Spouse jealousy differs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michelrpg, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I kind of agree with this. In my first save, Haley would never worry if I gifted anyone, unless it was Penny. She would ALWAYS bring that up, but never anyone else.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Haley's feeling threatened by the most boring (to me) bachelorette? Interesting... I would think she'd feel more threatened by Abby or Maru (adventurous for Abby and science interest for Maru) than Penny.

Haven't tested this yet, but does the spouse get angry if you gift someone something on their birthday?

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

That got patched with 1.1 I believe. I've been able to gift everyone on their birthday without any problems.

• Stryder87

There's definitely a randomness to all this. I'm married to Maru on two different saves; the first save she's totally zen with all the gifting stuff, on the second, not so much, and she's much more a complainer. So far, on the second save, she complains most about Emily gifts, and in one season she twice complained about a messy house, even though my layout and chest are pretty much the same as the other save where she's my waifu. It makes me feel rather guilty... I look around the house and think, "But babe, everything is in such a logical, organized place! You should be able to appreciate that!" haha

• LuthienNightwolf

On an old save, I had Seb complain about the messy house literally the minute he walked through the door, and all he had "bumped" into was me. Its something with their pathing ai, if they think something is in their way, it translates to a messy house, even if you have an empty or well-organized setup.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Seb bumps into the love of his life, "Your place is a mess!!" Uh huh, one more reason to dislike emo Seb (I realize it probably would happen with anyone, but I kind of doubt Abby would say this)

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Maybe, maybe not. I HAVE had her getting depressed despite constant attention and her being the only one besides our kids I give it to. She started off strong too, guess she's bored of me or something. If she was know to have depression canon wise and not just RNG-bs'ery it'd be one thing, but it's RNG-bs'ery and all my spouses seem to get hit with it in the form of it.

Shane, of all them, does the most for me. And that's just sad...

• LuthienNightwolf

I could never dislike Seb, sorry. haha But I also don't see him as "emo", just introverted and a bit over-dramatic about family problems at times.

It really is RNG though, like Chaos said up there...it has nothing to do with which spouse you marry, or their personality, or anything else you've done as the player, unless you're ignoring them. If you are gifting, kissing and talking to your spouse at least once daily, you *should* be able to keep them at 13 hearts 99% of the time. They do occasionally drop hearts for no apparent reason, but again, this seems to be random and I don't think it has anything to do with the specific character. Gifting other singles on a day other than that person's birthday *can* upset any spouse.

• Stryder87

I suspect this as I had Maru at 13 hearts and she dropped to 11 after I had gifted about 3 singles in one day.

Yeah, that's what happened with Maru. She was coming home from town and I was heading out and she ran into me just as she came in the door. "The place is a mess" happened.

• CartonCruncher

CartonCruncher Void-Bound Voyager

I'm married to Penny, and she never gets jealous, has never changed the wallpaper or spent a day in bed, and hasn't ever complained about the mess. She does make breakfast every once in a while, and she's watered the dog and fed the animals and repaired fences once or twice. I think it might have something to do with how happy they are, I'm pretty much able to keep Penny at full hearts constantly bc I have a crystallarium (is that how you spell it?) with a diamond in it, so every time I get a diamond I check and see if she's lower than full hearts, and if she is I give it to her.

• ChaosAzeroth

I gift Abigail every day and ignore everyone else but our kids and she still hardly does anything and has the depressed lay in bed days rarely, as well as a few random affection drops.

• LuthienNightwolf

I gift, kiss and talk to my spouses multiple times daily and they still sometimes pull weird behavior. Keeping them at full hearts is really rather easy as long as you give them some attention every day, but it can't always stop RNG from causing mischief.

MouseyPounds and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                          • MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

In my current playthrough my farmer is married to Abigail, and I decided to try this weird experiment to reach 10 hearts with all the other singles without giving them bouquets. It involves using the slingshot to knock them just under 8 hearts and then giving them a loved birthday gift and a second gift the same week. Abby is apparently not fond of my nonsense because the non-birthday gifts have caused me to run into the jealousy mechanic for the first time in my Stardew gameplay. Things which I have discovered from peeking behind the curtain:
                            1. A jealousy reaction is a 30% chance on any non-birthday gift to a "dateable" NPC who is the same gender as your spouse.
                            2. Daily luck has a significant effect (the +/- 10% is combined with the base chance so the range is really 20-40%).
                            3. Luck skill level has a minimal effect (1% per point.) Thus eating a lucky lunch before gifting would only drop the chance by 3%.
                            4. The jealousy reaction is only a 30-point friendship drop so it is trivial to offset with a liked/loved gift to your spouse. At least from a non-role-play standpoint, it would only be a concern if you are mass gifting everybody.
                            I am so far 0 for 2 in getting away with it as Abby questioned me about gifts to both Haley & Emily despite both being on good luck days. Leah was already at a stealth 10 hearts by accident (a situation which prompted the whole experiment) so there will be two more "research opportunities" with Maru & Penny later in the year.

