Dev Blog Starbound 1.3 [UNSTABLE]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 31, 2017.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I would actually check up on my tenants if I had any (which I don't, because the Tier 1 tenants don't reward anything that makes it worthwhile to even do, and I don't build on high tier planets because it's a hassle), if we had a system like this.

I might actually care about tenants if I could level them up, even the ones that live near my base on my low-tier but much more pleasant and appealing planets.

2. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

That would be quite an improvement. I highly doubt I am the only one who would put a quest item into someone house just to complete it then right afterwards remove the item to keep it for myself or to be sold. I really do love the colony system and love how much freedom you have with it but for higher level tenants I wouldn't mind a little less freedom and more realistic requirements. You could literally make a small wooden box with a torch and as long you have three or so required items you can still get pretty much any tenant you want atm and what tier they are are pretty much how stupidly bad the planet they are living on is.

DraikNova likes this.
  3. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

That's what I'm wondering too. I know you probably can't say exactly since it will depend on how things go with unstable. But anything you can share about your plans in this regard would be appreciated by us GOG users.

Bookhorse likes this.
  4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

If the levelup system was effectively two-part, with tenants sometimes requesting higher-tier furniture, upgrading their actual tier (which would prevent players from getting tier 6 gear from a house on their starting planet at the beginning of the game but still let them get there eventually if they, say, got them some of the Stylish category of furniture), and sometimes just requesting more furniture, upgrading the amount/quality of tier-appropriate rewards, I would be doing nothing but improving my Tier 2 planet colony constantly to get as high a quality as possible. I need that tungsten ore man; if my tenants would give me some if I made them 20000 pixel value rooms, I would make them rooms twice that size.

5. Technospawn

Technospawn Void-Bound Voyager

Only problem is that i have built a massive base in an asteroid belt, With mini biomes for themed tenant housing, Massive storage areas, huge mannequin room with almost all of the armours/cosmetics. With no gravity this whole setup is now so frustrating to navigate. I'm yet to play much of the update as that was just so annoying, just hoping there would be some way to add back gravity to some of the areas, like a gravity generator maybe?

NanoPi, Speed Lightning and Blevruz like this.
  6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

If they added a new command to set dungeon gravity to go with the new functionality, you could probably use that to make the entire area have gravity. If not, I'm sure the new functionality will lead to people making gravity generator mods.

EDIT: Just checked, Frackin Universe already has one. So it should be doable.

EDIT2: /admin in the chat, then /setgravity with whatever value you want (I'd recommend 1 or 0.5 or somewhere in that range for ease of navigation). Then /admin again.

7. Sairus323

Sairus323 Void-Bound Voyager

... or you can use "Enviromental Safety" mod, which allows to create "in-room" gravity with its objects.

8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

As for the update in general, so glad to see details. Glad to see that besides adding in new features, they're fixing some of the small stuff. Can't wait to try this stuff out.

I was hoping they'd have a fix for old characters not being usable with inventory and hotbar mods. Namely looking at the data, defaulting/filling in the missing bits. Something anyone could do in theory via
    dump_versioned_json.exe to turn the player data into JSON
    edit the JSON to add what it needs (perhaps with a powershell script instead of manually)
    make_versioned_json.exe to turn the JSON back into player data

It would obviously be better that the game itself handled sanitizing the players. Oh well, can't have it all. We still get a lot this update, but I do hope that's coming eventually.

Well those aren't "blocks" you're speaking of. I guess there are invisible metamaterial blocks to provide collisions. They have plain old images paired with the collisions.

But for real tiles you can have angles a couple of ways such as a building a custom material template + having the angles in your PNG. I'm doing that for one blackglass-like material currently, but haven't pushed that update. All the same it works.

A person could maybe do this with all the vanilla materials if they so wanted. Because you'd look at the tile sheet PNGs as a bunch of parts. In a materialconfig you can set your rules for what parts appear where, and under what conditions. Nothing in particular that stops anyone from doing so to all the vanilla tiles.

