1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Species colors - "Why are Floran ship objects pink and purple?"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Guest0241525, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

A while ago, this was posted on the dev blog:

[​IMG]
    It all looks cool, with each color corresponding to the race - it matches with SAIL colors as well.

[​IMG]
    Still I feel humans suffer from this. There are currently no yellow elements in their design aside from the new SAIL and beaming sprites - which strangely contrasts with the light blue/red/gray color scheme that humans have used so far. Wouldn't it be better if their SAIL was the same color as it always was, and teleportation color changed to blue as well? It's definitely a better look on them, so why pick something completely unrelated to their color scheme? Nevermind, it makes sense now that I know the colors are related to the story. Nonetheless, it would be nice to see a Protectorate ship amongst the ship choices.

That being said, there is even an older example of such contrast: Floran ships.

[​IMG]
    All here seems alright - salvaged technology, a bit rusted and overgrown with vines - aside from an Avian add-on standing out like a sore thumb, the main colors are brown and green. Then there's their ship equipment.

[​IMG]

Pink and... purple? I'm not sure why their ship equipment would look like that. I believe it was designed for the old Floran ship and then just stuck...?

Details like continue to feel odd on me - not sure if anyone else feels this way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017
    Jerln, Lindazana, neotask and 2 others like this.
  2. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

What's the last race over there? Looks amazing.

I like yellow in general, but i see your point.

I'd recommend a gray~ish white, because all the other significant colors are taken already and humans were the idea that all races got designed from, like a blank piece of paper.

Axe Garian and Sageheart like this.
  3. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

The last one is a good old Floran.
    Actually, most of the shared technology bits are stolen recycled from Apex designs. All high-tech stuff seems to follow the Apex stylistic, in fact. Or maybe it's the other way around, and it's just Apex ship that fits with it the best?

[​IMG]

Here are some older ship designs - which is where my speculation regarding Floran ship things came from.

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

I'd recommend to swap it with the color used by Avians because the latter DO get a yellow scheme, or simply use a bright blue scheme.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Another Kevin

That Armor confused me.

Sad, i was hoping for a race with horns .. :lickitung:

CorraidhĂ­n and Axe Garian like this.
  6. Sageheart

Sageheart Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would prefer being able to pick the color through SAIL. A customization tab for that and sail's appearance.

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. Eridan Ampora

Eridan Ampora Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree with most of the colors being a little... weird. Novakid's color in nightly seems to be pink? If they really wanted to keep the Floran ship-tech stuff, as you mentioned, pink, wouldn't it make sense for the Floran's beam to be pink? I don't know, maybe that's just me.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel the same way. ;)
    Especially the colorsheme for the Floran ship equipment simply doesn't match the rest of the ship.
    I've tried several combinations with equipment from all other races and the best fit simply is the Glitch equipment, because the colors are repeated all over the ship.
    Ship_front.png

As can be clearly seen: A coppersheme fits way better, because the colors are present already.

Axe Garian and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
  9. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I know one could point out that it can be any color really, but maybe it is to have a blossom color. Basically a flowering color, so yes the pink/purple does make sense; at least to me. The beam makes sense to be green due to it being representative of plant-race.

To the copper bit, that to me doesn't look pleasant, and reminds me of rust. Seems fitting for glitch, as they are a mechanical race, but for floran that might be a bit much. Plus if that were the case it would make the glitch less different in their equipment and too similar in color. Floran would be a mix of different races granted, but with their own flare.

I think the red beam-down suits the avian due to their crystal drives. That is usually red.

Now that I look at it the only beam-downs that seem too similar are the apex & Hylotl. Both are blue hue. Granted a subtle gradient, but pretty close in color. Quite difficult to get ones of different colors for each race. I don't mind the beam-down as it is. Humans make sense due to the sun's color of their system being yellow-ish mostly.

I haven't played too much of the nightly, and didn't really notice the color scheme of the equipment. Mainly I am guessing it is just something minor, as in only a small tiny bit of the whole thing. Sail is not pink-purple. It is green. The pink-purple isn't too distracting as it does remind me of those lights that help plants grow. The ultra-violet light things, just so they have artificial lighting. At least a variety that I have seen. In a way that seems to be a decent contrast.

Although as someone mentioned, it would be nice for the players to choose eventually which to have. I probably can only see certain things like ship choice being after 1.0, as stated by Tiy I think in an AMA. Some other choices, whom is to say, but is a nice thought.

I for one as implied don't mind the color scheme, due to it making sense to me. :nuruhappy:

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Most of these explanations feel forced, especially the Floran one.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
  11. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well the same could be said of quite a few things in the game. This even includes many of the other factions color schemes they have. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are meaning by forced.

To me it doesn't feel that way, but that is me...

MysticMalevolence and Axe Garian like this.
  12. Jandroan

Jandroan Subatomic Cosmonaut

As far as I can see, human's beam colors are yellow since the signifying color of the protectorate is gold/yellow. also I see these colors as the best fit for now as they stick to the primary colors, with light blue and pink being the only exceptions. while light blue would fit well with the humans, it fits better with the apex, and two light blues would reduce variety. additionally, while I liked the novakid's old orangy-yellow more than pink, it was a little too similar to the glitch. besides, maybe it's just me, but i think pink fits really well for "intergalactic-gas-bag-people".

13. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

But the Protectorate has members from other species.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Yeah, that's part of the reason I can't take that explanation - while the Protectorate does have its headquarters on Earth and is an organization founded by humans, all player characters are Protectorate members, regardless of whether they're human or not.

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Jandroan

Jandroan Subatomic Cosmonaut

You make an excellent point, after reexamination i have come to a conclusion for alternative colors based solely of the tech of the ships

Human: dark blue
    Apex: light blue
    Hylotl: green
    Floran: purple
    Avian: red
    Glitch: orange
    Novakid: yellow

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

I still don't think Florans should have purple techs - but otherwise, I do agree these colors seem fine. I wouldn't mind if Floran ship equipment was recolored to match the rest of the ship.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017
  17. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

ok... then who would get that purple pink color for their equipment then?

Don't mind a unison color throughout, but to me sometimes unison color can be pretty bland.

Why Hylotl green? They actually make sense as blue... What would be the difference then if green?

I think their should be differences so there is more reason to snag the others' equipment for decor. Or just mod it.... ><

18. Another Kevin

What if we just change the beam's shape? The hylotl beam is blue, but it looks like a splash of water for example?

19. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

No one, it should be scrapped. Florans should have brown/green color scheme, just as their ship currently is.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
    ZeusKCDC and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
  20. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

sooo you want the lights to be pukey in the toilet color for the lights?

The ship itself, is a little of this and a little of that. After all it is combining many different things into one. So it effectively has the rainbow pallete of what the others have.

You don't like the purple pink for lights? I actually do like them myself. If no one is to have that color... then I'll have to mod it in, assuming I can save the assets. That is assuming it will be changed. I think the lights should stand out, not blend in... Otherwise eye trickery would not even not a device there.... There has to be a contrast somewhere. At least in my opinion. Green lights would be fine.

The bit you mention afterwards... I'd rather have what we have now, and then later have ability to change it. In other words have a default for each species, and then have place or UI or something that could be made so we could change/interchange between the colors.

As far as different ship thing goes that would be something for after the 1.0, or well was mentioned that way. Something to look into after... Who knows, maybe even the color change system might be the same way, and be only thought to be a thing after 1.0. There is a lot of progress already. I actually like that purple/pink lights, as it stands out. At least the AI is green. :nurutease: