Dev Blog Starbound at EGX Rezzed

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That'd be nice and sensible.

DraikNova likes this.
  2. PaxCallow

PaxCallow Void-Bound Voyager

not gonna lie, i am pretty disappointed that they won't be going forward with the bounty hunting update. it seemed like it was gonna give the planets and systems some real relation to each other, as well as open up a whole new choice in gameplay.

on the bright side though, hopefully this means that the team will focus on updates that add similarly fun features to the game that they feel good about and there might not be as much radio silence. ... hint hint.

Faser likes this.
  3. I Said No

I Said No Cosmic Narwhal

What update?

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

No offense, but this is why I don't like it when my favorite indie games decide they want to go console too.

It grossly inflates release dates because they have to slow down with development to "try to catch the game up on consoles" which is never going to happen because of the consoles' ridiculous cert processes (Terraria STILL doesn't have 1.3 on XB1 IIRC) and it just gobbles up developer time like crazy.

People ask me why I dislike consoles, and why I lean towards Master PC Race, and they will go "Consoles don't hurt you!"

Yes......yes, they do.

Console Exclusives and PC indie games trying to go console are two reasons I dislike consoles and wish Microsoft and Sony would just start making Windows-Compatible PC gaming machines instead (because that's what XB1 and PS already are; they just have proprietary BIOS/OS). Then we wouldn't have stuff like this happening, nor would there be "console exclusive" and every gamer could enjoy every game with everybody. Except Nintendo. Because you know the Japanese still don't believe PCs exist for the most part. They think Mobile Phones are the way to go (lul).

But yeah, I would have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the news. You guys spent over a year developing a major patch, and decided to scrap it right before release because it "felt tacked on" when the stuff you added Could have been released and used by modders. Could have even released it as the assets and new game engine systems that modders could tap into at the very least, even if it isn't enabled in the vanilla game.

I've tried to encourage other people during the months of silence, I've tried to stick up for you guys, and now I'm the one eating the "I told you so" crow.

Oh well..... I suppose there's still things like Frackin'Universe going on.

5. TechnoTadhg

TechnoTadhg Master Chief

Update I've been wanting for ages is now majorly delayed, all we have is info on a console release, like who cares about the games current audience let's find a new one...
    My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Jumbum, Ickura and General Nuclear like this.
  6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

That's a shame for the time being... Delayed...

Regardless, does that mean we might see controller support for the future on pc then?
    I mean a port to the xbox is nice to finally here that it is coming. Either way it is nice to hear some news. :nuruhappy:

D.M.G. likes this.
  7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

I hope that, as the reason behind delaying bounty hunting could be applied to mechs and fishing, 1.4 is also used as an update to more closely connect the various parts of the game together.

Jumbum likes this.
  8. Kumpel

Kumpel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you for finally speaking out, this confirms what I thought was going on all along. Now I can finally stop checking the site on the regular because I know you're not releasing anything to the PC build for a while. That's all I needed to know. See you later! :nurukappa:

Veles likes this.
  9. Ickura

Ickura Big Damn Hero

I think they should have worked on 1.4 first before working on bringing it to xbox.
    That way it, wouldnt halt developement on 1.4.
    And when they finally shift focus on the xbox, it would also be the latest version instead of having to go back and forth working on 1.4 for both pc and console once the port is done.
    But thats just my opinion based on what I know so far, they just put too much on their plate.

STCW262 likes this.
  10. zizzle212

zizzle212 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Go figure, the starbound devs working on only what they feel like working on, god forbid they do what people want.

11. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

So what you are telling me is that my suspicions and fears where 200% true after all even though you guys said that other company (that i don't remember the name of but i bet wouldn't be able to do it but i hope that they would be able to do it after all) was gonna do the port but it doesn't look like they are pulling their weight in this at all.
    and now you guys are probably under the famous Cursed Time restricted console contract trap i bet.

Which usual consist of (*Every console company in the history of ever* 'You have to sign this contract NOW!.. i mean.. we heard of your game and we are willing to let you sell your game on our console, But only for a short amount of time or we wont let you sell your game on our console EVER! no sweat guys you got a long time to work on it. also if you don't get the port don in X amount of time we will sue the shit out of you guys and for everything and even more of what you own! but i am confident that you fools.. i mean clever developers can get it don with time to spare so take your time.yeeess take your time, soon your soul, your company and everything you own shall be mine Muhahaha') console contract trap curse that have ruined sooooooooo many games and video game companys.

I would have been very angry at you guys right now but if my other prediction is right then the next months are gonna be a real stressful programing hell for you guys because you guys are probably gonna have to remake the whole game from the bottom of it all, and i can't else but feel sorry for you guys especially when considering how long you guys use on anything at all (not that i am any quicker or better with my work but atleast i plan on going the safe road). I don't know which smart ass who thought that was a good idea dev or chucklefish share holder but he sure is gonna feel sorry for it if the devs don't reach the time limit.

( Hells bells console company if you guys don't reach the launch date for a finished port)

Gods speed devs and good luck you guys sure are gonna need it. Hope i am wrong and you guys get it out before you reach the time limit so you guys get to keep your game.

