Some crops grow faster/slower than others (no fertilizer)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phea, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

At least I'm consistent! haha

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Actually, not according to the wiki. They are on the edge, but still inside the zone. That's why it confused me so much.
      [​IMG]

• Kide87

Kide87 Void-Bound Voyager

Yep, those circled spots are the ones I've experienced that behavior. I remember getting only flower honey on Spring 8 and then getting wild honey on Spring 12 and 16 from those spots. Maybe I misremembered and they actually never yielded flower honey in the first place.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I hate to bring this back to the topic, but...
          The slow crops thing is real. I've seen it a lot. Not every game, but many. It seems to be more common at lower farming levels.
          This is day 2, and everything was watered, with no fertilizers, the night before. I wake up and find this...
          SoggySpot.jpg
          That Parsnip in the corner will always be a day behind the others. I've come to call them soggy spots. To me it does seem more common near objects like the stump or pond, but that might just be confirmation bias, because I have seen them all over the place.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Still on topic... :D
            I watered everything on day 2. Then day 3 it rained. On the morning of day 4 I see that above and to the left of the one I pointed out earlier is another one that's a day behind.
            Soggy2.jpg
            Out of the many times I've seen these slow growers, I've never seen one growing faster than the crowd, or catching back up after getting a day behind.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
            • squigglyruth

squigglyruth Pangalactic Porcupine

You beat me to the screenshots! I had exactly the same thing with the 10 parsnips I planted this spring. 'Soggy spots' is a good name, as they appear wet the next morning.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
              • Phea

Phea Big Damn Hero

My farming level is 10 and I'm on year 3, but it still happens to me occasionally :lod: it's pretty annoying, especially when you have to wait an extra day for that one potato that didn't grow yet.

• rabidcow

rabidcow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If this is working the way I think it is, you might get spots growing ahead on occasion if you use retaining soil.

Basically, I think these spots are missing the day update because of the way invalid things are getting cleared from the map, but this would simultaneously cause other spots to get updated twice. Affected crops don't grow twice only because the first day update cleared the water and unwatered crops don't grow.

• ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Interesting theory, but the picture @BentFX posted, clearly doesn't have retaining soil.

I've experienced this too, and I never use the stuff.

• rabidcow

Hm, perhaps I was unclear. The random crop growing slowly happens all the time, as does the random crop surviving into winter. BentFX said no random crop growing fast, but nobody uses retaining soil: I'm saying you might get a matching fast crop with retaining soil.

• ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Ah, I understand now.

• Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

This, generally. The game uses a method to clear the invalid things + go through each crop which isn't guaranteed to hit every crop once, and may miss certain crops, and hit certain crops twice.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

rabidcow likes this.
                          • Saraneth

Saraneth Big Damn Hero

The issue of the "soggy plots" and the beehives happens to me as well.

I've seen the former in the middle of my fields before, not near any stumps or water. I also didn't use fertilizer when I saw them, and can't see any reason to think there's a relation.

• Goremanslizer

Goremanslizer Void-Bound Voyager

Same "soggy plots" for me.
                              Aside from all these theories, it's maybe "just" a bug, but really annoying indeed.

But we may accept this bug as a "natural" issue ;) so this affected crops are just bad crops and after harvesting the "healthy" ones,
                              we can either wait for the "soggy plots"-crops an additional day, or break/remove them and are done with it :confirm:

• Koihime Nakamura

Essentially: (I haven't checked beehives):

On DayUpdate, which is the code that handles day change, it iterates through all crops. It removes the ones that are out of bounds, but does so WHILE iterating. This means the iteration may miss items (since the index changes), as well as it uses ElementAt, which has a similar problem. Basically, the crop simply doesn't process, but it's random, and therefore hard to pin down and may not reliably occur. (I had that problem when testing.). (And others may accidentally double process).

Saraneth likes this.
                                • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Could one write a mod that would change how DayUpdate handles so that it first remove the ones that are out of bounds, and THEN iterates growth?

• rabidcow

Yeah, you could remove the out-of-bounds items and then call the original method. Alternatively, replace the dictionary with something that tolerates this operation.

• Koihime Nakamura

I got around to writing up a test method. There's one problem with it, and that's one of the things the dayUpdate loop alters is.. out-of-scope for me. :V I'll continue to investigate.

• plagueborn667

plagueborn667 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I wonder should a mod move this to the bugs thread or is this part of the game mechanics? Because this has definitely happened to me but only with manual watering.

Edit: It just happened to me with sprinklers... Lvl 9 in farming... So confused

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018