1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Resolved [SOLVED] Non-static Light Sources causing great amounts of lag

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Starbrow, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starbrow

Starbrow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is anyone aware of a way to stop torches and other light sources from causing an inconsistent, flickering light? I can't find any mods that do such. The constantly-shifting light emanating from such sources is, in numbers, causing me to drop to unplayable frame rates. A good example, and the worst so far, is the Glitch castle I found. Torches, candlelight, candle chandeliers, and fires EVERYWHERE. My frames dropped to 5~10. Further, too many NPCs at once, such as in the Outpost, is also causing frame rate issues.

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

What are your specs?

~ Iris ~

3. Starbrow

Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, 6 GB RAM (DDR3, I believe?), AMD RADEON HD 8330 (512 MB, DDR3), AMD A4-5000 APU, Radeon v 16.9.2. Even running the game in optimal performance mode, on a small resolution, isn't helping unless I go all the way down toX3 or x4 scale and then I can't SEE the bloody game to enjoy it.

Edit: Running Starbound 1.1.1 on a Toshiba Satellite L75D-A7283 notebook via external monitor. Due to a motherboard issue, I have to keep AMD's power setting in the Control Panel to Max Savings instead Max Performance, because the system becomes radically unstable otherwise and crashes constantly. Did try running it on max performance instead, but that didn't help the issue much.

4. Iris Blanche

It seems that your CPU is the bottleneck here. It barely fits the minimum requirements according to a test on game-debate.com
    Does your machine run in high performance mode?
    Which other software is running besides starbound?

~ Iris ~

5. Starbrow

Google Chrome was running, but I closed it to test performance without - no real difference. And yeah, high performance mode is always enabled, with the sole exception of ATI Graphics Power Savings. If I don't have that set to Maximum Battery Saving, as I said, the entire computer crashes with frightening regularity. Having it on MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE did not show a noticeable increase in frame-rate, however.

So it's the 1.5 GHz Quad-core that's bottling everything? Ugh... that's a hassle, if so. I'd checked CanIRunIt before I got the game, which -said- I met the recommended specs, but...

6. Starbrow

SOLUTION.

For others having light/shadow-related frame-rate droppings, I found the following to entirely take care of it, albeit at the cost of some immersion. This brought my frame-rate back to normal in heavily-lit areas, and when using LIGHT III AUGMENT.

Open your chat box in-game via Enter.
    /admin
    /fullbright
    /admin

You need to be in Admin mode to activate /fullbright, achieved with /admin. The /fullbright disables the lighting engine, causing a huge (in some cases) decrease on what's being required from the CPU. The second /admin is to disable Admin mode, which has the effects of godmode and unlimited energy.

7. Iris Blanche

Closing and marking as resolved.

Using the fullbright command seems to be a workaround for weaker machines. Please note that this probably will only work in singleplayer. Multiplayer will require you to have admin access.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.