Dev Blog Starbound 1.3 [UNSTABLE]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 31, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Tier 8 ships no longer being a thing -> Poop. Well, I'm glad I got my Tier 8 axes while it lasted. Guess I'm going to have to download a mod to fix that.
    Mechs being something you deploy with when you teleport -> Not too happy about this. I'd prefer if they worked like normal vehicles and used controllers.
    When opening inventory, first tab will be selected by default -> Not good, since I often want to go back to the tab I was just at if I remember something I have to still do with that tab. I'd prefer if it stuck on the tab I was last in.
    Visual novel engine -> ? Are we capable of writing books now? What does this mean?
    Perfect set being weaker than Tier 6 -> Why would perfect armor be weaker than normal armor? Please change this back. It's just illogical.
    Block types permeable to liquid -> Could we get a list? This could be very good or very bad, potentially speaking. If this means what I think it does, I'm going to have a lava flooding problem at my in-progress foundry.

If I understand some of the modding changes, we're now capable of making artificial gravity stuff. Nice.
    Apart from that, I've already voiced my opinions on this stuff previously.

EDIT: Damn, the Occasus mech bodies, the Cyclops body and the Lilotron body. I'd feel bad for using the Occasus series, but the Lilotron is just too good. Any modders out there willing to mod this in as a mech body?

EDIT2: Can someone confirm whether we have multiple rail tram styles or not?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Blevruz and STCW262 like this.
  2. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

AIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIIAI SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    I love it already. Starbound, how much you've grown. At the moment i'm posting this, I'm booting up nightly to mech around a bit.

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Okay, so, according to the wiki, the mech part crafting table is only available as part of the outpost. Here's hoping we can craft that crafting table in the final release, because, quite frankly, why shouldn't we be able to?

I'm glad we apparently are getting a new legendary spear (the Drill Spear, according to the wiki). I've always felt spears were underappreciated.

4. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]
    THANK YOU! You have no freaking clue how many characters I had restarted only because I forgot which planets I already did after taking a long break. That little unexplored note is a godsend and imo one of the minor features that automatically made this update 10/10 for me.

Animeboy918, Surenu, M_Sipher and 6 others like this.
  5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I was actually going to request that feature before you mentioned it. Man, that's going to be the one feature I am completely, unambiguously happy about this update.

6. Official_KP

Official_KP Void-Bound Voyager

*creams pants* I HAVE BEEN CHECKING EVERYDAY FOR THE UPDATE AND IT IS HERE!!!

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Hmm, considering how these mech parts work, will we get a mannequin equivalent? It'd be a nice way to show off one's collection of mech parts.

Speed Lightning likes this.
  8. Asiak

Asiak Space Hobo

Will save games be compatible with this new version?

Does anyone know if we will be able to build the new modular space stations in the higher asteroid field orbit of actual planets?

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Can confirm they work fine.

Lodish likes this.
  10. Asiak

Asiak Space Hobo

Thanks.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I think what he meant by (2) was that they wanted more non-corridor rooms to be able to build.

It seems like most of the rooms are corridors and they were wanting more, larger square rooms to build homes in? That's what I'm guessing he meant anyways.

Though, removing expansion doors you have no plans of using would be nice too, but I'd hate to permanently lose the ability to add on if I changed my mind later lol.

EDIT: Just noticed yet another nerf to colonization.

What tier are space stations considered? 1 as well? Apparently, CF thinks that the richest NPCs want to live in the most unpleasant hellholes around because the only way to get higher tiers is to build on ridiculous planets nobody would want to live on.

12. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

This update looks very interesting, although I have several questions and comments.

1) You mentioned that while playing in one's single-player universe, the "gameplay now pauses while [the] menu is open". Is this referring to the menu that appears upon pressing Escape, or to all menus such as the inventory and codex? Considering that some may wish to continue moving and playing while checking their settings or viewing other in-game windows, will this function be configurable as an option?
    2) One of my friends has recently shared an image of a system with a massive number of space stations. I would like to see a limit for the number of player-created space stations per system in order to prevent space station singularities from occurring in some systems; a limit of eight to ten will work incredibly well. I also strongly recommend adding a server-sided limit for the number of player-created space stations per player, as server attackers will otherwise take advantage of this, even in smaller servers or potentially temporary multiplayer games. Alternatively, the world files for these space stations should be in a separate folder within the "universe" folder, or a configuration can be added for disabling the creation of these space stations on servers.
    3) You mentioned that asteroid fields are now accessible from any position in its orbit, as they are 'stretched' across the entire ring of orbit. I believe that it may be reasonable for asteroid fields that are not ring-shaped to also exist; I recommend that these do not be replaced entirely.
    4) Although the perfect set does require more time in order to obtain it than standard tier-6 armor, it is wise to reduce its power very slightly, as it affects damage, energy, and health similarly.
    5) This update is mainly regarding structures and other things in space. However, I have noticed that some dungeons on planets are slightly generic, as they lack variety in the ways that they can be generated; examples include Miniknog dungeons, abandoned traditional-themed castles, and abandoned underwater settlements. After this update, will the developers consider further work on dungeons, dungeon parts, dungeon generation styles, and potentially more microdungeons?

Otherwise, thank you for the update. I look forward to exploring zero-gravity environments and space stations. =D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  13. TheGladex

TheGladex Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that would be fine if they had things you could build for protecting those houses. Those planets are just a pain to build, add some mechanics to alleviate that and it could make sense.

STCW262 likes this.
  14. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, at least if they live on my ship, they get to see the galaxy. It's basically a cruise ship. Logically, that should be where the impossibly rich tenants want to live.
    Escape only. I saw a "video" on Healthire's twitter showing off the functionality, and you can compare that with all the times in videos that the inventory was open; the game clearly doesn't pause then.

STCW262 and Speed Lightning like this.
  15. blaine871

blaine871 Void-Bound Voyager

So. Question. Since I cannot see anything on it at the moment. Will old planet saves be untouched? Or should we all get ready for a wipe? Im a moderator on one of the servers on starbound. Id like to know ahead of time if you would if we need to be ready to rebuild months of work or not when the update comes out. :p

Edit: I only ask this becuase I cannot find anything on it at the moment of this message anywhere else on the forums.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

No wipes should be necessary, all of the planets and systems are still there (though you might have to venture enough distance to generate new blocks of the universe to see the new content).

We're merely adding new navigation UIs and new planets/systems/stars/etc.

The only time a wipe is necessary is when you remove old content (you'll get errors if you don't). But since we're not removing anything, it should all work nicely.

SenninShin likes this.
  17. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Quick question to anyone who's already playing: do we have mech cosmetic slots yet?

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

As another suggestion having to do with tenants.....

I don't get why we don't have a "Levelup" System. That would make SO much more sense.

Make it so that when you do quests for a tenant, they levelup. You start out with a Tier 1 tenant, and maybe 3 quests later, they will become a Tier 2 tenant (regardless of where they are). Then, after, say, 5 more quests, they become a Tier 3 tenant. and so on.

This actually encourages players to interact with their tenants other than to simply grab the rewards now&then when they happen to be in the area.

EDIT: Either that, or have tenants periodically request certain types of furniture (decorations, beds, etc) to be added to their home and as you do this, they become higher tier. This might mean you might need to expand their home, which would encourage players to build larger, more extravagant homes for each tenant to fit all that furniture and aesthetic decorations.

NanoPi, Sendaiko, lordbociek and 8 others like this.
  19. blaine871

blaine871 Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you. thats a major releif lol.

20. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

See, if that's how it worked, I would be actually willing to let my tenants keep their furniture.

TheGladex likes this.