Dev Blog Starbound 1.2.2 Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Hey everyone!

That unstable hotfix from last week is now a stable hotfix! Thank you to everyone who checked out the unstable branch and helped ensure we weren't releasing a hotbreak.

Here's what we fixed:

• Fix a bug causing frequent save file corruption on Windows after power loss
    • Fix generated monsters not using their special attacks
    • Fix kill achievements not unlocking properly
    • Fix several materials being erroneously tillable or tilling with the wrong tile mod
    • Fix a dungeon piece in underwater Hylotl cities occasionally failing to place
    • Fix a dungeon piece in ice vaults occasionally failing to place
    • Fix airship dungeon sometimes spawning without a clue object
    • Fix Dreadwing not properly dying when killed with Doomcannon
    • Fix Mazebound64 game
    • Disable Outpost return gate to prevent several potential exploits
    • Miscellaneous bug fixes
    • Santa has gone ho ho home, to return another Christmas!
    [​IMG]

Crossfang, Zebe, Tamorr and 8 others like this.
  2. steelwing

steelwing Big Damn Hero

*applauds* :chucklefish::confirm:

3. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Randomly gernerated monsters use their special attacks now?

Hooray, my Pokemons are gonna be actually useful now! :D

Doctor Devil likes this.
  4. Arrevax

Arrevax Void-Bound Voyager

I thought that random monsters not using special attacks (fire breathing and such) was an intentional change. Randomly-generated monsters only using boring swipe attacks and charges made them very dull; exploring new planets was a lot less fun when I could just hop over almost any enemy and never take damage.
    Now, if only we could have special stars with maximum-difficulty planets of all kinds (fire, toxic, ice, etc.) again, I'd think that end-game play might actually be worthwhile. Terraformers are great, don't get me wrong, but you have to convert half of a planet to a new biome before you can have a top-tier difficulty toxic planet, for example, means missing out on half of the exploration. Unless I'm misunderstanding the mechanics— I finished the game once after official release and gave up on it because I couldn't stand boring random monsters and only fire-type planets to explore after finishing the main story (I absolutely HATE the terrain destruction caused by meteor storms!).

Edit: It seems that Chucklefish was referring to regular attack animations. Generated mobs are still boring, but at least they don't rely entirely on contact damage, I guess.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    skid324 likes this.
  5. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

"Disable Outpost return gate to prevent several potential exploits"

Since it's now fixed, what exactly was happening? And how would something be exploit-y in a sandbox* game?

6. DeathMongerX

DeathMongerX Void-Bound Voyager

Xbox one?

7. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I haven't run across any laser bunnies yet. Although, I have only been on a Lush starter planet since the update dropped, and I'd bet those monsters are mundane by design. Imma beam down to a forest planet after I do some more college groanwork (homework). For those wondering, no character wipe. I'm just starting my 8th character. My first Starbound character has been reborn in the full version. I'm only using weapons with him that Link would use.

8. MrCasual112

I'm not seeing any randomly generated creatures doing special attacks

All I'm seeing them do is charge

Is fire breath / electric shock etc gone from them? I liked this one fire breathing dragon critter I had before...I'd like to have stuff like that back

9. bjorn0411

bjorn0411 Phantasmal Quasar

Basically, one could use the teleporter to warp back to the latest location, this caused problems when youve just done a mission, since it will take you back to the teleporter at the end of the dungeon, but since the dungeon was finished it was unloaded, and warping back makes a new one, resetting the end dungeon chest, which means that for example the erchius mission, if you were to finish that, loot the chest, go back to the outpost teleporter at the left end, and use it to "warp back" youll get right back to the end of the mission and can loot the chest twice, getting twice the loot, then its just to go out through the end and back through the outpost teleporter again to loot the chest a third time, repeat for infinite tech cards, upgrade modules, and manipulator modules, aswell as loot and weapons.

(side note that this exploit was only usable in dungeons/missions where there was no door between the teleporter and chest, since the dungeon was made anew the doors lock untill the boss is killed or some other criteria is done)

DragonsForce likes this.
  10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Is the special attacks fix only for flying monsters? Or does it, as most seem to be assuming here, for all procedurally generated monsters?

11. Iaeyan Elyuex

I've yet to see any procgens so much as spit venom. I think they're pulling our legs.

12. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Well, I just saw a flying monster spit a ball of poison at me, but not any of the walking ones. It took a while though. I think the already generated procgens don't do it.

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That'd make perfect sense.

14. Iaeyan Elyuex

I've generated new planets. None of the walking ones nor the small flying ones spit crap. I haven't seen the big birds since this dropped.

15. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm confused, are monsters now able to use attacks (again) other than bash/charge, like the big birds in the atmosphere? If that's the case...hizzah! May I relive my moment of running from death birds, jumping off a desert mesa, onto a monster which has laser eyes!

16. DevonDe

DevonDe Big Damn Hero

17. MrCasual112

edit

I found some mods that do what I wanted, and apparently the recent update makes them work

But still I find it very very odd to remove monster specials at all. It removes a TON of variation and challenge, and makes all your pets just cosmetic.

Edit2

And Chucklefish (or anyone reading) can you guys PLEASE make defense turrets able to hold guns again and change the projectile? I miss that a lot! Or is there a mod for that? Didn't see one, and I searched a lot.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  18. Yarott

Yarott Phantasmal Quasar

I think the dismount animation should have a delay for when the cockpit hatch opens, along with a tiny jump boost when leaving the mech.