Dev Blog Starbound at EGX Rezzed

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Von Marlon

Von Marlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Why not advance on the pet system more now the bounty hunter system is out the window? It' has so much potential to be something a lot more than it is right now.

There has been a lot a waiting for an update only to find out now the biggest features are not even happening. Would be nice to get something that isn't just cosmetics and stuff we have seen before.

2. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

"Porting the controls to console has been a huge task, and has required us to develop some radical UI changes. We’ll provide some specifics on those changes and a date when to expect that very soon!"

Radical changes to the UI because of the console version of the game? Are these changes being pushed to the PC version as well, or am I reading that wrong? I hope that's it, because I don't particularly want a console UI for a game I play with a mouse and keyboard.

Not worried about the bounty hunter update, honestly. Potential 'radical' changes to the interface that might break all of my mods are MUCH more concerning.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    izzykuroneko and STCW262 like this.
  3. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Pets and crew can do with a few updates. I think the level up mechanics, remote commands, and unique quotes would be perfect here.

4. soarin24

soarin24 Void-Bound Voyager

um can we all be friends

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against people in specific, I just don't like how consoles split the gaming community and cause so much extra work for developers, 'tis all.

Ickura likes this.
  6. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

Oh boy. You're really a textbook case of con-artists who have kept people hooked to your lies for years, and those who still defend you deserve you.

You conned modders, backers and the original engine developers themselves, you lied about so many things one could make a novel out of it. Then you, actually, after YEARS of implementing basic stuff which modders had implemented better and more consistently from almost day one, actually removed the initial features, scrapped the initial idea and created this abomination of a game. This absolute grindy mess with zero actual development save a few boring missions and no appeal save for pretty pixels.

Not to mention the drama on the forums, which you quickly turned into your personal 1984 simulator.

I hope your bankrupcy is absolute so that the poor slaves you call employees break free and can find an acual job making games, because that's not what they are doing now.

For those who STILL don't know, these are Chucklefish's plans for Starbound:

[​IMG]

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Wow. Stating one's opinion is one thing and I'd gladly fight someone to protect your right to do so, but wow rude!

8. lordbociek

lordbociek Pangalactic Porcupine

For profit they doing it, wrong take me no, -how long can you squeeze an fruit i wander

STCW262 likes this.
  9. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Aaaand this here, is why I cringed when I first saw this blog post. Announcements like this only draws in the most toxic parts of this community, and it's painful to read.

They give an announcement that they've delayed/put on hold a free content update, for a released game, and people act like Chucklefish just strangled a puppy or something...

For those that are throwing a hissy fit, whether here, or elsewhere, please take a chill pill. It's a video game. You're not gonna die. Why not go play something else for awhile?

(Don't want to be rude here, but this thread has only been getting worse, and it's ridiculous. Felt like it was time to say something. I love Starbound to death, heck I'm a modder.. But I'm not so obsessed with it that I throw a tantrum when we get some bad news.)

Edit: Been watching this thread for awhile, and I think it's time to unwatch it. The conversation is only going downhill everyday, and it's just too painful to watch.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Kawa, spiraluna and STCW262 like this.
  10. OwlQueen

OwlQueen Aquatic Astronaut

As happy as I am that we got an update for once, I'm pretty disappointed about the MAJOR update being put on hold/forgotten. I was pretty excited about it, honestly. When you beat the main story, the game just seems like a "now what" kind of question. I feel like the update would have actually fit in very well. Its a shame its now put off.

11. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Now I can not remember the full list of promised features when Starbound was in early access; but as far as I can tell we got pretty much all they promised. I remember about three things that they said might happen:

1. A completely separate sector for player versus player. In my opinion this sounds somewhat clunky; simply being able to turn player versus player is probably the better option.

2. Separate stories for each race. This may have been an interesting feature, but what would they fill the in between with. I imagine that while having a different story for each race might sound great at first but would get boring when you have to get stranded in space and then dig for iron seven times over.

3. Stats for each race. I love RPG-like mechanics as much as the next gamer but in the case of Starbound, where building is a major focus of the game, it is probably better to not have racial gameplay variation.

Otherwise it seems like we have pretty much everything they said would happen.

