1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Speculations

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Starheaven07, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

This thread is a place to post/talk about anything you have thought of about the game that hasn't really been answered or explained yet. For example:

-How are the coordinates going to be arranged? X/Y/Z? 123.4567 x 543.2192? Just a string of numbers n long? It would be nice to know this before release so we could start thinking up coordinates we would like to try out.
    -To get to planets, do you have to put in a specific coordinate, or could there be a "random" button? Considering each planet is random already it wouldn't change much, but some people would have trouble coming up with random ones.
    -If you view coordinates while on a planet, where would they be displayed? Maybe on some kind of communicator or Star GPS... is that what the gameboy is?
    -Can your character be located in multiplayer by planet coordinates? Could people go to Your Planet without permission, or would shuttles there be restricted to yours only?
    -How the hell do you get mechs down to these planets, anyway? In the same shuttle as you? how many people or things can fit in these shuttles!? Do you carry your samples on your person or is there a finite amount of shuttle room you can put them into?
    -Could you blow up someone else's planet? Why would you do such a mean thing outside of PvP, you jerk? It's like lining someone's castle with TNT in Minecraft, and setting it to blow!
    -Is the space station completely shared space, or will there be a room for individual-specific things?

Post below if you have such thought-provoking questions, or if you have speculation on anyone else's.

2. Offline

Offline Astral Cartographer

Since no one including myself has spewed any questions out, I'll speculate what I can about your questions/concerns.

1) I'm pretty sure the coords will be x/y/z, and anyway, it HAS to be 3 coords. Planets in the universe could be aligned with another planet 523992835 light years away, and without /z, they would have, well, merged. About being prepared, just think of any forms of coords you can, and think for some for each.

2) This is more a question for the Devs, but "starting a journey" I'm sure would land you on a random planet from the beginning.

3) It very well could be. There's a monster log for types of monsters, in the top right or left it could tell you the name and coords of the planet. I like it.

4) I'm pretty sure a person can edit xxxx by xxxx in their own game, client sided. When someone else in singleplayer went to that planet, it would be anew. No one knows about multiplayer, not even Tiy, so I can't answer.

5) The spaceships are MASSIVE, or so the Devs have said. Yes, all Mechs will be carried on them.
    Both, you have inventory space, so there needs to be a place to store you stuff.

6) I think that would be a set-up thing, also only available in singleplayer.

7) If you look at the picture of the spaceship with most of the NPCs on it, you'll see that's all in one room. But there is more than one room in the spaceship you get.

These are my thoughts on these matters ;)

3. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Would it be safe to assume that the amount of mechs you can bring with you is limited, then? It wouldn't be fun if everyone was running around in a giant suit of robotech (as a normal thing)

4. Jenkinz

Jenkinz Phantasmal Quasar

I want to know how in-depth the customization goes ^_^

5. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think they'll have something like a list of planets traveled to. At the top could be "Mission Planets", which would have mission related planets, the more important ones probably named. Then, below that could be a favorite list with the player's home planet at the top of it, and if it were to be possible to give a name to a planet, then have that option there perhaps? And then, below that list, a spot for recently visited planets with a box to enter in coordinates and a button to find a random planet... I think that would be a nice way to do it.

6. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Bookmarked Planets could easily fall in there somewhere with recently visited

7. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yup. Though, I was thinking that bookmarked planets could be under the home planet in the favorites list. So, alternately it could be the bookmarked list instead of the favorite list.

8. Offline

Offline Astral Cartographer

It could go both ways. Limited or not, Mechs are still limited. You can probably run, jump and attack, ranged and/or melee. ... But that's it. You can't dig, do the whatever ritual it is to tame a monster, probably interact with NPCs, and more importantly use more weapons. You'll probably just spend your time out of mech unless you need to get somewhere quick.

9. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Not me, it's my duty to constantly be inside of a mech doing something or other

10. Arroz2003

Arroz2003 Void-Bound Voyager

What do you guys speculate for the amount of time gathering resources for:
    -Making mechs
    -Completing you ship/station
    -have the best weapons
    -Have a homeworld with all buildings unlocked
    -Total time for all these together

Starheaven07 likes this.
  11. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

They are using the Star Trek coordinate system, I'm sure.

Novate and Starheaven07 like this.
  12. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

oh god I hope so
    that would be cool as anything

13. ProtoGene

ProtoGene Void-Bound Voyager

If ship size was ever an issue, we could think there would be some space delivery system that is directly linked to the main ship.
    Mechs could easily be dropped from the mother-ship, with a pod to protect it from damaging.

I really hope not. Well, if the online system doesn't work like i think it would.

14. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

Mushroomduckmen will be a playable race.

15. Kohjix

Kohjix Star Wrangler

I would say the weapon generation.
    Think of Borderlands for a moment, (If you haven't played it, they had over a billion weapon possibilities) They had to 3D render the weaponry for the game, which in itself took quite a long time and it gave us a BUNCH of guns... Without 3D rendering for Starbound, I'm quite curious as to what they will give us, or how large the weapon generation is...

16. Seahorse

Seahorse Zeromus

Not sure about co ords system. It was stated that you access planets through a star map, so just click a planet and fly away. As for first planet you go to, since you start on the space station first I would say you find a map or something like that which has some planet "co ords" and unlocks it on your galaxy/star map.

The transporting mechs etc is a tricky one. One would assume there would be a way to shuttle them down of sorts, but how big of a ship etc is a different question all together. Maybe you might just choose 1 vehicle to take to planet and that's it, or maybe you can get bigger shuttles and transport more goods...

I'm really interested in the building procedure... It was stated that you will gain schematics for vehicles etc (i think structures too) so that it's kind of like how a RTS game builds a structure. Once you have the materials you click, then designate a spot to construct it and BAM! Devs also said there will also be 1x1 block building just like Terraria too.

17. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

But you also have to remember that Borderlands was a mainstream title by a major company, not an indie game that is being worked on by a handful of people. They probably had a lot more people working on the random weapons than Starbound does.

18. Kohjix

Kohjix Star Wrangler

Right, but the compensation of the games graphics is fairly large. You are right though. I'm still wondering how vast this weapon size would be.

19. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

There are going to apparently be 21K different ways a rocket launcher can LOOK, minus the traits that can come with it, so you don't have to worry about weapon randomness that much :rofl:

Kohjix likes this.
  20. Kohjix

Kohjix Star Wrangler

Hm, that leads me to wonder about what weapon types there will be...
    Thanks for that information though! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.