1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Spike Sphere tech + run boosts = broken

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by noobsqoou, Mar 12, 2017.

1. noobsqoou

noobsqoou Big Damn Hero

It seems that whenever I use the Spike Sphere while under the influence of a run boost (be it a status effect or an augment), any convex change in terrain direction will cause the sphere to lose its grip. (All concave changes are fine.) These first ones listed below aren't too big of a deal, as I just hop a small distance and then land on the ground and continue going:
    • from walls up to sloped floors (135°)
    • from sloped floors up to flat floors (135°)
    • from flat floors down to sloped floors (135°)
    • from sloped floors down to walls (135°)
    • from walls up to flat floors (270°)
    However, the following transitions usually send me falling to my doom:
    • from walls down to sloped ceilings (135°)
    • from sloped ceilings down to flat ceilings (135°)
    • from flat ceilings up to sloped ceilings (135°)
    • from sloped ceilings up to walls (135°)
    • from flat floors down to walls (270°)
    • from walls down to flat ceilings (270°)
    • from flat ceilings up to walls (270°)
    NOTE: the angles listed are measured from surface to surface through the empty space, not through the blocks.

greenRAM likes this.
  2. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

Increasing the Spike Sphere speed also creates this problem. The faster the speed, the more it can't handle transitions like these. I'd love to find a solution to this so that we can create some upgraded versions of the spike sphere.

I don't know much about coding, but would adding something like this to the "spikesphere.lua" file help?:

if groundDirection then
    if not self.headingAngle then
    self.headingAngle = (math.atan(groundDirection[2], groundDirection[1]) + math.pi / 2) % (math.pi * 2)
    --this is what I added--
    if self.headingAngle > 160 and self.headingAngle < 20 then self.ballSpeed = 11
    else if self.headingAngle > -160 and self.headingAngle < -20 then self.ballSpeed = 11
    else self.ballSpeed = config.getParameter("ballSpeed") end
    --this is what I added--

edit: Didn't work. Anyone out there that's more of a coder have any suggestions or ideas for fixing this?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017