Someone Needs Some Fresh "wat?" Delivered

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CowsGoM00, Nov 14, 2018.

1. CowsGoM00

CowsGoM00 Subatomic Cosmonaut

upload_2018-11-14_8-17-17.png

I got a blank quest from the billboard. At first I thought it was a glitch from a mod I have. Then I thought it could be leftover text that CA used to test the quest system. OR, someone just really wants some wat? and needs it within two days. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm curious to see if there is a way to trigger its completion.
    (The citizens of Pelican Town must really need their memes).

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

I'm pretty sure I've seen this same type of <bug> posted before and it was due to mod interaction. But I don't have the post(s) to hand. Sorry I'm not much help.

Did you go through the steps to remove your mods and verify that it was not them?

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I've seen it before. Do you still have it in your save? I didn't look at it in the save file when I saw it ingame, and now wish I had... looking to see it again if I get the chance.

• CowsGoM00

I still have it in my save.

I've been sick, so I haven't bothered playing around with my game too much. I did look online and a lot of people with the vanilla game have this quest pop up too. A lot of them think it is just a bug or some code CA used in the game for testing. No one said it messed up their game though, so I'm not too concerned.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2018
          • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

If you could zip the save folder and upload it here I'd love to look at it. This wiki page has info where to find your save files if you don't know where there at. It really isn't that big of a deal. I've seen it twice and I'll almost surely see it again, but very shortly after the last time I saw it, I kicked myself for not looking at what it looked like in the save file.

Yeah, I don't think it's anything to be worried about. It's been seen before and never seemed to cause any problems. It's just confusing wat's really happening.

• CowsGoM00

I made a backup of the file and zipped it. I haven't played too much with it, but I'd be interested to hear if you found anything.

Attached Files:

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Thank you!
                Turns out, if I'm reading it correctly, that the Henchman wants one of item [0], which neither of them actually exist.

I'm going to dig into it further. Might even document it in the wiki if I can actually wrap my head around it.

Thank You, again.

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks MP. I've assumed it was legitimately on the board because after seeing it in the mod I went and looked and it was on the board... but checking the mod puts it on the board. Makes a little more sense now.
                  <long pause>
                  I reverted that save back to the _old files (the day the quest appears). The help wanted board handles the blank objective as a normal "nothing is posted today." It's only after looking at it with UI Info Suite does the board show up empty with an Accept Quest button. So yeah, it is UI Info Suite. Whatever the conditions that make it possible, the game handles it correctly. It's only after UI Info Suite adds the "wat?" that the corrupt quest shows up on the board.

Thanks

• CowsGoM00

Hu? So it was UI Info Suite. There were a lot of people on Reddit saying they didn't have mods, but maybe they forgot. I've had UI Info Suite for a while and I've never seen this before.

• UnexpectedParole

Sadly,

"I don't have a mod" nearly always equals ==

"I am running mods, but none of them deal with [whatever] So I don't think any of them would be causing the problem."
                      That is why we have to ask.

• CowsGoM00

I understand, but I didn't have the time to uninstall my mods and try running it without. I wasn't asking for technical help, I just thought it was amusing.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

And rest assured, in this case, uninstalling mods would have done nothing to change anything. It does appear UI Info Suite injects that "wat? into the game file. Uninstalling mods at that point would have done nothing to change anything. Once it's done, running the game vanilla won't undo it.

Take Care and Have Fun!

• CowsGoM00

I'm sorry, I just thought it was funny. I didn't mean to make you guys feel like you had to work on it.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

No, I didn't feel I had to work on it. I've seen it before and knew it wasn't a real issue. I just wanted to figure out better what was really going on with it. Thanks to MouseyPounds, who's got a pretty good handle on this stuff, I do now understand it better. And thank you again for the save files. The _old files have the issue with the wanted board intact, before UI Info Suite stomps on it, so I've even got something to look at deeper, at my leisure. :D

It's all good. And I don't know if it's funny, but it does make you say "wat?"

• UnexpectedParole

Quite right, and I did not intend to call you out specifically. I never saw you say "I don't have mods" or that " I checked my mods", I was more referring to those folks you quoted on reddit who claimed to not have mods but were having the error. :)

And frankly I'm just happy I 'remembered' this one right that it was mod related.