Personally I am proud of Chucklefish for taking some real initiative on this update. Sure I am disappointed about being told to wait longer, but on the other hand I am glad that Chucklefish is trying to make an update that really feels like a part of the game. I think that prioritizing the console release they have promised is a wise choice. Finishing up the console version first makes it easier to keep the version the same across all releases. If you look at Minecraft they keep on releasing updates faster than they can port them to their consoles and mobile versions, so now you have PC Edition, Console Edition, Pocket Edition.

(I had said this in another thread, but I think that it is better suited here)

Shigeru Miyamoto, from Nintendo, once said;

“A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game forever bad.”

I think the same applies to this update, just paraphrase a little

“A delayed update is eventually good, a rushed update forever bad.”

I have faith that we will get bounty hunting in good time, and when we do we shall enjoy it more than if Chucklefish released it here and now.

Now this is directed at the Developers at Chucklefish, if they can see this. I had offered a suggestion somewhere on the first page of this thread this includes what I said earlier and builds upon that. I had thought of a few things that could really make this update feel bigger.

The Peace Keeper Organization could have its own unique campaign. Similar to how Starbound's Story missions progress to a final boss battle; the Peace Keeper Organization could have some kind of quest line that involves taking down the largest criminal organization in the galaxy, ending with you hand cuffing the crime boss himself. Re-working the ranking system so that you rank up every time you clear an important part of the campaign can keep the whole thing unified. Players can do as many side quests as they please to catch lesser criminals and earn some pixels. I think that this is probably the best way to really make this feel like a feature, without stopping a player in the middle of the story campaign to do this instead.

(This idea is totally crazy) Enemies always pull out capture pods and summon a monster to help them fight, but what if they pulled out a hoverbike controller and tried to escape? You could give players a "police hoverbike" that they could use to catch villains who are trying to get away. The police hoverbike would be unique in that you could use one-handed weapons while driving it. With your character's right hand he/she is driving, with the left wielding a pistol (possibly one designed for destroying hoverbikes?) On higher tiers you could have one criminal driving the vehicle while another one is in the back seat shooting at your police hoverbike.

Making this update should not be about making the player have to do this, it should be about making the player want to do this. An update to a completed game is, probably, always going to feel "tacked on" in some way, especially to those who have played the game before the update. Quality is what makes the update feel like a either a cheap add-on or an expansion. You have to make the players notice that this content is there, grab their attention, and keep them hooked. Good luck to you Chucklefish, know that I am rooting for you on your future endeavors.

The Squid, sleepy123 and STCW262 like this.
  12. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I agree with you on your opinion about the delayed update and i think that suggestion would be awesome

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@Sparklink : That's why I feel that the mech update (well, once you fix the flaws with it using mods like FrackinUniverse) is a good update even though it is "tacked on".

Mech combat is fun once you get past the slow boring part, it adds something different to do when you're bored with the usual stripmining planets thing, and a mod like Frackin'Universe makes you want to do mech combat because of its rewards, and because it's something different to do, at least IMO.

I feel the bounty update would have been similar; we the modders could have found ways to make it awesome if CF was lacking inspiration.

And yes, everything is going to be "tacked on". But again, is that really a bad thing? Something that is "tacked on" means the player has a choice of whether or not to do it, and if your goal is to entice the player to go do it because it's fun or rewarding, then.... isn't that a good thing then?

davoker, STCW262 and Kawa like this.
  14. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

To be fair, the "now what" for most video games when you beat the story is usually: stop playing it, because you're finished. Or keep playing multiplayer, which you can easily do here. Personally, I don't feel that Starbound suffers from a lack of content. I played 140 hours in early access, when there was much less content than there is now. With the released product plus mods, I'm approaching 200 hours, and there is still a ton of stuff to do. I haven't gotten mileage like that out of a game since Fallout: New Vegas, and that cost me like 4 times more than this.

A lot of games now have what we think of as endgame content, but many of those are just: do the same thing again over and over so you can buy a fancier outfit. At least Starbound's endgame could be "build a city with your friends" or "mod in some art and create a new planet type".

