Dev Blog Starbound 1.3 - Spacefarer Trailer

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I understand planet-bound enemies don't drop mech energy recharge thingies, so you're on a timer.

Ferrettomato likes this.
  2. Luxzin

Luxzin Yeah, You!

On my steam, only the unstable version updated today, not the stardard one. I restarted steam, but the stardard version didn't update. Is there a way to solve this? I want to play on the stardard one because of the achievements.

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Has anybody else had their teleporter bookmarks messed up? The perfectionist in me had them all arranged using an alphabetical code, but now it's just a mess.

Also, space combat with mechs is hard. Not even admin mode helps, and it's strange how losing your mech is basically a death sentence despite being able to survive in asteroid fields.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    glassdragon and DraikNova like this.
  4. Mr Brightside

Mr Brightside Void-Bound Voyager

I really enjoy this update right now, the only problem (kind of) I have with mechs is that I think it looks kind of weird how we leave our mech flying in space when we teleport back on our ship. It just... stays there. I mean, can't we teleport WITH mech? (just saying, not asking, maybe I don't understand how teleportation works in this game)

DraikNova likes this.
  5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, if the teleporter bookmarks are messed up, I'm going to be really pissed, because I'm not going to be able to find anything anymore then.

6. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

are you useing the drill too or only the gun?

7. Mr Brightside

Mr Brightside Void-Bound Voyager

I wouldn't say that combat is difficult, of course, aiming can be tricky when you're moving in space and damage that you take can be a liiiiiiitle bit too much to stay alive (I almost turned into shreds because of some rocks with faces, so I had to tele back to my ship several times to repair my mech), but I think that when we'll get better mechs and weapons this whole thing will become much, much easier.

8. heavensblade456

heavensblade456 Intergalactic Tourist

so my friend told me the game updated and I went to play but I got a error it says fatal exception caught what should I do I even uninstalled the workshop stuff and the game

9. The Items Merchant.

The Items Merchant. Void-Bound Voyager

I'm just loving the mech combat! It's challenging but doable if you use your head!
    (A helpful tip or two to you all: Defend against everything, attack one at a time.
    Keep everything calm and controlled, and you're set.)
    Thank you for this update, Chuklefish! I've missed the mechs sinc ethe alpha and beta, and it's wonderful to have them back home.
    (Edit: Oh, almost forgot. Moving the camera with "ctrl" to keep everything in sight helps the most.)

Mr Brightside, metadept and Kawa like this.
  10. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

I find the mechs extremely unsightly in any configuration. Particularly, the crawly legless feet.

11. The Items Merchant.

The Items Merchant. Void-Bound Voyager

Personally I find them elegant in their simplicity,
    and effect trumps style, in this case. Style can come when you're strong enough for it.
    Also, lastly, don't those tiny asteroids remind anyone of a certain ancient movie poster?

Kawa likes this.
  12. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can confirm. Flags/teleporters are no longer in alpha numerical order

13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

People on the Starbound discord channel have been reporting that it's caused by the Enhanced Storage mod. Do you use Enhanced Storage?

14. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Well, I don't, and it's still happening to me.

15. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Can the drill attachment pierce the heavens?

16. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

neat stuff! is there going to be any work on race-specific mech parts, like weapons and boosters?

17. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

Thank you for releasing this update, Chucklefish. I look forward to playing with the new content. The 'general' blueprints - those that have a chance to unlock one blueprint from a pool of possible options - are incredibly helpful, as they minimize redundancy while collecting them; I appreciate that they have been used for mechs. I also look forward to exploring all of the space structures and dungeons. I do have several concerns regarding this update, however.

1) Regarding mechs themselves, they appear to be incredibly overpowered, as do the space enemies. I understand that the mechs should have an advantage, considering that they are larger than the player and have equally large weapons; however, as Jonesy has implied, I also find it rather odd that losing or exiting a mech provides an opportunity for a one-hit KO despite the player otherwise being capable of surviving in asteroid fields and probably space itself. I recommend that the mechs' and space enemies' attack power and defense both be reduced slightly in order to counteract this problem; this will not otherwise interfere with space combat, as both sides will remain in their current state of balance.

2) As several other players have mentioned in this thread and the previous thread regarding the unstable branch update, some space stations, especially player space stations, lack some variety. The player space stations in particular lack the ability for their colors to change or rooms to be removed; I would like to see these abilities added in a future update, which I expect to be possible by implementing an item or object that allows the entire space station to be configured by interacting with it.

3) My other concerns are regarding multiplayer gameplay in relation to the update, as it appears to have interfered with some of its functionality. I have written the remainder of this post here because I believe that it is relevant to this update and future updates.
    3a) Although the ability to create custom player space stations looks incredibly interesting, I have noticed that these may cause problems for servers. While I'm afraid that I have not managed to obtain very much information from others or from the official wiki regarding how extensively these can be configured by the server, I am concerned about the potential for massive numbers of space stations to exist within individual systems, causing severe strain on clients and servers. In order to prevent these space station singularities, in the case that they have not already been prevented, I recommend implementing a configuration file for the server that allows it to set the maximum number of space stations; this should allow servers to define the maximum number of player space stations per player and/or the maximum total number of player space stations in the server. In addition, the ability for those with administrative abilities to more easily moderate space stations by removing certain space stations - such as those with offensive or obscene names - and performing similar functions may be helpful.
    3b) All of the custom instanced worlds on a public server that I am a manager on appear to be encountering problems. One of my friends and co-managers has mentioned that - as far as they have collected - this is due to the client being required to also have the data for the instanced worlds in question. If what they have said is accurate, this is an unnecessary restriction against servers, as all types of servers, including those that are public, whitelisted, private, or intended only for one's friends, have functioned properly without it, regardless of whether they used custom instanced worlds. In addition, this restriction creates further work for players other than a server's host that could otherwise be easily avoided. Therefore, I recommend that the requirement be removed for both the client and server to have the same data for instances.

I understand that, as far as I have collected, the developers of Chucklefish prefer to focus on gameplay in singleplayer mode itself, and do not support multiplayer games as a result. This is somewhat beneficial in certain ways, as it ensures that the gameplay itself is mostly refined. However, I believe that both multiplayer games and public servers are healthy to players and beneficial to their gameplay because they provide them with an opportunity to meet other players and to create things or simply play together. Unique servers further enrich this experience by providing unique content such as custom stores, dungeons, and similar to a larger audience than simply those who would like to install more things. Therefore, I strongly recommend supporting the multiplayer system and its compatibility with the general population as soon as possible; this will also ensure that further updates do not require as much work for multiplayer functionality because it will be considered during work on other features.

Otherwise, I appreciate the work that you have done so far, Chucklefish. You have done very well. =D

18. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want to convert a space station into a space ship. How do i become able to mine the walls and doors?

19. CatofRiddles

CatofRiddles Subatomic Cosmonaut

anyone else have all of their creatures and npcs disappear? I checked my logs and it doesn't seem to be related to mods (that i know of)
    I keep getting this error:
    Code:
    [21:20:31.226] [Error] Exception while calling script init: (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/npcs/bmain.lua"]:31: attempt to index a nil value (global 'BData')
    stack traceback:
        [C]: in metamethod '__index'
        [string "/npcs/bmain.lua"]:31: in function <[string "/npcs/bmain.lua"]:17>

20. Shaggyd0g

Shaggyd0g Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Vanilla. Never installed a single mod so definitely not because of that.