Dev Blog Starbound at EGX Rezzed

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. wiggythecat

wiggythecat Void-Bound Voyager

This is late. I know. But I was going in and trying to find a reason to get back into Starbound (basically just browsing mods) and I got an idea. You say you don't want your major updates to include tacked on features (the mech update was like this imo but it was fun so whatevs) but have you ever considered expanding on the story a little bit? At the end of it when you beat the thing (Vagueness to avoid spoilers) that's really the end of it. The game becomes an endless sandbox where all you can really do is explore and build things, which is all good fun but it gets old. You're essentially the protectorates last surviving member so what if you became the new Grand Protector? With Esther Bright, a retired Grand Protector to guide you (but too old to lead herself). With her guidance, you can rebuild the Protectorate to its former glory.

The amount of ways that you could go about this is near infinite, but for some basic ideas, you could claim a planet as the new location of its embassy. Or a new type of space station. Or maybe Esther sends you on a quest and discover a planet that is near identical to earth and it becomes New Earth. That last one is a little far-fetched but as I said the possibilities are endless and you could get really creative with it. But yeah...just an idea. Ty for reading.

lordbociek, Ickura and The Squid like this.
  2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

"Tacked On" Should not be viewed negatively. Nothing wrong with something being "tacked on" in a Sandbox game. You finish the main story arc, nothing wrong with being able to pick and choose what you do next from a list of things. You choose what interests -you- the most.

I don't get why we can't have branching storylines. You beat the Ruin, the immediate danger is done. Okay, cool. Now you've got 2, 3, 4 storylines that you can explore at your leisure. Maybe there's a storyline where you guide a remnant of humans to a suitable Earth-like planet and help them set up shop there (like, maybe, you build 50 apartments all with human tenants on the planet and build defenses to keep them safe).

The bounty hunting thing could have been its own arc, with the immediate threat gone, you go after criminals and be a real Protectorate of the Galaxy.

Maybe they could have had an arc where you hunt down and solve the thing with the Kluex worshippers.

Maybe they could have had an arc where you discover the origin of the Glitch and how they came to be.

Maybe they could have had an arc where you encourage a sect of Floran that want to be peaceful to settle somewhere and be mostly benign and peaceful.

Maybe you could help the Apex Rebels, after the fall of their government, to set up a settlement where they can be free and happy.

What if you could help the Hylotl find a new habitable ocean planet and set up a major settlement there (again, maybe the 50 apartments thing)?

That kinda thing.

EDIT: Heck all the arcs I listed above could do the whole 50 tenant thing to build/rebuild their settlements. Could be like a NPC tenant/settlement overhaul. *shrug* Lots of stuff they could do with that.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    wiggythecat, davoker, Ickura and 2 others like this.
  3. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Yes, the game has infinite possibilities, but they do not take advantage of them, a pity.

Even "random missions" (procedural) in which "after the end of the main story" send you to create those settlements with 50 houses and their tenants, with their corresponding reward cordee with a task as big, even that would give something more than life to the game.

This is relatively easy to do with mods, but they are things that the game should have, something to do after finishing the main story of the game.

What they have paused or rejected was an added yes, but something more to do in the game, more random missions after all, worse than usual, just something else to do, there was nothing wrong ...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Ickura likes this.
  4. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Has there been any non forum updates?

5. Kumpel

Kumpel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so, uhm... status update, maybe? the classic bi-monthly radio silence has been hard to bare.

6. Ickura

Ickura Big Damn Hero

Ive pretty much gotten used to it already. Besides I don't expect anything interesting enough to be sent out there. They are still working on that xbox port as far as we know.

7. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Well....it's been another two bloody months and still nothing about 1.4.....or those console port you said would have "a date when to expect that very soon!".....I'm still waiting. How about release 1.4 and just say there's no console versions coming so you can stop pretending any work is actually still being done on Starbound and you won't have to lie anymore?

Faser likes this.
  8. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, just release 1.4. Don't even bother with the Unstable phase just push it. I'm sure users won't care about any bugs, or the state of an update they apparently know so well from a handful of screenshots and gifs.

(...In all seriousness, are we seriously still doing this? We'll get a status report, when they have a status to report. Would you rather they just report nothing? Like "Hey we're still working on the console update."? You know that wouldn't satisfy anyone.

The more often you all keep returning to this thread, the longer the wait is going to feel. Just go about your business, and wait for a new devblog to pop up...)

Ickura likes this.
  9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh, last thing we need is a buggy mess that destabilizes the whole game that would take a year to fix. It's been the better part of a year or more since our last update, but at least it is Stable. That's better than some buggy crap that's going to crash or error out or what-not.

ManicRykker likes this.
  10. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Personally, I'm probably going to unwatch most of these threads, and watch the forum itself. That would get me notified for new threads (ie devblogs) when they're created right?

Either way guys, if there's no new information on here, we're likely just as clueless as you are. All we can really do, is wait for them to write another devblog. It sucks, but what can ya do?

11. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

The 1.4 is paused indefinitely, that means they could resume it in a while or even discard it completely if they want, from slow to nonexistent xD

If you are going to get the 1.4 some day, I would not wait until "months after the port to xbox is finished", before that we will not see anything, and this goes for long, a few more months, half a year? more? who knows, but I do not think it's much less xD

That for the port to xbox, after that, if they feel like it, they still do something with the 1.4, they would give the news with the news of the port of xbox, it suggests that the update 1.4 was already paused for a long time.

I calculate that as a minimum in 1 year, there will be nothing new, if there is any, I hope I'm wrong ...

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You can watch the Dev Blog forum Itself, that way when a CF person posts a new Dev Blog thread, you'll know.

13. Rivtex

Rivtex Yeah, You!

We need a reset button, when we beat the game it opens up the portal at the outpost!!
    we need to a button to RESET that, and the game to make it.. more of a.. FRESH start!!

14. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I have no knowledge, not much, but maybe you could make a modification for that, I guess you want to start the story again with all your objects made on the trip, like the typical option of some games that says: "New game +" x...

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Not sure what the point of resetting the Outpost is to be honest, when your character has all the items, equipment, etc because going back through the older missions (which you can still run again through SAIL) with t6 equipment would be boring as crap IMO. If you don't like the lagdoor and want it closed just to get rid of the lag, there's a mod for that.

16. Gazlon

Gazlon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah!! I don't know when the 1.4 version will be updated, but I hope you will continue to make a huge and expensive DLC(or Update).
    ps.(The battle is too monotonous. I think SB need a little harder monster and a field boss Raid to play with my friends.)

17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Have you considered deleting storage/universe/universe.dat?

lordbociek likes this.
  18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I thought of that too, but once they boot up their character, I'd bet that because their character has the quests done, the game would automatically unlock everything in the outpost again.

19. GuyDangerous555

GuyDangerous555 Void-Bound Voyager

Well, hopefully it won't be long until they get a new community manager. Since Molly quit, it's been difficult (for some reason unbeknown to me) for them to get out frequent community updates.

20. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

It's a coincidence of course, I do not know if it's really affected or it's just that, hehe

I do not want to lose the hope of a big update 1.4, I do not care if it has or does not carry the recomepensas hunting, but update in a big way, you need the game...