Some thoughts about NPC mechanics and side quests

Discussion in 'Other' started by BlackDaemon, Aug 20, 2017.

1. BlackDaemon

BlackDaemon Void-Bound Voyager

Hello :) I think, that it would be cool, if game had some RPG-based 'relation' system with NPC's, like it was in "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura". For example, in beginning NPC has neutral attitude to character, but later, after we're done various tasks/quests for him he becomes friendly:
    • he gives more difficult, rewardable quests;
    • he sells items a bit cheaper (5-10%), and sometimes sells some rare items, which in case of neurtal attitude he don't.
    • greeting dialogs also changes to more-friendly.

Basically, we speak about 5 possible attitude states:
    • very good
    • good
    • neutral
    • bad
    • very bad

For example, let's review greeting dialogs with different attitude:
    • good: Hello friend, how are you?
    • neutral: Hello, can i help you?
    • bad: What do you want?
    • very bad: Go away, i don't want to speak with you!

In case with bad/very bad attitude:
    • NPC sells items more expensive (10-20%);
    • sometimes he refuses to give quest, saying something, like "I don't trust this task to you, come back later".

Yet still we have chances to "redeem" doing quests, and making him more friendly.

Maybe, implement relations between races, which also could a slightly affect initial NPC attitude.
    • If relations between races was friendly - increase initial attitude by 5-10%.
    • If relations between races wasn't friendly - decrease initial attitude by 5-10%.

For villages i think there is also possibility for improvements. Let's say, planet with village has "special" quest, which we have to unlock first (earn trust of villagers) doing usual quests.

Some ideas, which comes to mind:
    • Kill some monster "mini-boss"/group of monsters (pests), which troubles village.
    • Get rid of bandits, which raiding village.
    • In case with planets, like desert - help villagers to obtain water.
    • Help with crafting materials, maybe help with finishing buidings.
    • Help with crafting stuff for villangers, like weapons and armour.
    • Help with food, getting some seeds, etc...
    • Change planet biome, in case if village is located in aggressive place, like volcanic.

Thanks for reading, i hope you like, or share some of those ideas ;)

NovaRanger, Avito and Armorine1983 like this.
  2. Avito

Avito Subatomic Cosmonaut

Good idea

BlackDaemon likes this.
  3. NovaRanger

NovaRanger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think this is an awesome idea. I've always wanted a reputation system to be implemented with NPCs so that playing as a "hero" or a "bandit" would feel like it had more of an impact.

I don't know how complex this would be to implement, but it'd be cool if there was also a "universal reputation." For example, if you decided to slaughter a few villages, word would spread to other settlements across the universe of your crimes, causing the NPCs in other settlements to distrust you or even attack you. However, if you did a lot of quests for NPCs, word would spread of your heroic deeds and the NPCs in other settlements will trust you more from the beginning.

If a universal reputation system was put in place, I imagine that it would take a lot more to raise or lower a character's universal reputation than it would to raise or lower a character's NPC reputation. To elaborate, the character would have to do a good amount of quests for multiple NPCs before they see any positive changes in their universal reputation, while on the other side of the coin, they would have to steal a lot of items or kill a lot of NPCs before they see any negative changes in their universal reputation.

BlackDaemon and Avito like this.