1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Some of my Questions for Concerned Ape.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dezzmon, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Dezzmon

Dezzmon Space Hobo

I've been playing stardew valley for about a year now and I say I love it so much. Also, I know you may also be busy adding the multiplayer. But I do have some questions.

I would like to know how you created a custom game engine. Was it in c++ or C#?

When coding from the ground up, how do you start? Art, Music, Characters?

For pixels, do I have to use paint.net or can I use Piskel ?

And instead of farming what would be a good alternative to a game like Stardew Valley?

Also what type of computer do you have?

Thank you, and I hope you can read and answer my questions!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    • Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Eric (ConcernedApe) probably won't see this thread, but here are some answers from a member of the community.
      • I would like to know how you created a custom game engine. Was it in c++ or C#?
        Stardew Valley uses a custom engine written in C# using the XNA Framework. Eric has said that he regrets using XNA and creating a completely custom engine. For his next game he's using MonoGame and Nez instead.

• When coding from the ground up, how do you start? Art, Music, Characters?
        The recent GQ interview explains how he started and his process for developing Stardew Valley.

• For pixels, do I have to use paint.net or can I use Piskel ?
        I don't know what he used for pixel art (though he used Propellerhead Reason for the music). Sprite artists in the modding community most commonly use Paint.NET and Aseprite that I've seen.

• And instead of farming what would be a good alternative to a game like Stardew Valley?
        Stardew Valley was inspired by the original Harvest Moon games, which are continued in the Story of Seasons series if you like the genre. ConcernedApe is already starting work on his next game, so keep an eye out for that in a few years. (The new game isn't a sequel, but otherwise very few details are public yet.)

• Dezzmon

Dezzmon Space Hobo

Do you know which version of monogame he is using? 3.0, 2.6?

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard