Modding Discussion Spouses Redecorating: Ideas on how to stop it.

Discussion in 'Mods' started by PuzzlePrism, Apr 30, 2016.

?

Which idea do you think is most best but also the most plausible?

1. Remove the Spouse's ability to edit your house.

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Make wallpaper/flooring reusable.

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Make wallpaper/flooring stackable.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Add some sort of "catalog" system.

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. PuzzlePrism

PuzzlePrism Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I love decorating my house, and the marriage system in this game is pretty cool in my opinion at least. But I really hate it when they change your wallpaper or flooring or whatever else, especially as getting wallpaper/flooring is pretty much a game of luck regarding which ones you get on a specific day. Ultimately, I think there's a few solutions for keeping your house how you want it to look:

1. Remove the Spouse's ability to edit your house.

This is probably the best solution, but likely the hardest. I have zero programming experience and I'm nearly positive this would require some and require SMAPI.

2. Make wallpaper/flooring reusable.

This one is a bit weird, but basically you could reapply the same flooring or wallpaper without using it up. This would mean you wouldn't need to stockpile multiple of the same floor/wallpaper just to replace whatever your spouse puts up. Rather, you would only need to buy the flooring/wallpaper once and use it whenever your spouse changes stuff.

3. Make wallpaper/flooring stackable.

Right now, you need to have chests filled with the same flooring and wallpaper because they don't stack like some other items (for example, crops. You can have up to 999 parsnips in your inventory/storage in one slot.) This makes buying tons of these incredibly inconvenient-you need to have entire chests dedicated to storing just wallpaper or flooring. If you could stack them, they wouldn't take up anywhere as much space.

4. Add some sort of "catalog" system.

Anyone who has played an Animal Crossing probably knows what I mean here. Basically, every item you have bought in Animal Crossing can be viewed here, and you can order more of most items, with the exception of holiday exclusive or otherwise special items. You can read more here, if you want. Basically, this system would add the ability to order furniture or other cosmetic items you have already bought once. Then, the next day, you would receive your order in the mail. Obviously this would have to be limited in Stardew Valley-it wouldn't make sense to order fully grown crops. You could probably limit it to:
    -Furniture
    -Wallpaper/Flooring
    -Out of Season Seeds (for those who have a greenhouse)
    -Maaaaybe minerals or ores, (like amethyst, opal, iron, etc) but those should probably be pretty expensive.
    This system is prettyyyy complicated and I'm honestly not sure how possible it is, other than adding a custom shop with literally every item that falls into one of those groups. But it would definitely be really, really cool.

Anyways, that's all the ideas I had regarding this subject. Thoughts? I'm not sure how possible these are with current API's and what not, but these ideas could be cool somewhere down the road.

EDIT: Looks like someone actually made number 2 like an hour before this suggestion was posted.

Last edited: May 1, 2016