1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Something all players should read(On "Entitlement").

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ludovic, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

To all the folks who believes the game is an ultimate failure because the earliest of it's three phases of beta is utter garbages in their eyes...

I'd like you to read this, and think before you post:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-awful...age&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Have you read it? If not, then read it. If yes, then read on:

Starbound is in beta.
    Specifically, it's in the first phase of a -three- phases beta.
    The devs warned you this phase would be bare in content, possibly technically clunky. That it would be buggy and crash. And you pre-ordered the game knowing it would be such. Having been warned it would be such.

The devs, before they announced the betas actually were hesitant to have a public beta. Because they stated they didn't want players who would come to a beta expecting a complete experience and raging because it wasn't.

And this is exactly what's happening right now, as I'm seeing more and more players who, in their "entitlement", feels entitle to curses at the devs and slander them because the beta didn't meet -their- expectation of what it should be like despite, very often, having no ideas of the difficulties of game development.

I see often comparisons with Terraria... comparisons which in my eyes are unfair because they compare Starbound not to the Terraria that was back when Terraria had just been released, but to the Terraria that is and had years of post-release content developped for it.

Because if they had stopped a little moment, to look at the Terraria-that-was, they might realizes that in the end the difference between Starbound and it aren't so huge. And in fact, Starbound already has many systems(hunger, warmth, planets travels, farming) that Terraria still lacks in some case.

And Starbound is still in the first phase of three of a beta.

Which means it has even -more- coming.

Take a moment to take a break from the game and your rage, folks, and put things in perspectives. And yes, to the point of sounding trite, realizes that yes, this is a beta.
    Minecraft's original public beta phases had nothing like Starbound already does. Much like people said of Terraria back when Terraria had just been released and were comparing it to Minecraft.

So, folks, chill out. Swallow that entitlement of yours. And give the devs some slack after they worked their ass off trying to bring the game to a stage where you can not only get the very first glimpses of the game-that-will-be through the beta-that-is. And cut down on the personal attacks on the devs.
    There's too many teams with promising projects which shut down due to developper burn out caused by an entitled community.

You're being offered a chance to help shape a game, all for the price of a trio at a cheap restaurant.

Don't deconstruct the works of others because it didn't respond to your entitled vision of things.

Be constructive, and help it become the best game, and the best game community, there will ever be.

2. Kexy Knave

Kexy Knave Cosmic Narwhal

I feel like this should be stickied and fed to all new forum accounts before they're confirmed.. There is so much rage n' stuff..

steveman0 and mangycheif like this.
  3. Tarkinor

Tarkinor Subatomic Cosmonaut

So much agreement with this. Personally, I just ignore all those ragey threads now because I've heard it all, and the devs should too. They're entitled idiots who don't even understand what they're playing.

4. Terashi

Terashi Pangalactic Porcupine

Seconded. Let's make this happen.

Kexy Knave likes this.
  5. DannyMaku

DannyMaku Subatomic Cosmonaut

Third'd. Do it. Do it now.

6. BlaXun

BlaXun Pangalactic Porcupine

No, lets not make this happen.
    If you feel offended by such posts then ignore em.
    The devs might find them helpful.
    Instead, encourace people to post suggestions and negative critics...this will help even more. This just screams "Keep your complaints to yourself"

7. dholedays

dholedays Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This needs to be stickied. People need to understand that this is a REAL beta. Not an "open beta" or "stress test" that other games sometime have, which is equivalent to Starbound's planned late beta.

It bothers me when I see people complaining that the game is unbalanced. You can't balance a game during alpha stage! Or even early beta. There's so many unimplemented features that could possibly change everything, you'd just end up re-balancing later anyways.

enderpony and steveman0 like this.
  8. Aureas

Aureas Big Damn Hero

Love you brah.

There is a huge difference between constructive criticism and bitching. mostly people are bitching.

9. Kexy Knave

There is a big different between freaking out, whining, or complaining
    and constructive critism.

One is hostile or annoying as all hell, and often unbased or heavily opinionated by someone angry.

I feel criticism should be done from a neutral objective point of view, without bashing existing systems saying they are "zomg horrible anad broken." instead state pros/cons of the system in your opinion
    and a possible fix. Not "omg this is broken fix it, do this, this shit's so bad" posts

Shadowsbane and steveman0 like this.
  10. Kate_Micucci

Kate_Micucci Aquatic Astronaut

The devs are willing to take criticism to heart in order to improve their game, as the change to the damage system has shown.

The fanboys should take a lesson from them, grow some thicker skin and stop whining about the "whiners".

11. +1

Threads like this only further divide people and force people to pick a side, everyone should be entitled to an opinion, good or bad.