I'm pretty happy that Starbound has been successful enough that Chucklefish can keep its development going. There are maybe some things I would have liked them to focus on more than others, but that's not a huge deal. Although it COULD be a huge deal, if they release a UI update that I don't want, breaking all of my workshop content, so PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT, Chucklefish. I'm perfectly happy for you to take the money and run, as long as you don't screw up the game in the process. ;D

Game development is very strange nowadays. It used to be like any other product, you make it, people buy it, and what you do with the money is not really the customer's business. Now, continuous updates are so regular that we expect developers to support a game forever. Sometimes, it's for a good reason, if the company is releasing shoddy projects and selling promises. But I've had a lot of fun with Starbound as it is, so I don't think it qualifies as one of those.

TL;DR : Game is already good, nice job Chucklefish, wouldn't mind new content when you get around to it, don't break my game with unwanted console features.

15. Spicynoodle

Spicynoodle Void-Bound Voyager

Lol, its not about the content per-say, but its the lack of fulfilling promises they made in early-access and to the backers. Instead, they basically abandoned the project by looking at other prerogatives like Stardew Valley's multiplayer ect. and gimped on updates that they said would come. Then came the lack of communication because of other projects. I honestly pointed that out 2-3 years ago, and i find it funny and ironic that i was chastised for it and now seeing as its basically reality until further notice.

n1t3n and CacklePhish like this.
  16. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

While modding a game can add a whole new level of enjoyment (my own avatar for example) it is still important to make the game full and enjoyable in a completely vanilla experience. Since Starbound is expecting a console release this even more important. It is still uncertain if Starbound on the consoles will get mod support; Skyrim had mod support for Play Stations and X-Box, but was a rare case as far as I can tell. However the thing with Skyrim is that it was a great game without mods.

Basically what I am saying is that if I were playing Starbound for the very first time on a console I would hate to not enjoy myself and later read that the game is only good with mods. Now Starbound, as it is today, is a great game, but some of those additional features are just a little too detached from the rest of the game. Many mods polish the rough edges around these features, but what I think Chucklefish is truly going for in this update is something that has few of these "rough edges" upon release.

That is what I mean. The player has a choice about doing it, but the goal of the developers should be to make the player want to do it through entertaining and exciting features.

17. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Plus, a "tacked on" feature can be later tweaked to develop it, and adding several features that are bound to feel tacked on and then releasing an update to make them more cohesive is easier and can be more effective than making each feature cohesive with the rest of the game, as releasing the dedicated update involves taking the other features into account. For example, making bounty hunting and mechs cohesive separately can result in both features being relatively unrelated to each other, but tweaking them later can have them interact (And potentially getting a mech-on-mech fight while bounty hunting is a good reason for that).

18. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Excuse me, but I guess this community was always split into two main factions: The Always Unsatisfied Customers and Order of the Chucklefish Templar.

Seriously, I remember things were always like this:

1. We have news;
    2. Some ppl appear to complain about something;
    3. Those are replied by ppl who feel the need to defend Chucklefish;
    4. Pages and pages of fruitless discussion;
    5. Somewhere ppl may get quiet cuz no news;
    6. And when we have news again, repeat.

The console thing has little weight in this situation... :(

Boshed, STCW262 and The Squid like this.
  19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It's sad but true.

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm not talking about this community, though, but the gaming industry as a whole. Console exclusives only exist to sell machines with outdated hardware, and it is bad for the end user altogether, and making it so the developers have to release the same game up to 4 times on different platforms is a massive waste of developer time, money, effort, and manpower.

I mean, imagine a world in which ConcernedApe, or Re-Logic or indeed Chucklefish could focus on one and only one platform (or maybe two if you wanted to add Linux). They wouldn't need to divert resources into developing those other ports and would be able to flesh out their content better, faster, and more often.

But yet people don't see this as a good thing? lol. I don't understand it.

As far as the people going back and forth attacking/defending Chucklefish, meh. I don't give a rat's behind about that argument.

I look at the gaming industry as a whole and I see the damage the console wars are doing. We should all be a group of people who happily enjoy gaming with each other. But no, we have three companies out there waving around their e-peens wanting to prove themselves to be "the best" when none of them are. They don't want to play nice with each other (especially Sony and Nintendo) and they want to make sure that you have to buy THEIR hardware with these stupid exclusive deals.

And people can't see that this is harmful for the end users, aka, the gaming community.

Ah well. Whatever.

So yeah, I don't care about the people nitpicking and bickering about CF. They can just go blow somewhere if they want.