For me, I get better fps in 1000 x 600 than 1600 x 900 fullscreen

9. DELTAG1AN90

DELTAG1AN90 Space Hobo

I have a different problem, in the ship it runs completely slow and in earth it runs a bit better.
    I have mods but this never happened!!!

10. Medz!

Medz! Yeah, You!

Hey... I just found this thread as i was combing the internet in search of a solution to this 'low fps' problem and nothing seems to work. I have nearly the same specifications (same processor and graphics card) as you on my other PC and i think it's to do with the Radeon graphic cards are not optimized yet for Starbound... I found that Razor's Game Booster helps, but only a little and editing the registry just makes it worse. I think the best thing to do is just wait until they optimize Radeon graphic cards (which should be in Beta Stage 2) in a month or so...

11. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

I get the same result as OP, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz, 4gb ram, Intel integrated GMA 4500mhd craphics card :p I've tried four million fixes and none provide a change in the way the lag acts, so I'm just waiting on optimization (more than that, waiting on this upcoming patch as it does include a few good early optimizations/memory leak fixes!!)

12. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

My i7 920 with a 1gb HD6870 and 12gb of DDR3 runs full-speed at 1x zoom at 1600x900, with no slowdown except when there are a large number of physics or scripted objects on screen (collapsing sand, large dungeons). Starbound is never using more than ~1.5gb RAM/~150mb vram, and barely ever hits 100% usage on a single core.

That's with a clean, stock Starbound, and no bizarre hacks in place to disable a bunch of services or other processes before starting the game. No SSD, and I'm using around 90% of the space on each of my three internal HDDs. I *do* have the Steam Overlay disabled, but that's because I want no notifications. It makes no performance difference.

I do get some minor slowdown at 1920x1080 in fullscreen. I can fix that by switching to a legitimate, supported zoom level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.