Some questions about the wiki

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Faeryheart, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

I started working a litlte on the wiki recently. Mostly small tasks, like correcting/adding location or crafting recipes. Or adding the Removed/Disabled/Unobtainable-Box to pages. But I have a few questions now. I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought making a new thread would be a good idea, since I will probably have more questions later :p

I tried adding the Disabled-Box to some unavailable Vanity sets, but that somehow messed up the numbers in the picture and some red text appeared. Like this: http://starbounder.org/Mutant_Miner's_Set
    I don't really understand why that happened, could someone explain please? I tried multiple times too, but always the same, so I reverted it.

Also, shouldn't there be a page for the removed Frozen Fire Biome? I'm only good at editing little things, so I had no idea how to create one, maybe someone else can do it :p

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Hey, I've seen the edits you've been doing. Great work!

To answer your questions;
    Armor set pages pull armor stats and descriptions from the data namespace. This is an automated section of the site that is updated from game assets with some scripts (you can see this raw data by clicking the itemname link on an article page). Dunto's actually done the bulk of the script development for that automation, he's the man! There's a variety of information that flows from these automated pages; racial descriptions, prices, etc. That page specifically, Mutant miner's set, was actually using an old template called setpiecesmanual when it should have been using setpieces (which is properly configured to pull from these data pages for each of the listed armor set pieces). The red text you were seeing was from calculation errors. The setbox was trying to sum the stats for for armor pieces in 'setpieces', but because that template wasn't being used it was erroring out. I've updated that page to the correct template and the page is fixed now. Let me know if you find any more of those that are broken!

For your second question; the Frozen fire biome was never actually implemented. It was planned at one time and there were a number of objects made for it, but those objects were never implemented in game (or were re-purposed to other biomes). It's confusing since there are wiki pages referencing it (at the time those pages were made was assumed to be developed in the future). Since it was never actually added to the game there shouldn't be a page for it, and probably references to it should be removed.

Keep the questions coming if anything else comes up!!

Faeryheart likes this.
  3. Faeryheart

Thank you very much!

Ugh, sounds complicated, but I think I understood it more or less xD
    Here are some more pages like this:

Oh, really, it was never implemented? I was so sure it was.. But, hmm.. I saw some other pages that show stuff that was never implemented, I feel like there should be a page for this too. Why not just make the page and mention that it was never ingame? But I guess I'll just remove the references to it on other pages for now :p

And I know that I had one more big question, but I can't remember it ._. Oh well..

4. Katzeus

Those should all be fixed up, it was actually a caching issue for those few pages -- just needed an edit/resave to update correctly.
    If it was added to assets but never implemented that's one thing, but I'm reluctant to make a page for something that not only didn't exist but never had any assets either. It was only referenced by folder names in the assets for those few objects. Making pages that only say "this never existed'' seems unnecessary -- I hope people assume if they search and don't see a page for something that it's because it never existed.

Faeryheart likes this.
  5. Faeryheart

Well, makes sense I guess :p
    I have another question. The item dandelion pop flask is called root pop flask ingame, I tried to edit it, but I have no idea how to change the name of the page itself: http://starbounder.org/Dandelion_Pop_Flask

Also you said that if something can be spawned in with admin commands it should have "Disabled" but not "Removed", right? Because the geometric screen and the other geometric items pages were saying the items were removed, but I was able to spawn them, so I changed them to disabled :p

6. Katzeus

Moving pages is sort of complicated, as images also need renaming as well as the pages and any links to the page. That one should be fixed.
    Thanks. It was probably tagged removed because of changes to tier furniture in the current nightly. Long story short the old geometric set was removed and another set was renamed Geometric haha. I'm waiting a bit to update all that because it'll be confusing for people playing stable.

Faeryheart likes this.
  7. Faeryheart

Hmm, there is this races-box with playable and unplayable characters, shouldn't the shadow people be part of it? :p
    And maybe those too? http://starbounder.org/mediawiki/images/4/4b/Rabbit_Villagers.jpg
    Though @Zebe says they are apex in clothes, but maybe they should have a little wiki page atleast?
    I'm also kinda interested if we can spawn in their clothes, but there are no pages for them

8. Dunto

Dunto Guest

They are indeed Apex in special clothes, see assets/npcs/biome/colourfulvillager.npctype for their details. They wear colourfulhead, colourfulchest, and colourfullegs.

Faeryheart likes this.
  9. Faeryheart

Thank you! I am so pretty now..

[​IMG]

Firepaw Da Cat likes this.