Dev Blog Starbound at EGX Rezzed

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

They try to do better, and you still complain. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm sure they could but yet it's more about when they have actual time to do something like that. And/or demand for it, if enough players ask for it, etc.

Let's give them time to try stuff like that.

That is, when they're not messing around with console releases/updates/certs/etc.

STCW262 likes this.
  3. CacklePhish

CacklePhish Void-Bound Voyager

They damned themselves way before they even bothered to release their game properly. So don't blame me for their failures. Their whole game is a bunch of carelessly tacked-on gimmicks with several pre-made locations for a weak storyline.

4. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The ports would be better received if they had started working on them after polishing the game more, specially if done while there's no update in sight.

5. 3nding

3nding Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]
    I was working on this meme as a reply but since I have to put it on a console..

And I hoped the similarities with No Man's Sky were finally over.

:nope:

6. Severyx

Severyx Void-Bound Voyager

This sure would be nice. The main reason I was looking forward to 1.4 was in the API changes.

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I'm only blaming you for being unreasonable/impossible to please. They found the bounty hunting seemed tacked on, and they wanted to do better going forward. So here are the options
    1. Release another tacked on feature. Thus demonstrate they haven't learned or haven't taken previous criticism to heart.
    2. Hold it back until they can make it all work together better. The bitter pill option.

If they choose 1, you will complain. Don't pretend otherwise. They choose 2 (the better option) and of course you complain all the same. There is nothing at this point you wouldn't have complained about. And that's on you.

xan713, STCW262 and Xylia like this.
  8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

At least with Option #1, the people who don't like the Bounty Hunting system could just...... not do it.... and those of us who don't mind "tacked-on" content would have fun with it and the modders could mod the crap out of that API to do who-knows-what. And modders have a pretty good track record of fixing whatever broken stuff CF releases. That's fine, we'll happily fix it and mod it to our hearts' contents. I'm fine with that.

Buuuuuut, you know how whiners and the internet work; if something isn't to their liking (but yet doesn't affect them at all), they have to complain and whine about it, goshdarnit, how dare they implement a feature in a game that isn't perfect and to their liking.

Something is added and they simply MUST do it even if they don't like it, and if they did decide to not do it, they are sure going to try and convince everybody else why it sucks and why they shouldn't like it, because of course they expect....or rather demand....everybody likes what they like and hate what they hate.

EDIT: Whoops I'm a derp. Fixed.
    EDIT2: And for the record, I myself would not have complained if they had released it. I might offer constructive feedback to the system's balance like I did with mechs, but I would not complain that something felt "tacked-on" in a sandbox game, lol. That's just silly.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Jumbum, xan713 and STCW262 like this.
  9. Descher

Descher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Don't announce something you're gonna do and wait near a year to inform everyone that, "Hey! We know we got you all hyped on something but guess what? Not happening now and it [might] happen in the future". Not that your funds will be hurting anytime soon, but, you've lost a future consumer for any more products you put out. You could have [easily] fixed many of the things in the game in the meantime while working on your now-dead bounty hunting (such as optimization that near [everyone] complains about for good reason) but instead you work on a console copy with busted PC gameplay and waste time on an update you didn't bother to release. And, if that wasn't enough, you didn't even bother releasing [any] of the smaller contents you said you would and it's been how long? Yeah, no, you've pushed the last straw on mine (and I'm sure many others') patience. I'm done with you.

Veles, Ickura and Jumbum like this.
  10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

You know what would probably really help with all the anger? If the devs posted an update within the next week or so on what is going to be released soon.

Jumbum, Vrow, The Squid and 5 others like this.
  11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That'd be nice, yeah. Especially if they decided to just release the API at the very least, then the modders could get to work brainstorming how that could be used that Would feel like it fits within their mods and/or the game.

STCW262 likes this.
  12. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Though even that might be a problem. No one knows for sure that something will 100% happen...just like 1.4.

13. xan713

xan713 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Vitriolic posts aren’t justified, but some people are right about their disappointment. Ultimately, most if not all of them are original backers who placed money and trust on CF. So CF themselves did set the precedence originally to be where they are today with those backers. They wouldn’t have had those opportunities without them.

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

IMO, the Backers don't (or shouldn't) have any more weight than those who came later, and the reason why is simple:

The Backers already got what was promised: 1.0 launched. It might have been a bit smaller content-wise than the backers might have been led to believe, but they did actually get the 1.0 release, and Starbound got out of Early Access. Thus, their promises were fulfilled even if it isn't everything they imagined it would be (but yet that's the danger of throwing money around on crowdfunding).