KevinFragger2427 likes this.
  12. Azerith

Azerith Void-Bound Voyager

There's a difference between "keep your complaints to yourself" and "stop making posts about how broken this game is" complaints are valid yes, but the main issue is not the complaints but what amounts to flame comments directed to DE

Kexy Knave likes this.
  13. BlaXun

Even if people BITCH about something and not provide solutions its still valuable information.
    Its not the players mission to get the perfect game done.
    Yes, its great if you can provide ideas on how to improve stuff, but even a simple "I dont like it" with not suggestions is a indicator that something might just not be right yet.

Edit: I have yet to see a real rage thread. The worst I've seen was a thread that sounded like a threat to demand a refund... that was ONE thread. Others might be whining ...but still...there are valid complaints. We need those.

KevinFragger2427 and DotBeta like this.
  14. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

A lot of that rings true, right up until you asked people to just stop and think logically. Our brains aren't designed for that ;)

No seriously, even the guy in the article said this stuff is basically built into human nature. We can't really just decide to stop and play nice when it comes to stuff we care about.

As unfortunate as it is, we kind of have to accept that people are entitled and accommodate when possible.

KevinFragger2427 and DotBeta like this.
  15. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Subatomic Cosmonaut

I totally agree. But how do you make such a rational thing comt to fruition? +1 Ludovic

16. Xanglaeus

Xanglaeus Space, The Final Frontier

People think the dev's are not working on the game anymore ? :D

It's a beta, and with a lot of update. We have been informed about it.

So be constructive, take it with a smile, report bugs, enjoy the beta :D

And don't worry, be happy :)

17. Mike the Miner

Mike the Miner Void-Bound Voyager

Hey bro; we want people to say, "I think ____ is wrong with the game, and here is why: _____."

We do NOT want people to say "This game is stupid because it isn't perfect and I am comparing it to complete games and even though it is in beta it needs to have everything I want and never crash ever."

Fairawen likes this.
  18. BlaXun

And nobody did that. Show me a single post where people said the game sucked cause it isnt perfect.
    There are threats where they siad they didnt like the game...they posted their reasons. Yes, sometimges these reasons were stupid... but some are valid reasons to not like the game.
    Let the devs decide what to make out of those threads.

KevinFragger2427 likes this.
  19. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Actually despite the fact this is the earliest phase of the beta, a beta the dev had said in the past they were hesitant to make public in the first place because they were afraid of players coming in with false expectation of what a beta is, I have seen more threads than I can count where people called the game a "failure", saying a decision was "stupid"(and thus, a way of implying the devs were stupid themselves),
    talking about how they had people awaiting their "review"(of a game which is not complete yet and still in a "back and forth" phase of development),
    that the game "fails" to succeed(when still in a phase where no game should be expected to).
    And I am not talking about the people who are ranting about the characters wipes(which they were warned about for this stage of beta) and posts in ways as if they could demand devs to change things they can do little about because technical changes to the game's systems -will- make savegames from older versions incompatible with newer versions because the very code the saves depend upon is being changed.

I'm not saying criticism should not be made. What I'm saying is most player should take a pause before they post.
    Asks themselves if what they're about to write is respectful, do not imply developpers are idiots or asses because of a decision they made. How they could improve their criticism with suggestions that could improve the game.
    Asks themselves if it might not have been posted already(I've seen people rant and rave about things the devs had already long aknowledged were issues).
    In short, asks themselves if what they're about to write respond to the standart one should expect in normal social life, rather than "just telling it the way it is" excuses for stuff that is just insulting of a person's integrity, capacities or status as a person.
    In short, asks themselves if it fits with social common sense. Because sometimes, under the excuse of "saying it the way it is", I've seen too many people make disparaging or insulting comments about developpers, as if it wasn't even people they were talking about and as if the fact they were saying this on a forum or internet private message or email somehow made it less insulting. When you call a project a failure, you might think you're saying "It could be good with some improvement" but very much often if will come off as "you failed so you shouldn't bother with this anymore".

As if being a "developper" made the developper slave to the gamer and thus free to be treated any ways the player wanted to when criticizing them.

This is why I'm saying -constructive- criticism is important. Criticism with respects, suggestions or helpful context added(especially in the case of bugs or crashes where reports are useless without the context the bug happened in). And most importantly, criticism without insult, cursing or self-entitled "righteous anger" that too often is directed at the developpers,
    In short, criticism with respect. It's not the end of the world because "feature X" is not the way one wished it to be, and the developpers shouldn't be belittled or insulted because of how a player feel about something.

I mean no offense, but the fact is that gaming is one of the domains whose fans have grown all too expert at killing what they love, and sometimes should take a long good look at their behavior and asks themselves "Would this kind of interaction, wording or behavior be acceptable in real life?"

Seriously, this does not need to become another Terraria with all the nerd rage that happened when Redigit proved to be human and need a break from the guargatuan job that developping a game is, especially with all the nerd rage that was already happening then.

20. Kexy Knave

This guy says what I say, only in more, better words. Kudos.