Dev Blog Starbound 1.3 [UNSTABLE]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 31, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

You do the quest for the little penguin next to it, which unlocks after the shockhopper mission.

2. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

It is necessary to complete the first mission

The new Mech in the way!!
    starbound 2017-06-01 00-50-36-43.png

Kelthazan, DraikNova and Kawa like this.
  3. Gon009

Gon009 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think I found that "visual novel engine".
    LOL22.png

And anyway it's amazing thing, much much better than "maze minigame". I don't want to spoil it here :p

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Noice.

Does anyone know whether the green beams actually do anything? I know they mark where the dungeon's gravity ends, but do they do anything in particular?

5. Trek47

Trek47 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OH THANK YOU CHUCKLEFISH I NEEDED THIS SO MUCH IN MY LIFE SQUEEEEEE
    ...seriously, though, I'm still pumped for everything else!

6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Wait, that's real? Not a joke post?

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah that pause thing is ridiculously awesome.

I had to use it already on my first play session, lol. It was SO nice not having to build a box around myself and just hope nobody bothered me for something. Works like a charm!

Zlyvr likes this.
  8. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Anyone else enjoying the hell out of these new elevators? They're magical. Out of everything, I think these might be my favorite addition.

Zlyvr and Pohany like this.
  9. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

just came up with something there need to be punching robot arms to the mechs too.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

An engine that takes .sbvn files, bby :D

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

New elevators?

I just started my playthrough so I'm not that far yet... but I'm curious. Could I actually now build multi-floor houses that aren't annoying?

Kelthazan likes this.
  12. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

Looks like the Starbound Game Engine is a Multi-Layer Inception

Don't kill me

13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, you can call the new elevators and navigate using arrow keys while in them. No rust versions though, it seems. Which is too bad; I like rust for some biome-specific and floran and glitch builds.

14. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

Nobody knows how the patch file should look like for mechparts_body.config !? [​IMG]

I'm Still bad at coding! ))

• Perfect armor set now slightly weaker than Tier 6 crafted armors

But I spent so long getting it!

15. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

I'm wondering what would cause the unstable version to up and ctd upon selecting a character?
    Cause that is what's happening when ever I try the unstable build.
    Is it because I have mods for the stable build of the game through steam?

16. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, we definitely need themed versions, but these things work great on the space-stations! No longer do we have to build an in-game computing system that could probably play Doom to have platforms go to certain floors! Life is good.

-edit-
    And hoooooh boy, someone check out the Provisions Trader in the Space Station! He sells "Food Rations" and buys "Medical Supplies". Maybe we're going to get a legit economy/trading/market system? Expanding on economics and trading would be so awesome.

17. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

A worldmap so we can see planets from the ship, teleport to any point on the surface or any portal in the planet, and once in the planet so we can know where we've been and where we are.

It could be something like this:

• Locations now save a 'fog of war' data that stores where you've been in a location already. When playing in multiplayer. This data is used to show pitch black areas of a location you haven't visited yet that are not on the surface. The surface of locations you visit will be uncovered after the ship's sensors have been repaired.
    • Local map view:
      • Shows the current location. Planet, mission, outpost, etc.
      • Can be accessed with a button on the toolbar. The button expands itself when you click it, letting you choose between toggling it by clicking the button again, or picking different views of the map in the extended buttons: a large opaque map covering the entire screen, a translucent overlay of the map over the screen, and a minimap panel on one of the the corners of the screen. You'd be able to move the minimap around.
      • When playing in multiplayer, the fog of war is shared between you and party members, letting you see a grayed view in the parts your friends have uncovered that you didn't, instead the pitch black you'd usually see.
    • Navigation map view:
      • When a location has already been visited once, the Navigation panel at the ship would allow an additional zoom in on the location. This extra zoom shows the 'world map' of that location, the areas not yet visited covered by the pitch black fog of war. It'll probably take a little to load, though.
      • When viewing location world maps this way, players will be able to teleport to any point of the surface of the location and to any teleporter placed by you or friends in your party, including those under the surface.

I don't have the best memory and I keep forgetting where I've been and where I left things, so a map like this is just all I need right now to finally enjoy the game.

Bookhorse likes this.
  18. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Steam's Starbound and Starbound - Unstable are treated as two different games as far as Steam cares and so each will have their own folder. If you manually installed a mod like FU or something to Unstable then not only would you need to uninstall the game from Steam but also delete all extra files the mod added by deleting the Starbound - Unstable folder itself manually. If you never put any mods on Unstable though then it should work fine regardless of what you may have on Stable.

19. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

Well I can launch and play the game normally but I can't play it through steam for some unknown reason.