Space Racing?

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Ginganx, May 13, 2013.

?

Would you like to see something like this implemented in the game?

1. Sure, why not!

40.0%
  2. Eh. I don't care much for it.

37.1%
  3. WHAT GARBAGE IS THIS?!

22.9%
  1. Ginganx

Ginganx Star Wrangler

An idea over here. :iswydt: I'm fairly new to these Forums, so forgive me if this has been announced somewhere prior to this post.

Well, I was thinking of the LEGO StarWars videogame today, more specifically the Pod-race stage. I came to the SB Forums this evening and got to thinking of how great it would be (if possible) to have a racing feature in the game. Surely you could start out with a small, dinky rocket, and maybe with currency buy better parts somewhere made special for your racing-ship. Maybe even have tournement-type games where you can bet and race against others for cash. I can also see plenty of achievements and things come out of this. I don't know if it would be made through the Devs or somehow made by a player, but I would be really happy to see something like this, as it would be a great thing to pass time. :DD

What do you guys think? I'd be glad to hear opinions on something like this. POST POST POST

EDIT: Just noticed I posted this in the wrong Forum section.:facepalm: Whups... :(

2. NIN3

NIN3 Pangalactic Porcupine

I honestly don't think it will fit very well. Also, I'm most likly to pick the funniest poll option, don't mind my rude vote :D

Its a 2D game, so racing would be very hard going side to side, and its a load of programming to make it go 3D. Im sure with enough time and effort, some one will build a race track for mechs though.

3. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Personally I don't care much for this. That being said, it could also be amazing if they implement it right! I think this should be low on the priority scale, and be a post-release feature if they decide to do it, however it could be good fun too!

Ginganx likes this.
  4. Ginganx

Ginganx Star Wrangler

I don't mind disagreements. I gladly accept anyone's thoughts. :)
    I was thinking more along the lines of a 2D plane with the racing-ships layered on-top of each other sort of like how Dino Run is laid out. But yes, a 3D-job would be much too tedious.

5. Silly

Silly Sandwich Man

Well it could be just another fun feature added to the game. Even though there's a lot of content already implemented and planned release and post-release, having a racing-type feature could be pretty nifty. I know I wouldn't use it all that much early-game, but maybe late-game when I have extra hover boards and mechs, having a racing feature could be fun with my friends when we want to take a break from exploration or combat.

Though as stated before, it would be cool to have but it would have to be a low-priority post-release feature or mod since there's more important things to be added first.

Nice idea! :up:

6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

No, it doesn't really appeal.

7. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

The sole interest of the CIVILIZED peoples should be the scientific advancement of the galaxy and its union beneath my rule.
    Anything else is just a distraction from the ultimate good of our society.

8. j01

j01 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How about just having expanded space travel mechanics that naturally lend to the possibility of racing as an unintended result?

I don't care about racing, but I wouldn't mind if the game physics were expansive enough that players could find activities like this and set up their own creative methods of doing it.

A step in this direction would be as simple as letting us manually drive our ships in space, with thrust and maneuverability a function of the quality of the ship's materials/fuel/etc.. The next step would be allowing buildings in space (for glowing distance markers), and finally radar indicators of other players' ships' locations relative to your own.

These features would allow racing, but would also open up an entire universe of extra gameplay possibilities just by virtue of their existence.

A good sandbox game has a lot of extra mini games and features, but a GREAT sandbox game is one that has such robust mechanics that players can invent their own fun activities that were either not, or minimally officially designed towards.

9. The closest thing I could foresee being "race" like would be a kind of scavenger hunt. Before hand, a player or dev or player in director mode could scout out some planets in a limited quadrant and leave some hints or clues towards the next destination and at the final planet have a chest or something containing the winnings. First person to find it wins.

10. hirakhos

hirakhos Phantasmal Quasar

Racing in 2d? Eh, all you could really do is dodge, unless it was top down, then it just wouldn't fit in.

11. thefirecrack3r

thefirecrack3r Subatomic Cosmonaut

I can't remember which game I had, but there was a 2D kirby game that had a racing minigame in it. It worked by accelerating/decelerating at the right time. You were grinding on a rail on a little star, and when spikes showed up on the path, you'd let off the accelerate, which let you stop grinding and gently glide over the spikes, hitting the spikes drastically slowed you down, practically stopping you. You'd win by timing it the best, decelerating early would lose you some speed, too late and the spikes get you. perfect timing won you the race. It was a MEH minigame. But if your hearts set on a 2D race game its all I got. and Accelerate/decelerate timing based race.

12. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

I hate racing. So much.

It really is a matter of taste; a lot of people like it, a lot of people hate it. Some people will be somewhat happy if they somehow implemented it, others would be annoyed.

13. DerJonason

DerJonason Big Damn Hero

People will find ways to make up their own racing games. Maybe not with your spaceship... but they already said they're going to add planetary vehicles. Maybe you can do "ground" races easily.