1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Starbind - Mod Synchronizer

Discussion in 'Other' started by Douggernaut, Dec 14, 2013.

1. artisticMink

artisticMink Aquatic Astronaut

you probably have an syntax error in your config.json. There should be a file called config.default.json. Look at it and compare it to yours.

2. icakakneja

icakakneja Intergalactic Tourist

i didnt have it but i put it myself and i cheket atlest 6 times if i messed the syntax .can you show me an example pls. i am despared
    and ty for your help

3. artisticMink

artisticMink Aquatic Astronaut

I got server and client to work by now, but i recieve a error (and server crash) as soon as i am connecting to the starbind server with a client. I'll put the error stack at the end.

As a whole, it's a great idea and i would like to use it in the future. Right now, however, the amount of work that is needed to get the server running exceeds by far the amount of work that is necessary to simply prepare a mod-manager installation and provide the merged files as downloadable archive. Also i personally find it kinda hard to grasp what the server actually does (could look into the source code tough but i'm too lazy~ ). Can it only manage files who have a mod.json? You mentioned something about it could be working with loose config files in the mods directory?

But as i said, the idea is great and i'm sure it will become quite useful soon. Thanks for developing it.

Error:
    Code:
    Error: `secret` option required for sessions
        at Object.session [as handle] (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/session.js:230:24)
        at next (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/proto.js:193:15)
        at Object.cookieParser [as handle] (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/cookieParser.js:65:5)
        at next (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/proto.js:193:15)
        at multipart (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/multipart.js:97:37)
        at /var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/bodyParser.js:64:9
        at urlencoded (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/urlencoded.js:41:37)
        at /var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/bodyParser.js:62:7
        at json (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/json.js:42:37)
        at Object.bodyParser [as handle] (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/bodyParser.js:60:5)
        at Object.expressInit [as handle] (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/lib/middleware.js:30:5)
        at Object.query [as handle] (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/middleware/query.js:45:5)
        at Function.app.handle (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/proto.js:201:3)
        at Server.app (/var/www/public/starbind-server/node_modules/express/node_modules/connect/lib/connect.js:65:37)
        at Server.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:98:17)
        at HTTPParser.parser.onIncoming (http.js:2108:12)
        at HTTPParser.parserOnHeadersComplete [as onHeadersComplete] (http.js:121:23)
        at Socket.socket.ondata (http.js:1966:22)
        at TCP.onread (net.js:525:27)

4. Douggernaut

Douggernaut Master Chief

I'm looking into this now to see what's going on with the mac version.

If you're on Windows and your JSON syntax looks correct, see if you have any back slashes "\" in your STARBOUND_INSTALL_DIR. They should all be "escaped" by using double backslashes "\\". Feel free to PM me your config.json and I can take a look at it if that doesn't fix it.

barnii007 likes this.
  5. Douggernaut

Douggernaut Master Chief

The error you're seeing is probably that you are missing a SESSION_SECRET property in your config.json file. This can be any string of random characters, see the GitHub page for better directions about running the server.

The server will do what most mod managers do by automatically extracting any mod zip files in the mods directory and merging them into a special assets directory for Starbound. It will then serve all files in this mod directory so that clients can download the mod files (it provides a checksum of each file so clients will download only the files that are missing).

6. icakakneja

How can i make it run my custom console(.jar) and not the default starbound_server.exe
    and how to make it work over internet the only ones who can sync are me and all in my lan network

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  7. Douggernaut

Douggernaut Master Chief

There is currently no mechanism for customizing how the Starbind server launches the Starbound server, but you don't have to use the Starbind admin panel to launch the Starbound server, it's merely there for convenience. Simply startup Starbind and once it's done merging the mods you can launch your Starbound server in whatever way you please.

To get Starbind to work over the Internet you will probably need to look into port forwarding your Starbind port to your computer.

8. icakakneja

Not helping i don't have a router :D but anyway ty for the help

9. devcutter

devcutter Zero Gravity Genie

possibilities to include spawn protection since we cant use it with any other starbound server? :p

10. rocker742

rocker742 Aquatic Astronaut

Is this still being updated?

I'm trying to host a server for me and my friends and so I run StarbindServer.bat. I launch the client after syncing mods with starbind.bat, but then I run into a problem. Entering my IP into the multiplayer panel (25.32.32.194) gives me the error that it couldn't connect to 25.32.32.194:21025. And when I input 25.32.32.194:1337 I receive the error "Unknown server version."

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or is this just not updated for Angry Koala?

11. devcutter

devcutter Zero Gravity Genie

any eta ?