I didn't back them on Kickstarter because quite simply, I didn't know about the project until it was Almost Early Access and at the time I didn't really have any free money. I did, however, buy it during the first week it was available on Steam.

Yeah, sure, it had a very rocky development, but in the end, it succeeded and saw a 1.0 release. I'm glad they went the route that they did, with the modding; few games embrace modding so heavily that Starbound does, making it so easy to mod the game without the need of 3rd Party API hooks or anything like that, with debugging shipping with the game that tells you (most of the time) exactly what the problem is, that even a layman can understand (again, Usually, not always) if you think about it for a minute.

Therefore, I don't think Backers get the right to sit there and be more salty just because they're backers. They got their 1.0, now they join the rest of us and we all move on into the future as people who purchased the game. I paid for my license just like they did. In fact, I think Backers are disrespecting us normal users whenever they try to throw around their backer status; I've seen backers of other games (not this one Yet mind you) treat me like I'm a lesser person and my opinion doesn't mean as much because I didn't dump money on Kickstarter or what-not, because I came onto the scene after the Kickstarter ended.

My response to that, is simply to say "**** you."

No, seriously. If someone is going to look down their nose at me because I wasn't around as long as them, and my opinions don't mean anything, well they can go blow as far as I'm concerned. If they're going to act like whining little children, I think we're better off without them to be honest; they use/try to use their backer status in such a way that is detrimental to the game.

Anyways, sorry about the rant, but if some backers want to throw tantrums, they can go sulk in their corners. They got what they paid for. They don't deserve any special entitlement, nor do they have the right to go whining like little babies every time an update isn't up to their standards. An update that's kinda meh is better than absolutely no update at all. I'd rather have a "tacked-on" piece of content than have no content at all, because again, modding. Especially if it has a new API. Every API they add, allows modders to do so much more with the game, and between Chucklefish and the modders, I'll ultimately end up with a better experience.

EDIT: This should be common sense, but I'm going to add a disclaimer: I don't have anything against backers in general. I am only talking about the backers who think they should get special treatment and/or those that think their opinions matter more than the rest of ours. Maybe during Early Access I'd be more willing to think that their opinions matter more, because they were still waiting on the full delivery of their promises, but now that their promises have been fulfilled, their opinions are worth the same as ours.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Ickura, STCW262, Jumbum and 3 others like this.
  15. Moose2001

Moose2001 Phantasmal Quasar

So....... could we at least get captureable Po's again please? Maybe a return of USMC bunkers as well? (so many cool mobs that would make for nice pets.....)

16. SunStreaker

SunStreaker Void-Bound Voyager

You're not alone. I read your posts above and completely see where you're coming from and agree.

I find consoles to being more of a hassle than what they're worth.

I dislike the cert process and how the big 3 buy up exclusivity, or buy up an indie dev to "work with them", which always leads to some form of a binding and limiting contract. I was originally excited for lost soul aside, and what that one dev was offering with his talents, but then Sony stepped in and it was then made exclusive to their system, which just ended up rubbing me the wrong way entirely and disliking the dev for going down that route. I wanted to support his game either via Steam early access, KS or simply buying it day 1 when he finishes it, but now I won't get that chance since he's basically exclusively working with Sony.

See on PC, it's either you build a machine or buy one to buy what you want, but after that point, everything is basically open and modable. Plenty of storefronts to choose from and support, yet with consoles we're limited to one brand per system, one storefront and next to no mod support, leading to higher game prices, lower output quality and performance metrics, as well being largely limited in the mod support area. This is more or less why I fully went for PC gaming back in 2012, as prior to that I was a 50/50 gamer with both PC and consoles (though I do own a Switch, but have very few games for it thanks to the high prices and poor performance of some titles).

I was originally gifted SB when it came out into ea back in 2013, but since then, I've been gifting the game to friends and spreading the word of the game in general. Now years later, at this moment, I feel like we're being caste aside, both due to poor management and a lack of clarity, as well as an obvious dive for console money (which begs me to ask "is PC money not good enough anymore?").

Though I wouldn't mind seeing it on the Switch, I know it would end up running terribly, as this game was originally designed with Linux, and not a console based OS.

Zephyr_zavala likes this.
  17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That, and you know, the Switch is nowhere near as powerful as my FX6300 with 16GB and I get 45 or so FPS... and this computer is 6 years old. What's the Switch gonna get with less hardware that's jammed into a paper thin tablet device?

Though I suppose I do run Frackin'Universe, but again, SB with no mods... you're looking at a 10 hour game. Maybe.