Way to go disappointing everyone who ever was the ''genius'' behind this porting idea. because you don't simply port over a game you have to freaking recreate and adapt the whole god damn game into a new machine and to its controllers. and who ever it was know this.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    theflamingchuthulu and Ickura like this.
  12. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

Thank you for taking the time to make this looong overdue update. Very much appreciated!

Glad to see that you care about the integrity of the game over just adding new features. Always willing to wait for good content.

Look forward to the next update in a few months, as well as what does make it into the next update.

Jonesy likes this.
  13. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

First off, what DO "people" want? You don't know. You know what YOU want, and maybe have read a few posts from a few people so maybe you know what a few people want. However they have MANY customers.

What one customer loves, another hates. So it isn't that simple. How then do you make the greatest number of people happy?

The other thing is with any art (including video games), the best art is made by the artist following their own vision and their own feelings. Sometimes they feel something isn't working out like they originally envisioned, so they change direction.

14. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Damn, this really bums me out. I was just talking about this update yesterday - jokingly it being abandoned, as fate would have it. :/ Bum bum-bum-bum this sucks~

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

People have been requesting console ports since day one. Others have criticized mechanics added in previous updates for feeling tacked on and isolated from the rest of the game. Chucklefish is giving people exactly what they want. Problem is, it's a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation where somebody's going to be disappointed regardless of whichever path they took.

16. aviatorEngineer

aviatorEngineer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm.... not what I was hoping to read when I saw there was a new blog post.

I don't think it's fair for some people people to be acting like it's wrong to be upset about this new development. It's been half a year since 1.4 and Bounty hunting were revealed, with minimal information on what was going on. It was a feature many people were looking forward to, and after waiting so long to hear anything, they get the news it's postponed until an unknown time. Even if there's a good reason for it, people aren't gonna like it cause they've been waiting for half a year and expecting the feature to be added at some point by now.

Like... okay, I get it - it's the devs' game to make, totally in their rights to cancel or delay features as they see fit. I can't fault them for that, of course. But that's not what people are upset about, they're upset about the fact that communication is at an all time low. I've seen the phrase "any news is good news" but, frankly, that's just not true. Waiting for months to hear anything, and then getting yet more delays and hearing the biggest feature of the update isn't even gonna happen? Any news is not good news in that situation. Fans of the game have got every right to voice their displeasure about it, and they shouldn't be made to look the villain just cause they don't like what they read.

I'm not trash-talking Chucklefish or any of the people commenting here, quite far from it - I do still love hearing from the devs, even if it's something unfortunate like this. There was some good stuff, too; while I don't personally plan to play the game on Xbox, it's very cool to hear that the Xbox version is progressing. Furthermore, I really appreciate the fact they're taking the time to make the game to the best of their ability. But I also sympathize with the people who aren't happy, and I just hope people will try to understand why others are upset, instead of just saying "oh, they're just entitled" or "ignore the haters" and whatnot.

Hoping we'll go back to hearing from the team more often, still eager to see what's coming next for Starbound.

xan713 and General Nuclear like this.
  17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, with all due respect..... Starbound started on PC, and I can't help but to feel betrayed that CF decided to stop, devote a large chunk of resources into developing it for console, which means it is going to take even longer for us loyal PC users to get our updates for a game that started on our platform.

Yes, I know, there have been some people asking for console ports, but seriously, consoles are more trouble than they are worth. Look at any other indie title that has attempted to port to console, and name one that has actually been able to do it smoothly without tons of problems, delays, etc. Warframe, Terraria, even Stardew Valley. It just never works, for a plethora of reasons, ranging to how much work goes into having to port the game to a completely different OS, basically having to re-write a lot of crap, having to design new control schemes, and do all the testing for it, and then of course, the huge elephant in the room that is the Cert process which alone causes delays of several months.

And when you FINALLY do all this work, the Console people are going to get an inferior product, especially in Starbound's case, as Starbound is a game built around modding in the first place.

You know, modding?

That thing that Microsoft and Sony absolutely loathe? It took a giant company like Bethesda months, maybe years of fighting to get them to allow limited modding.

How well do you think Vanilla Starbound is actually going to do on Xbox/PS when a huge part of the draw towards SB is the fact it was designed to be so easily moddable?

Sorry, but Starbound is not the kind of game that belongs on Consoles, and I dunno who was asking for it, but they weren't thinking too clearly.

18. Sergeant Thompson

Sergeant Thompson Scruffy Nerf-Herder

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@Sergeant Thompson : You may want to edit your post to add some actual content; posts that just contain video is not kosher.

Anywho....

I know my last post was somewhat scathing after re-reading it, I'm just frustrated and feeling like my loyalty, all the time I spent defending CF anytime somebody talked bad about them was... I dunno.

I just kinda feel that they let us PC people down by pushing us aside to go chase after the console fans.

That, combined with how much I dislike the consoles' existence in the first place, kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

SunStreaker, Ickura and Faser like this.
  20. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Let's just wait and see what happens again.

Jonesy likes this.