DraikNova and General Nuclear like this.
  9. Blevruz

Blevruz Phantasmal Quasar

After some testing:

1) Mechs are pretty darn cool
    2) The new interface is great to navigate. I've yet to explore much space, but I'm eager to !
    3) YOU CAN USE THE "SLOPE" BLOCKS ! They are normal blocks which connect in a slope-like manner when they are placed in a corner
    4) We really need a way to set up gravity systems in custom-built bases. That's really important. Just have it work in closed spaces and it should be great
    5) A few fixes to be done - I can break the energy fields at the entrance of bandit ships, I can breathe in space without proper equipment, and that's pretty much all the bugs I've seen so far

Overall, great job !
    (why did you nerf the perfect armor though)

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Having taken more of a look at the update (and seen that we don't have mech cosmetics , which would be nice to at least have for the non-arm components), I now have yet another question that will probably not be answered: Is it possible to mod away the "beam down with mech" button completely, or is this yet another annoyingly unmoddable thing about the HUD?

Can we at least have the option to deploy to bookmarked places with our mechs?

11. Temchak

Temchak Void-Bound Voyager

NOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Why would you nerf Perfect Armor Set? I grinded so hard for it, and now it's the worst tier 6 armor set! Why would anyone even get it now =(

Other things are just great, btw. Already tried out, very nice!

DraikNova and Blevruz like this.
  12. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

We all need a Neko Mech!
    5b5799b105a8de11fd45a3a8fd878e13.jpg

13. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Aweeeeeeeesome - downloading now! :"D So excited! Thanks for the awesome update guys!

14. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Are sets that have already been crafted before the update safe? Or does it affect already existing sets too? And yeah; the Perfect Set is essentially a semi-secret thing. There's no need for it to be balanced, and given the Vaults, it makes for a nice and reasonable upgrade to the Tier 6 sets, essentially acting like a Tier 7 armor set that you have to do something different to get.

Speed Lightning likes this.
  15. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

I went right for space station building once I got the mech and had some fun with it. Some thoughts; The metal demands are very high for vanilla. Hundreds of titanium, gold silver and copper are needed to make even a small station. Let alone 300+ each for something with 1-2 large cores in it and some large hallways. Guess I'll have to take back anything I said about FU miner bee's being OP, only way I'd ever get a station large enough for a functioning lab in frackin universe. I mean a small station in vanilla would be usable, for certain, and a nice alternative to just upgrading the ship to maximum size. But a large core is likely necessary for the huge number of workstations you get in FU.

As for the mechs, is there anything in between the starting mech and the one requiring Violium?

16. Temchak

Temchak Void-Bound Voyager

Perfect Sets crafted before the update are now have Ferozium tier-6 stats (worst) and Violium tier-6 Damage (worst).
    I'm not sure if it can be considered as a "secret set" since it's craftable through the Treasured Trophies. And I never built a farm so I grinded monsters for hours to get the ingredients. =(

Nope, but you have a nice variation of better mech bodies and other parts

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2017
  17. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Guess I'm going to have to /spawnitem in new sets of armor with the proper stats then to replace the ones I made. Incidentally, do they still have the same sell price, or is my fluffalo farm now worthless?

On a side note, having watched another playthrough of the new update, yay for angled blocks. Too bad engines have the torch icon for some reason.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Thank you, I'll keep that picture around for reference :cathug:

19. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

So far so good! I just got my first mech and I'm really liking the feel and gameplay :> Needs costume slots though! That would be amazing. I like the color options. There's a bit more than what the paint tool has, but still not a whole lot. #1.4ShouldBeAColorWheelUpdatePleaseILoveYou.
    -edit-
    Oh - can you make it so we can deploy our mech from the planet - like Titan Fall it in?

20. SeekoDestroyer

SeekoDestroyer Big Damn Hero

How do you get Mechs? It just says Unauthorized User