1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Food Stacking

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by EpicVirus, Jul 30, 2016.

1. EpicVirus

EpicVirus Space Hobo

With the new starbound update, a hunger meter is present making food an essential unlike before. There are two major ways to get food, hunting and farming. One requires care and an ideal location for crops and the latter will not always provide meat.

That being said, growing crops is easy since you can do other tasks while they grow. However, the crops don't stack! For example, 11 carrots will take up 11 slots instead of 1 (this does not apply to every food item). This ends up taking a lot of space, and I mean a lot. I really think that in the next update, Chucklefish should make it so everything stacks.

:p

2. Darkling

Darkling Void-Bound Voyager

Eggs dont stack up as i had to notice when i wanted to buy a 100 from a merchant

My favourite would be that all basic ingredients stack like rice and sugar already do
    so i think Tomatoes Potatoes eggs milk and such should stack

3. ProjectET

ProjectET Void-Bound Voyager

you can get workshop mods that allow you to stack food

4. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

*psst. This is the wrong place for this thread. Post this in the suggestions page or starbound discussions page. Not general discussion.

5. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

It's pretty much just as essential as it was before though. The bar isn't new, it was there in the betas before hunger was taken out to be reworked. The only difference now is that all food has a freshness rating, so each needs to have their own individual tracking of it, that's why they can't be stacked, unless that mod found out a way. It's also not like they take up space either; food has it's own dedicated tab in your inventory, you didn't have this before.

Still, if you could stack then there's really nothing stopping you dedicating a few in-game days of cooking 200 potatoes (which take a long time to rot) and never have to worry about going hungry again.

Ainzoal and Yusuke Urameshi like this.
  6. Qbi Wan

Qbi Wan Pangalactic Porcupine

For me, it doesn't have to stack. But eating is taking too much time right now. All I want is to bookmark ALL f.e. baked potatoes at once, so when I get really hungry I don't need to stuff all my action bar with food. So basically - One place bookmarked with one type of dish = eat all dishes of that type from your inventory.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  7. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

You don't have too. Just eat straight from your inventory. Click the food in your bag, drag outside the inventory window and click. This works not with this with not just food, but with all items. Blocks, weapons, even instruments. Been like this in the game for years now.

8. Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

I just started playing when 1.0 came out and did not know this. Thanks for the info!

9. Qbi Wan

Yeah, thanks ^_^ Still, it takes some time to drag-&-drop 5 pieces of food. When I'm digging deep down, I'd like to just click hotkey nr6, click lmb few times & be back in business. It's not efficient enough.

10. Dander.1981

Dander.1981 Subatomic Cosmonaut

You never need to carry more than 2-3 full course meals (such as shepherds pie or hamburger) with you. As you are likely to have filled your inventory with other treasures or fulfilled your objective before needing to eat the last one.

But with that being said! I'd love it if Chucklefish devs took some inspiration from the "don't starve" game. There you have stackable food WITH rot system. And the rotten inedible food is reusable as manure for the crops. Not because I want to be able to carry around more food, but rather my fridges is rather stuffed. >.< .. that and those with huge farms might appreciate not having to run back and forth a billion times during every harvest.

Addendum: Or they could introduce a craftable robot that automatically water, harvest, replant and store/sell. And for a CPU we'll use the brain from one of the local monsters, because that will never go wrong! ( veteran joke :p )

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  11. Qbi Wan

I'm still using fireplace for cooking :rofl: Popcorn is not much of the full meal. Still, as you said: they're better ways of doing so.

12. Dander.1981

Dander.1981 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Before I were able to build my own food cart, I borrowed the one at the outpost. :)

13. grimandevil

grimandevil Lucky Number 13

1.find a planet with mushroom trees.
    2.chop them all.
    3.make a mushroom farm.
    4.harvest 100 mushrooms at once, that stack and dont spoil.
    5.replant
    6. ...
    7.PROFIT!

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  14. EpicVirus

EpicVirus Space Hobo

I literally have 3 fully stacked fridges of food :rofl: (and thanks Jareix Cryvix)

15. Lintton

Lintton Guest

There are crops that stack their ingredients, which you can then cook.
    It takes a lot of space...in the food inventory bar where all the food and seeds go. and if are needing that many on your person at all times, storage or cooking can help.
    There is a point to the food not stacking, this is to keep people from hoarding food immediately at the outset. Will people get into the position where they will have more food than they can eat? Of course, but it is a thing to work towards.

16. EpicVirus

EpicVirus Space Hobo

Yeah I guess, it's just such a drag that it takes up that much space

17. Ispano

Ispano Phantasmal Quasar

Not really? If it used your main inventory I could see the issue with it taking up space. But with its own bag basically, it should be a non issue. This is coming from someone who strip mines just about every plant/etc I come across.