OOC [Starbound] A New World OOC and sign-up thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by El Barto 227, Jul 18, 2013.

1. El Barto 227

El Barto 227 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

the title will probably change :p All are welcome

The Concept:
    A Floran trader and "deserter" has set up a small settlement on his adopted home planet, and all are welcome, so long as they do not cause trouble.
    But darkness lurks below…

This is a town RP revolving around a settlement on the planet Zeta-Six, which also has two semi-habitable moons, Flora and Nova. These moons were named due to remains found on each moon, indicating that they had previous settlements. Players may get the chance to visit these at some point, but they are unmapped and the environments are not very suitable for life. A Floran named Narolf is the mayor of Iron Lake.
    Iron Lake is a village named for the lake it is located next to. From above, such as a lookout point in the mountains, the lake appears to be made of iron, but is really just water.

Zeta-Six has two polar ice caps, and two large continents, Prima and Duro. Prima, the continent most of this RP is on, has patches of lush forest and rolling plains, with fairly fertile ground and the occasional volcano. The northern tip of Prima is home to the civilization named […]. Duro is a mountainous landscape covered in deserts that has not been mapped very much, and is believed to be less hospitable and fertile than Prima. The day-night cycle is ten hours day, ten hours of night,with some seasonal variation.

Zeta-Six has varying ores. A high density of coal, sapphire wash and other minerals can be found on Prima, with some iron and aluminium, and small pockets of various other ores. Duro's sands are rich in Fe2O3 (rust), which can be refined into iron.

Once Iron Lake is established, the mostly player-driven story will begin. All (Starbound) races are accepted.

Some rules:
    • No godmodding, CC, omnipotence etc.
    • Weapons: Most melee weapons are fine, but be reasonable (no two-storey-building sized swords etc. For ranged weapons, I'd prefer if we didn't have RPGs and grenade launchers to start with. I'd be fine with bows/crossbows, blow darts, pistols, carbines, assault rifles, sniper rifles, SMGs, etc. and some energy weapon variants of these. In general, no mass-destruction weapons (feel free to ask if something is allowed).)
    • If you choose to have a gun, do a bit of research into that gun type. Describe the gun. You do not need to refer to a specific RL gun or ammunition, but still provide some info. Think about weight too. While .50 bullets are painful, they are also a bit heavy (and guns designed for them are also heavier). A .50 caliber sniper rifle won't be as easy to carry as a .30 etc. See my CS for an example of a suitable description.
    • There won't be tons of combat, but when something does arise, fight realistically. Even a sniper can't get 100% insta-kill headshots. Guns can miss or jam, sword strokes can be parried etc.
    • If you are getting into a long chat, you could plan it out via PMs or in the OOC thread to avoid cluttering the RP thread with one line posts, and have one of you post it.
    • Question? Ask. I'll be more than willing to help.
    • Need something to do? I can set something up for your character, such as something to investigate.
    • Major events should be given the go-ahead by me first (eg, demolishing a building or finding a chest full of shiny things, timeskips etc)
    • I'll only do a timeskip when everyone is ready. If you want to timeskip and everyone else is still busy doing their thing, wait for the others
    • Each character must have a flaw of some sort. What it is up to you, but make sure it could possibly play out in the RP, not something so conditional that it will probably never happen (eg, a don't have a crippling fear of giant spider-lizard-cat-tree mutants)
    • Pets are allowed
    • Third or first person POVs are fine, so long as you stick to it, not suddenly change POV halfway during the post unless you need to. Also keep an eye out that you are not mixing up past and present tense.
    • I'll accept more than one character per person, but be sure you can manage it.

The CS:

Name:
    Race:
    M/F:
    Basic physical appearance and attributes: (include clothing etc, maybe your character has a scar in the shape of a peanut? Etc. A picture or a description is fine)
    Personality: (Including a flaw of some sort is recommended)
    Skills:
    Personality:
    Weapons:
    Backstory: (Be creative!)
    Misc: (Any other details about your character you want to mention?)

Once we have a few players, the RP will begin

2. El Barto 227

The Character Sheets:

El Barto 227 (GM): Narolf, Floran trader and mayor

CS:
    Name: Narolf
    Race: Floran
    M/F: Male
    Basic physical appearance and attributes: See my avatar.

Skills: Narolf is a fair shot with his rifle, having used it to hunt game for several months. He was taught how to use his spear and shield as he was raised, and keeps them as a reminder of the friends and family he left behind.

Personality: Narolf is a kindly but impatient Floran. He is often distracted, and rambles on when trying to figure out a problem. He feels quite protective of his people, and tries his best to ensure everything is running smoothly for them. He has a fear of the dark, and prefes to be in a cozy place with plenty of light during night-time.

Weapons etc: a tribal shield and spear, plus a bolt-action sniper-rifle.
    The rifle has a small capacity, only holding four .30 rounds in the internal magazine -and one chambered- before needing to be reloaded. Each round is loaded individually into an internal magazine. Has a telescopic scope.

Backstory: Narolf grew up as a member of a Floran tribe, but was not very content with them. He found that he enjoyed trading, and decided to start as a merchant, trading goods with other races. His tribe were not happy about this, as they believed that the other races were evil and enemies of flora. This did not stop Narolf, who left them. After finding Zeta-Six, he decided to settle and use as his base of operations for his intergalactic freight and trading business.
    However, he sees the planet's potential, and has decided to start a settlement for outcasts, or those who, like he did, want to have a new life.

3. Ikbenbeter

Ikbenbeter Pangalactic Porcupine

I am sorry for asking, but what is a town RP?

4. El Barto 227

No need to be sorry for asking, Rule six:
    • Question? Ask. I'll be more than willing to help.
    To answer your question, a town RP is basically an RP that revolves around a town and it's people. It not necessarily restricted to only the town (we will probably have expeditions and such when the main story elements start), but it mostly focuses on it. I like this type of RP a lot because it has plenty of opportunities for interaction and events.

and I just realised that the appearance part of my CS is incomplete, i'll patch it up now