1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Stable [Pleased Giraffe] Augments Reborn! [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by TanzNukeTerror, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

2. Kokiri Minish

Kokiri Minish Space Penguin Leader

Seems like a cool idea but maybe make the legs and helms have bonuses too?Maybe also have alternate bonuses per race?

3. TanzNukeTerror

I was going to try to avoid leg and helm bonuses, as it would be much more difficult to balance. However, back items are on their way, so there will be some variation that's not tied to races.

I'm not sure what you mean by alternate bonuses per race. Customization? Potentially, in the future. Keep in mind that this is just v1.0, and is subject to change. c:

Eternalmyst likes this.
  4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Only glitch have a negative effect but Hylotl get 2 bonuses? Seems unfair.

5. Kokiri Minish

Good point there would be a LOT of balancing.As for back items,YAY i finally have a reason to equip flood light instead of lantern on a stick!!!!

6. Kokiri Minish

I think the damage bonus might be very high and the hythol one kinda sucks...The bonuses should reflect the race more so i think florans should have extra damage while apex get the energy regen.Makes more sense for the stabbing race.

7. lazarus78

15-20-25% bonus at the cost of 5-10-15% decrease in speed seems rather steep to me.

8. TanzNukeTerror

Most of the bonuses are straight from the Wiki's list of planned species bonuses. (Except Glitch and Human.) I've done my best to make them feel balanced. A lot of stuff is pretty passive, like movement or regeneration. A bonus to hit strength is kind of OP. I've done some playtesting, and it feels okay to me. It can easily be countered with speed stims, and didn't feel horribly broken when I was playing.

However, this is just me. I'd say don't form an opinion without actually trying it, you know? It does feel a bit slow to start out, as Apex (Glitch having those stats was a mistake on my part.), but the damage boost levels it out, I feel.

I will accept your opinion, though, and will consider finding ways of balancing some more stuff out in the future. I just don't want to nerf everything into the ground, you know? Mixing up gameplay while trying to keep everything super balanced, is difficult. c:

I thought so, too. It didn't make sense for the Floran to have energy regen when they're mostly stabby, and stabby weapons don't use energy. I took most of the bonuses straight from the Wiki, and will have to swap some around in the future for sure.

9. Kokiri Minish

As someone he understands balancing issues,I feel you.(What race do you normally play?

10. TanzNukeTerror

Normally Floran. I really like the ship and they're tribal plant-lovers that aren't hippies. Which is cool. And they're kind of like kittens, in a way. Curious, not super knowledgeable, territorial and aggressive when they need to be, but friendly and sometimes adorable sometimes. (Look at the one at the Outpost, for example.)

11. lazarus78

Then make the damage boost lower and remove the movement penalty.

The main issue I'm seeing is simply that the glitch are the only ones with a disadvantage like they are being singled out. The damage bonus is outclassed rather quickly, but the movement hit is going to be more noticeable long term. Relying on a consumable in order to counter the effect is, IMO, a cop-out. No other race would have to deal with any negative effects.

I understand balancing is hard. God knows I'm no expert on the matter. Just my view on it.

12. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Shouldn't be tied to any armor. Make it a status effect that checks for a certain race and applies an effect. Have starter clothing apply the effect, and it would be flawless.

And you'll need a consumable to cancel out the status effect to prevent uninstall incompatibility.

*cue Lazarus talking how this does not make sense from a gameplay standpoint*

13. lazarus78

What evs. Its a mod, so it doesn't bother me so much.

14. TanzNukeTerror

The point of it being tied to armor was to make it so even though one race gets a certain bonus to its armor by default, they can use another species' armor to get their bonus. This was also taken from the Wiki, from a screenshot of Tiy talking about it in IRC.

Imgur re-host, since I dislike Photobucket.

[​IMG]

As far as uninstall incompatibilities go, I haven't actually tested that yet. Mostly because I personally wouldn't uninstall it without wiping my player/universe folders.

15. Mackinz

Okay, so Tanz, explain to me why a Hylotl would need an aid to swim faster than other races. Would it not make more sense for them to swim faster by default and all other races require an aid?

It also should be noted that there is no explicit plans for racial armor bonuses anymore (I don't have a year+ old photobucket image, but I have talked to some of the coders) and, even if it were to happen, that should not limit your creativity and your desire to make something unique.

16. TanzNukeTerror

Yes, it would make more sense. Of course it would. But I've done what I can at the moment. there's no saying I won't be able to change it for the future.

Anyone could have done what I did. I'm not part of CF. I don't actually develop Starbound. I'm sure actual racial bonuses would be better and more efficient. But I'm just an aspie with Notepad++ and some very basic ability to take a couple blocks and stick them together. I don't care if there are plans for racial bonuses or not. I was just stating that this mod, at its current state of having just been launched, was built on top of what I saw on the Wiki. It's not limiting anything. I've taken suggestions, and have agreed that some things may need to be rebalanced.

I'm also shit with lua. Hence no inventory expansion for Humans, or increased mining speed for Glitch. I've just picked apart what's already there and did what I knew how to do. I'm not a great modder. It's difficult for me to learn new things, but I've been trying. I generally hate asking for help, but already had a lot of help with the mod as-is. Having some default, eternal status effect applied to all races that does checks for which race they are and applies bonuses that way, sounds good, but when it comes to my knowledge of things, is far beyond my reach. Like with my lighting overhaul. I didn't change how ambient light was handled, which would make sense. I went and changed every object that emits light, into a point light. Efficient? Not at all. Does the job? Yeah. I understand the two are different, but give me a break, man. :c I'll probably be able to slap more blocks together in the future to do something similar to what you're suggesting, but at the moment, I'm just sticking the simple blocks together.

Edit: H for Humans.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  17. lazarus78

Don't you think you are being a tad argumentative, Mackinz? He made a mod based off what he wanted to make. Nothing more to it than that. It clearly doesn't appear that realism was on his check list.

18. Mackinz

I don't pick or choose when I appear "argumentative". I just enunciate my opinion and support it as best I can, regardless of who is going to respond.

It just so happens that the topic of "racial bonuses" is something I discuss often.

19. StonerMk2

StonerMk2 Void-Bound Voyager

So getting crashes with this mod installed whenever i click to make a Human chest piece. Anyone else having this? Not sure if this has anything to do with it but looked into the log file and saw this, again not sure if its related:

Error: Exception caught in client main-loop: (StatusEffectDatabaseException) No such unique stat effect '_regenerationT1'

20. TanzNukeTerror

I'll fix that right now and include it in today's patch. (10am PST) I guess I forgot to test Human armor when I flipped through the character creation looking for this sort of crash.

StonerMk2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.