I haven't yet found the logic controlling the mysterious drops to 11 hearts (or the "house is a mess" pathfinding details if that is different), but I've had that pop up twice so far on this save too. Much like Luthien, I make sure my farmers are always very attentive to their spouses so that is pretty easy to recover from as well, especially since I have a crystalarium churning out amethysts in a corner of Abby's room and two dozen pumpkins constantly growing in the greenhouse. ;)

wronghandle and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                            • LuthienNightwolf

On my last save, Seb spent the day after (or the day of, depending on how you see it) our wedding in bed. The honeymoon was either really good or really bad. lol

He was totally fine the next day though, I guess he just needed to pout for a while. >u<

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Your wedding was so wonderful, Luthien, it overwhelmed Seb and he couldn't respond properly, needing a day to recover! (Come to think of it, a friend said she needed a day to recover from her wedding, because even though the wedding was wonderful, it way drained both her and her husband)

Something I was curious on, does jealousy happen with only the datable people, or is it jealousy regardless of who it is? Think it would be weird to have Maru fly into a jealous rage because I gave her mother a gift...

• LuthienNightwolf

Just other singles that are the same gender as your spouse, according to what mouseypounds said up there.

Seb was probably just overwhelmed when he realized his new wife was the slime goddess. :rofl:

MouseyPounds likes this.
                                  • InquisitiveSoul

InquisitiveSoul Scruffy Nerf-Herder

On my first save, I am on year 9, had married Abigail back in year 2 and I have never observed her complaining about a messy home.. She HAS gotten jealous a grand total of 3 times in that entire gift-giving span however. I like to imagine the conversation going like this

Abigail: "So... I heard you secretly gave Leah a gift today."
                                    Abigail: "Do I have to be suspicious of you?"
                                    Zek: "Well I am not surprised, considering I gave Leah a salad in front of four other people in Mom and Dad's shop. Sweetheart, if this is a shot at trying to be adorably cute.. you are missing the target by a pretty big margin. If you are being dead serious, then by all means please feel free to stop."
                                    Abigail: "..."
                                    Zek: "Look, I married you when things were just getting started because I fell in love with you and I still am hopelessly in love with you. We've put about seven years under our belts together, we've created a farm that has lead us to be worth in excess of eighty-eight million, we're the proud parents of kids that have been toddlers for the past six years, we have have a meteorite in our front yard we named Chuck, we raise demon chickens and dinosaurs, we make and bottle wine using fruit that last grew wild when the dinosaurs we now raise were able to wander around wild.
                                    Zek: "Furthermore, we are in finest standings with everyone, we make music together, you give me good-morning kisses like a mother-floogin' champ and I watch you eat Amethyst! Why in the hell would I want to change any of this??"
                                    Abigail: "But.. you gave Leah a gift.."
                                    Zek: "DEEMUN CHIKKENZ 'N DINO-SAWERS. WE RAISE THEM. WE HAVE A CHUCK. HE SCARED YOU SO BADLY WHEN HE MADE LANDFALL YOU FARTED LOUD ENOUGH TO SCARE THE CAT AND IT SMELLED LIKE AMETHYST. WHY WOULD I WANT TO ALTER A SMIDGEN OF THIS UNPRECEDENTED AWESOME?"
                                    Abigial: "So.. I don't have to be suspicious?"
                                    Zek: "Newp. I love you. Now if you don't mind my sweet Thunderbuns, I have to feed the chickerdoodles. They have that look in their eyes. You know the one.. The look that puts the mailman off his porridge and he stops delivering mail for the next week."

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
                                      LordBlumiere and Stryder87 like this.
                                    • MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

BTW, if anyone was curious, the "likeability" of the gift doesn't matter. I gave Maru a jar of honey (which she hates) to help push her below 8 hearts and Abby still got annoyed at me. I like to pretend that she was disappointed in me for being mean rather than being jealous on that one.

wronghandle and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                                      • ScarletAurora

ScarletAurora Poptop Tamer

I've been married to Shane for just a little time now and he's been jealous two times already, both because I gave Sebastian gifts. Last time he complained, he was standing in a corner on the kitchen at night, and apparently was so upset that he just stood there in the dark. I waited until 2AM for him to come to bed. He never came.
                                        Next morning he was there on the kitchen, saying he's sorry if he smells, cause he's been sweating all night because of the heat. Eew. Just take a bath Shane and don't sleep on the kitchen anymore. I bet Sebastian would never!!

MasterYoba likes this.
                                        • ChaosAzeroth

You're just giving him a reason to be jealous there.X3