12. prolik3

prolik3 Space Hobo

when i start the starbind server (node app.js server( i get

Starbound game path set to: /home/x/server/linux64
    connect.multipart() will be removed in connect 3.0
    visit https://github.com/senchalabs/connect/wiki/Connect-3.0 for alternatives
    connect.limit() will be removed in connect 3.0
    Found Starbound installation!
    Added starbind_mods to /home/x/x/linux64/bootstrap.config.
    Indexing Starbound assets directory for mod merging...Done!
    Running in SERVER mode.
    Done merging mods.
    Server listening on port 1337
    Starbind shutting down, reverting bootstrap.config changes...Done.

but wenn i acces the http page ist says Starbound server down and when i click start server nothing happens.

???

13. Dat Miyamoto

Dat Miyamoto Orbital Explorer

My server will not start if I have custom race mods :(

14. Trixrforkids

Trixrforkids Space Hobo

Last login: Thu Feb 13 16:25:33 on ttys000

Justin-Botkins-MacBook-Pro:~ justinbotkin$ /Users/justinbotkin/Downloads/starbind_mac/Starbind.command ; exit;

/Users/justinbotkin/Downloads/starbind_mac/Starbind.command: line 10: node: command not found

logout

[Process completed]

This is what i get when i open starbind.command am i doing something wrong?

15. pixiesquisher

pixiesquisher Big Damn Hero

How would I go about running this from a server externally hosted? Like, if you have your server running on Creeperhost, the process would be different, right?

16. halu

halu Yeah, You!

Hey, I'm having problems with my server and i can't get it to work, It's a SyntaxError: Unexpected string and here is my config

[ This is my server when i launch it ]

Error parsing config.json: SyntaxError: Unexpected token P

fs.js:427
    return binding.open(pathModule._makeLong(path), stringToFlags(flags), mode);
    ^
    Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory 'C:\Users\Calum\Desktop\starbind_win\co
    nfig.default.json'
    at Object.fs.openSync (fs.js:427:18)
    at Object.fs.readFileSync (fs.js:284:15)
    at Object.<anonymous> (C:\Users\Calum\Desktop\starbind_win\server\config.cof
    fee:22:28)
    at Object.<anonymous> (C:\Users\Calum\Desktop\starbind_win\server\config.cof
    fee:79:4)
    at Module._compile (module.js:456:26)
    at Object.loadFile (C:\Users\Calum\Desktop\starbind_win\node_modules\coffee-
    script\lib\coffee-script\coffee-script.js:182:19)
    at Module.load (C:\Users\Calum\Desktop\starbind_win\node_modules\coffee-scri
    pt\lib\coffee-script\coffee-script.js:211:36)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
    at Module.require (module.js:364:17)
    at require (module.js:380:17)
    at Object.<anonymous> (C:\Users\Calum\Desktop\starbind_win\server\server.cof
    fee:4:12)
    at Object.<anonymous> (C:\Users\Calum\Desktop\starbind_win\server\server.cof
    fee:93:4)
    at Object.loadFile (C:\Users\Calum\Desktop\starbind_win\node_modules\coffee-
    script\lib\coffee-script\coffee-script.js:182:19)
    at Module.load (C:\Users\Calum\Desktop\starbind_win\node_modules\coffee-scri
    pt\lib\coffee-script\coffee-script.js:211:36)
    at Module.require (module.js:364:17)
    at require (module.js:380:17)
    at Object.<anonymous> (C:\Users\Calum\Desktop\starbind_win\app.js:2:1)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:474:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
    at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:497:10)
    at startup (node.js:119:16)
    at node.js:902:3
    Press any key to continue . . .

[ This is my config.json ]

{
    "PORT": 1337,
    "STARBOUND_INSTALL_DIR": "Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Starbound"
    "ADMIN_USERNAME":"iputsomethingelse",
    "ADMIN_PASSWORD":"iputsomethingelse",
    "SESSION_SECRET":"MySessionSecret"
    }

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  17. Slipgate

Slipgate Void-Bound Voyager

After I sync up with the Starbind server, should I expect the mods that I placed into the starbind mod folder to show up in the starbound mod folder?

18. StrikerTheHedgefox

StrikerTheHedgefox Void-Bound Voyager

Any alternatives to this? This just doesn't work whatsoever, and doesn't stick to the official mod format at all... (Plus, even if my mods are installed the starbind way correctly, they do not load on the client despite being there.)

19. Derpy Inc.

Derpy Inc. Void-Bound Voyager

Have you found the solution to Barnii007's problem, because I have the exact same problem.

20. Demokdawa

Demokdawa Big Damn Hero

I have an hand-made python script if anyone is interested i can share it.