I bet someone could speedrun Ruin in less than 5 hours if they got good enough RNG.

STCW262 likes this.
  18. SunStreaker

SunStreaker Void-Bound Voyager

It definitely wouldn't get far with Vanilla SB, that's for sure lol.

I own Minecraft on PC, as well as the Win 10 version. I bought the Switch version to play with a friend (he's mostly a Ninty fan, despite owning and playing on PC), but jeez is the performance on MC Switch bad in some places. I don't even bother playing it in TV mode, as that further cripples the frames. There will be a bedrock update for the Switch, but the only thing I'll be using that update for, is to tune the settings to gain a slight increase in fps (like turning down render distance and some animations). I'll still be playing the PC version most of the time though.

I can't see myself grabbing SB on Switch, since I don't see it performing well at all, if they ever decide to port it over there.

That said, I've still yet to try FU, but I do know enough of it, as well as having watched a number of tubers playing with the mod (mods I use are basically QoL and addons to vanilla items/NPC's).

19. Apocalypse Jack

Apocalypse Jack Void-Bound Voyager

In response to the folks shouting about how we all need to give the devs more time... I have a very simple question for you.

How much? How much time is a reasonable amount of time for a game? I'm a Bethesda fan. I'm used to WAITING without word, for years, to even get CONFIRMATION that the game I'm waiting for is coming.

I'm used to the wait. I'm used to investing time into a product. What I am unused to is a developer taking my money up-front for a game, then changing out everything I ever enjoyed about the game to appease a wider audience that never materialized and a small segment of the actual playerbase who whined non-stop about how grindy and tedious it all was. So what do we end up with? The same grind... the same tedium... only now we've got fewer features, a tacked on story that almost NOBODY likes, a bunch of unavoidable missions which drag out the exploration experience for no conceivably good reason, a system of features which all FUNCTION but completely fail to synergize into anything remotely resembling a working game-world, a bunch of really cool original concepts that have been so far dumbed down and stripped of any complexity that don't actually reduce the grind but DO make it less interesting, and a dev team that have gone radio silent for months at a time only to come back and tell us that a promised update with new features conjured up a YEAR AGO has been shelved so they can work on the console port.

This has spanned YEARS of time. From Early Access into Official Release... as many years have gone by in this game as I waited for mere CONFIRMATION of the last Elder Scrolls game... and for the patience I have given this game to mature, what has my reward been? A couple of updates... the loss of features... the atrophy of the community... a loss of interest from everyone I wanted to play this game with... and a sneaking suspicion that this project has gone the way of so many other early access projects. It spent so much time in Early Access that I suspect they've concluded what many others already have: All the fun's been had. The eager customer base has moved on to the Next Big Thing, and the playerbase for Starbound is only going to get smaller and smaller. The price of the game is going to need to be reduced at some point to even get it to sell, and that shelf-life may well be coming due. That would certainly explain the rush to push out the console port, which might provide a momentary revitalization of the community and an opportunity to eke out the maximum profit the game has to offer. After that?

Why would they continue to pump out additional content for a 'finished game' that's not turning enough profit to cover the additional development costs?

So as I watch that timer count down... I ask again: how long? How long do I have to wait before I'm allowed to be suspicious that I might not only not get the game I was promised... but that the game I was delivered will never remotely approach the new promises being made regarding what it will be? Another year? Another two years? Another five years? Ten years? How long before I'm not being 'whiny' for pointing out that the game feels half finished? For pointing out that of all the multiple paths of progress promised, we've been given FARMING and INTERGALACTIC SCAVENGER HUNT? For pointing out that the community is a fraction of what it used to be, and that such a decline might well spell an imminent end of development cycle for the game?

Don't misunderstand me... I want to be wrong. I want everything I say to turn out to be overly-concerned whining with ultimately no merit. I love the original concept. I love the modding community here. I even love a lot of the current game for what it is... and the potential it has... but I've seen this song and dance before. I've read these same kinds of 'updates' before. It didn't end well then, and I've seen nothing reassuring me that it won't end similarly here either.

Because that matters. That matters for the future of a company I care about (Chucklefish), as well as a product I care about. I don't hate Chucklefish... I just resent being made to feel like a company I supported and stood up for is being less-than-forthright with me. Maybe my previous bad experiences have left me jaded... but the question remains. How long do I have to wait before that jaded paranoia becomes legitimate concern. I'd really, genuinely like to know.

20. Jumbum

Jumbum Master Chief

Too..freaking..true.