I'm sorry for the double post, but I'm still having problems with this.
I've deleted the files on Steam Cloud and disabled it but I still didn't manage to make my Windows game to accept my Kubuntu Save.ini.
I have also been monitoring my hard drives in order to find out what's happening, and I found out that the Windows game, at launch, is editing the Save.ini in RoR's Steam folder (Steam\SteamApps\common\Risk of Rain\Save.ini) and setting some achievements' values back to 0. I don't know why or what those achievements are, but here are the exact values before the game resets them:
I'm assuming those are either the achievements that unlock the characters I unlocked on my laptop (Sniper, Akrid, Loader and Chef) or the achievements that are unlocked with them. Probably both, since it looks like 53 or 33 are Loader's Power Glove achievement and 15 looks like Akrid's "cover everything with crap" achievement.
What I don't understand is why is the game deleting them and setting them to 0 as seen here:
Anyone have any idea of what's going on?
UPDATE (mere minutes after pressing send): OKAY, I just found out that the SteamOS/Linux and Windows versions of the game are different. The Current content BuildID on the Local Files tab in the Properties menu for RoR is 580009 for Windows and 471805 for Linux. I read around the forums that this could cause some problems with saved files. Could this be it? I'll keep you updated if only for the hell of it.[DOUBLEPOST=1430226885][/DOUBLEPOST]FINALLY SOLVED
It turns out that the Windows and Linux versions save their achievement values differently. Windows stores and expects integers (i.e. "2" or "1240") as the Save.ini values, while SteamOS/Linux version writes and reads them as floats (i.e.: "2.000000" and "1240.000000"). This is what was causing the Windows version to delete my achievement_progress lines: The achievements unlocked in Linux were written as floats, which Windows didn't recognize as proper values for them, so it didn't unlock the characters, so the progress for their achievements had to be fake and was reset.
Also, for achievement_progress lines, Linux saves them as literal strings in-between double quotation marks. (i.e.: "1240.000000" instead of 1240.000000), which Windows also considers a no-no.
To solve it: Just delete the finishing .000000 on every achievement line and any double quotation mark on every achievement_progress lines. So if you have lines like:
Leave them as:
And that's all. That will finally allow you to play with a Linux save on a Windows computer.