1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound and Visual C++ 2015 installer issues

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Healthire, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Instructions on how to open elevated command prompt
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/elevated-command-prompt-windows-8.htm

2. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Of course it is, be a bit more careful when typing things into command prompt. Because you've misread or mistyped the command. You're moving catroot2 to catroot2.old. Not the other way around.[DOUBLEPOST=1440680382,1440680305][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Please make sure you do not have any mods installed, if you haven't already.

3. guiguijill

guiguijill Void-Bound Voyager

When i wrote "ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old"
    i have an access denied

4. OmnipotentEntity

Even in an elevated command prompt? Did you ensure that the services that you were stopping with the net stop commands remained stopped? If so, then you can try booting into Safemode and trying again.

5. The | Suit

Remember you can't just run cmd.
    You have to create a cmd shortcut on your desktop.
    Right click on it and run it as administrator in order for it to work.

6. guiguijill

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old is missing[DOUBLEPOST=1440686281][/DOUBLEPOST]i'm in windows 7 sp1

7. OmnipotentEntity

That is part command and part error message. Moreover, it's extremely abbreviated even if it is well formed. I am looking for something along the lines of:

I understand that you may be frustrated, but please attempt to communicate clearly and carefully, otherwise I will be unable actually help despite my best efforts. I need to know exactly what you did, what you saw, what the situation is or else I'm just kind of stabbing blindly. As I'm a chill sort of guy, this will only serve to frustrate you. Like much in life, the help you get out of this is determined by what effort you're willing to put in.

The | Suit likes this.
  8. guiguijill

I got that error
    Code:
    C:\Users\Centrale>ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftawareDistribution.old
    Le fichier spécifié est introuvable
    And anybod upload the "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll starbound.dll" ?

9. Masked Harbinger

Masked Harbinger Lucky Number 13

10. guiguijill

In a future patch, the game will working or not ?

11. The | Suit

For majority of users the game is working fine. The issue is only with users who have a problem with their windows installation. I am sure they will try and find the best option possible to remedy the situation as best as possible.

guiguijill likes this.
  12. guiguijill

Thanks men you give hope

13. OmnipotentEntity

If you are getting "The specified file cannot be found" then you've already completed this step. And everything is just fine. Do catroot2, if you get the same error, that's fine too. Then restart Windows Update Service and check for updates and try to install the KB.

The | Suit likes this.
  14. Nauotit

Nauotit Void-Bound Voyager

If it doesn't get an official fix, it's hopeless for me, I already tried everything that is considered as a "fix".
    Is there any way to get another version of Starbound? Like the version before the colony update?

15. guiguijill

start to read from the beggining

16. AIex

AIex Subatomic Cosmonaut

I did.so we wait until they fix it to work on our sistem ?

17. guiguijill

where this KB299whatever appear ?

18. Mondai

Mondai Title Not Found

I feel the need to point out that I named my new Glitch (since my friends are planning another fresh character playthrough) after the error code I kept running into for this: 0x80240017. He fell on his head, short-circuited, and has memory errors, doesn't know his actual name and doesn't even know he's a Glitch. I call him "Error" for short.

And I doubt it will help anyone because I still don't know how this happened for me, and I don't know how it could ever happen again, but... I was having an issue getting the Visual Studio 2015 C++ redistributable to install (hence the error code). So two days ago, after I learned that I needed Windows Service Pack 1 (and knew already that I hadn't installed it yet), I ran Windows update and installed SP1 and all the other "critical" updates. (Ugh! Skype update snuck in! I hate the new Skype interface!) Then I rebooted to finish the install. After my system started up again, I checked Windows Update to see if there were any more new updates. None. So I tried to run the VS2015 installs again, still gave me an error. Yesterday morning, I saw the note about reinstalling .Net Framework, so I had my boyfriend do that while I was at work.

After I got home, when the VS2015 redistributables still wouldn't install, I checked my system. No Service Pack 1. I DON'T UNDERSTAND. Not only do I remember installing it, but I remember checking for updates after I rebooted it and seeing none! I'M FLUMMOXED AND FLABBERGASTED. But, I ran the SP1 install again, and after my system rebooted again, the VS2015C++ files both installed no problem. And VOILA! Starbound started up! Like MAGIC!

So, in short, my advice is this:

Re-check that Windows 7 SP1 is installed. Even if you remember doing it. Even if you JUST did it. Because I swear, it's a sneaky little butt.

bonberjean and The | Suit like this.
  19. OmnipotentEntity

Have you reran Windows Updates and ensured that all available updates are installed and that you have SP1 installed?

If so, just try to install the redistributable again.

20. ras464

ras464 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Welp, CMD commands didn't work, the rest of this stuff hasn't either. I'm done.

Thanks for the good times, it's been quite a ride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.