1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound 64x crashes when launched via launcher & Steam.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Mood, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mood

Mood Big Damn Hero

Hi.

I've had this issue for quite some time. Whenever I try to launch 64x via the launcher through Steam it always crashes after I select 64x and click the button.

But starting 64x directly through the .exe file in the folder works just dandy, but then you won't have Steam activated for the game.

Any help?

(I might add that normal Starbound works fine through Steam/Launcher)

Sincerely

Mood

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Are you on linux?

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Isnt the x64 option on the launcher tied to the Windows DirectX version? Which would account for why its failing to run.

4. Mood

Mood Big Damn Hero

@xxswatelitexx Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm on Windows 7 64x.

@lazarus78 I think the default 64x is DirectX yes, but neither it nor Opengl works through the launcher. Both work via their respective .exe's though.

5. lazarus78

The launcher must be broken then. I duno. I never use the launcher anymore.

6. Mood

Mood Big Damn Hero

I've had this issue for a long time - just decided to post about it now. Surely I'm not the only one with the game crashing in 64x via the launcher?

7. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

I dunno what the difference between x64 and normal. So the normal one I always click and it works fine.

8. lazarus78

x64 is for 64bit systems. Its main advantage is that it can use more than the 2(3)GB of memory a 32bit (AKA x86) application can. IIRC the technical limit for a 64bit app is like 192TB of memory... theoretically, of course.

If you have a 64bit OS, then its generally a good idea to use 64bit applications where able. They also should process faster because more information can be processed by your CPU at once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.