Dev Blog Starbound at EGX Rezzed

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. DarkBirdo

DarkBirdo Phantasmal Quasar

That's annoying AF

2. sithalo

sithalo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is the mod that disables the ability for ember to destroy objects. What would be better though is if you didnt really find a city there unless it was made from something that wasnt destroyed by embers.

davoker and Ickura like this.
  3. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

What mod is that? I can not find it, can you link me? Would it be a solution, embers can hurt you but do not destroy objects?

Edit:
    And this? -> https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/no-weather-blockdamage.3862/

Would not this mod be better? it prevents the climates from damaging objects but they can damage the player, in this way the peoples of the volcanic planets are safe, and they can not accuse you of stealing xD but it continues to hurt the player.

Is this true for version 1.3.3 of Starbound? or does not the version have an influence?

Edit2: Ok it seems that if it works, the author has told me, it is the best solution to this problem.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  4. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Coming back to this...

:badpokerface: Atleast Elithian Alliance got a big update

5. TGPHOENIX

TGPHOENIX Space Hobo

So is it possible that we will get Starbound for PS4 and not just XB1?

6. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Yeah....the PS4 has more than double the install base of the Xbox One....it would be incredibly dumb of them to not release on PS4.....at this point given how long they've been totally quiet about this I think the game will either resurface as both a PS4 or XB1 release or the consoles will never be spoken of again and the game will never release on them. But Chucklefish in general see to have more or less about given up on this game.....they announced 1.4 then months passed without a word, then they mentioned it again and said more info very soon but then more months passed without a word so it's probably whatever....they likely moved on to other projects and left like five people to try to sort out 1.4 and console ports. We might see 1.4 and/or a console release for this in like 20 years or something.

Ickura and lordbociek like this.
  7. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

If we wait for this long, I guess we can call ourselves as the "Old Starbounder" or maybe even better as the "Elder of Starbound" or maybe some of us can no longer play this game (a.k.a RIP).

Ickura and DarthTrethon like this.
  8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

It will be technically impossible to play starbound. either computers will have advanced too far or society will have broken down from lack of...everything.

9. Unxie

Unxie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel quite sad on how the development of the game has reached this point. The playerbase is dieing due lack of communication with Devs to even argue with their supporters or fans on this beautiful project. We currently can count maybe 1-2 online servers that get a range of 20-40 ppl per day where people don't even group to play anymore, its just modding stuff. ( I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but lets be real ...modders did a better job adding content and finding new ways in the "missing bugged api" starbound has, to extend the life of this game than any update that recently came out. I still feel quite sore about what update 1.0 did to Starbound by removing all the old vanilla weapons and items that made the game pretty unique in Beta. ) I have been following this game since its early start on alpha and was very pleased on how things went till devs suddenly disappeared and moved on to more games instead of optimising this one. What makes it worse is that there ISN'T a single post from DEVS to even AID anyone who has trouble running the game or fixing its "Memory Leak Issues". Shall we talk on how the multiplayer servers' stability hasn't been fixed in any way during these years? I mean you don't sell a game as "finished" if the game server crashes 3 times every 30minutes.
    ( Note: WITH a good computer, I have 16g ram and suffer memory leak issues and crashes from Starbound by just staying logged-in for a couple of hours. ) I understand that opening ports on consoles makes more "gold" come in pockets, but WOULDN'T it be a SMARTER move to optimise the PC version? That would bring more players to enjoy the game and you know people talk and may suggest this game to friends, instead of letting the PC gaming society to die.

For any new player or old vet, reading these forums is like burned propaganda as there is no input or space for talking other than struggling together with other players in an "eternal" wait for a reply by Devs.

I may be speaking out of sore and sadness, in case this post "HURTS" anyone's sensitivity or breaks forum's conduct behaviour : I APOLOGIZE but this is how things are. Modding is fun, but whats the fun of modding if all your friends move to better games? You may try to play vanilla but then you also see and feel on how much you are missing out without mods.
    ( I also apologize for my poor grammar, its not my first language. )

Boshed and Ickura like this.
  10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I wouldn't say the playerbase is "dying", we're just having fun modding the crap out of our game, especially those who play FU. FU is still blossoming with new content every month, and our community is very strong yet.

11. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I have not checked FU in like.... 2 years, how big is it now?

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Big. Very big. It easily has more content than the vanilla game. Easy.

It gets major updates like 2-3 times a month.

It adds a veritable arsenal of weapons and armor, a new quest system (using the VN API), more dungeons than the vanilla game has, lots of planets and biomes, it expands upon mechs, it has a neat power mechanic where some crafting machines generate power, there are batteries to store power, and some machines require power to function (not all of them though). You can turn some materials into other materials through refinement (such as Sand->Silicon).

It's just..... Frackin'Huge.

Corraidhín and Ickura like this.
  13. Ickura

Ickura Big Damn Hero

Imagine the modding community taking over starbound. That might just be happening already in a way actually.

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Frackin'Universe has basically already done that. At this point, FU is bigger than the vanilla game, and the vanilla game is more like, I don't know, the basic platform upon which FU (which is basically a game in its own right) runs upon. Basically, in a nutshell. Not to diminish what CF has made, as Starbound is what makes FU possible, but yeah.

Sayter and team has put a LOT of work into this project and is offering it to everybody for free. There's enough content here, and FU has a big enough team that they probably could have sold this, if it were their own game, for at least $15.

This is one of the reasons why it bothers me when I hear people trash-talking it without even trying it. I get that FU is popular and famous and some people are tired of hearing about it, but hey. It's popular for a reason, you know? I advise people to try it because they just might like it. However.... there's a huge caveat in that FU is about science and as such, Sayter and team assumes that those wanting to play FU are intelligent individuals who like to challenge themselves. There are environments, enemies, puzzles, that are far beyond the challenges of the vanilla game. It's not for everybody. The intro dungeon alone causes people to get stuck because of a couple (to us) simple puzzles that trip so many people up, I had to make a strategy guide video for.

Ickura likes this.
  15. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Oh goodness, that's an entire game on its own! Hm, I think I may try it...

Ickura and Xylia like this.
  16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If you like the things it has to offer, I don't think you'd be disappointed!

Now given the size of the mod, you may want to make sure you've got a reasonably beefy PC (one made within the last 3-5 years); it adds quite a bit of stuff which could result in framerate drops if your PC is too old.

But yeah, hopefully see you there sometime. We also got a discord and everything too.

Corraidhín likes this.
  17. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

What I don't like is how FU has sprites from other games, hopefully they're all found and taken out. Otherwise I have no problem with FU, not even it ruining Elithian Alliance dungeon spawns since a mod fixed that recently.

18. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I agree with you there. I think that when it comes to fair use I could draw a Waddle-Dee, for example, and make it a ship pet; but simply taking the Waddle-Dee sprites directly from a Kirby game and putting them in Starbound as a mod for every one to download may be pushing the set boundaries.

I also recognized a certain piece of music from Super Meteroid in one of the extra missions. I know about how fair usage laws allow things like remix albums to be legal; but I think that having the same piece of music that played in Super Meteroid in the mod may be stepping out side of the boundaries of fair use. Although my understanding of Fair Use laws may be incomplete or wrong in some areas, it is a complicated subject.

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Sayter and team have been making passes at removing anything that is not royalty-free or developed by us directly. We've removed several music tracks, and if you find something that appears to be lifted from another game, please let us know in either the discord or here on the oboards.

Of course with the tens of thousands of files in FU, some might slip through, and if you notice one, please let us know. We have multiple contributors, and screening each and every .png that comes through is nigh impossible I'd think, so if we have something that's ripped off, it was not intentional.

20. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Sorry, doesn't mean disturb the discussion. But what is "FU" anyway, is it a mod, can anyone tell me more about it? I've never heard about it and it sounds interesting.