Spouse Perks

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MoonEcho, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MoonEcho

MoonEcho Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello! Really loving the new update to the new spouse dialogues - it's so fun seeing Sebastian back to his old self! Now that I'm all spoiled on how special my husband is, I was thinking: in the same vein of showcasing how unique the different marriage candidates are - you know what might also be neat? If different spouses utilized their different talents for us, such as:

Maru/Sebastian: use their gadgetry/mechanical skill/programming ability to improve the range on the sprinklers. Or, made crafting more efficient, perhaps?

Penny/Elliot: Being so well-read, they both know enough about local history to increase your drop rate of rare artifacts

Harvey: Increases your maximum health, or reduces the rate at which you energy depletes

Leah: Creates unique furniture/decor for your house

Penny: Unlocks access to unique boots, hats, and rings, or allows you to change your shirt/pants without paying the wizard

Alex: Puts all his muscles to work by gathering up all dropped animal items every morning

Sam/Abigail: I dunno, increases your luck?

I'm sure there could be better ones than these. What does anyone else think?

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

I'm against this, personally. The reason for this is simple...it'd make people go after the person with the perk they like best, instead of going after the person they want to go after.

That said...having Maru be able to make you a robot for your farm would be great. It could just not cost any gold for it if you're married (though still materials and stuff), and cost gold+materials if you're not married (it could be more EFFICIENT if you're married maybe, but...yeah..).

Basically, the ideas themselves aren't bad...but having it be 'spouse locked' would make it so that people pick spouses based on the perk and not who they want.

The better option for a "perk" system, would be "relationship perks"...where getting people to 10 hearts would open up new scenes where if you play your cards right with them, you can get a perk/buff sort of thing. This could include a movement speed increase, mining power increase, increased geode drop rate, more coal, etc.

Something similar to this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I think this would be great as well.

However, there'd need to be a "friendship" item that you can hand people at 6 hearts to make sure that you don't enter the "romance" mode for them for the bachelors and bachelorettes (though you CAN still romance them, it's just...you can get to 10 hearts w/o doing so, and the 8/10 heart scenes would be different...until you hand them a bouquet and can view THOSE scenes as well). I absolutely refuse to hand bouquets to the bachelors, heh. I don't swing that way. A way to get them to 10 hearts w/o romancing them would be great. Perks for getting them to 10 hearts and going through the "special" scene sequence(s) properly would be great as well. ^^

Just...don't make it a "spouse" perk, imo. ^^

• MoonEcho

Mm, I see. Honestly, I think so long as the perks were kept small and balanced; there's not a huge threat of people picking spouses strictly for them. People who play for story/dialogue would probably go with the character they like best regardless - I'm certain I'd still pick Sebastian, for example, even if I thought his perk was the crappiest.

But you do have a point - I guess the perks could be something your spouse offers you for free, but are also accessible from maxed out friends for a fee or with some restrictions/inconvenience.

I'm with you also on not giving bouquets to max friendships, but I think that's another subject all on its own!

• mormszzz

mormszzz Void-Bound Voyager

love the idea but Penny/Elliot perk is useless in the late game
          even now Peny is not a good wifu :(

No one even now is commenting about my devorce idea or my other :( they think im a Fool

• Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

I like this idea. The definition of a perk is a bonus that comes with the territory. If someone wants a perk so badly as to forego their heart's desire, well they weren't all that into him/her to begin with. Provided that, as you said, the perks are well-designed (accomplished via trial and playtesting) then there should be no major issues.

• PerkulatorBenny

PerkulatorBenny Orbital Explorer

CA has said that he won't do any marriage perks for this exact reason.

• Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

I still haven't completed the artifacts yet despite being in the third year, so any increase drop rate would be appreciated actually.

• MoonEcho

Oh, did CA already address this? Shoot! I guess the idea's DOA.

S'OK, though; the ability to smooch Sebastian every morning is the only perk I truly needed. <3

mormszzz likes this.
                  • PerkulatorBenny

PerkulatorBenny Orbital Explorer

Yeah, I think it was on twitter or something that he said he wanted people to follow their hearts, not marry because of the perks.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

What about "Friendship" perks, though?

I mean, marriage perks I'm with CA on...but "Friendship" perks where getting them to 10 hearts and then being able to go through scenes/dialogues with the character where you can potentially get a perk that boosts some aspect of the game would be nice.

Of course, this would require a "Friendship" item as I said before, for the other bachelors and bachelorettes.

The perk could be anything from a special item, special action (Emily and special clothing design shop that was mentioned in another thread, for example), or special boost to stats (higher luck, more coal dropping, higher artifact drop rate, higher treasure chest appearance rate, etc...things like that).

I'm pretty sure I could go through and make a list of potential perks for every single character, if someone wanted me to, heh.

• mormszzz

mormszzz Void-Bound Voyager

true but ween u completed it what now ?