1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

[SOLVED]No luck on running the game since v1.0 release [Details Below]

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by pipirupi123, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When you open the msconfig though do you only see 4 cores or 8?Maybe starbound has a problem with hyperthreading (since most i7 processors are "8core" but not really). If it shows 8 than you could potentially run it without the "virtual" core, or maybe there is even an option to disable hyper threading.
    You could also try looking for an option to disable hyper threading in BIOS if you're comfortable with it, don't do it if you have no experience with it though, I don't want to be responsible for braking your PC.

Honestly I'm running short on ideas, I've also had a look through the drivers for your mother board but nothing there really looked like it could need an update, the only hot fix was the product registration which is just some menaingless ASUS bs, audio drivers ware just standard realtek drivers.

Another thing I found is This access violation error in Project Cars, where apparently changing some registry values to give your GPU more time to respond fixed the problem. They link to the Microsoft page on how to do that which you can find Here.
    Honestly I wouldn't think the GPU would be at fault here but at this point I'm willing to suggest anything that could help, who know maybe your processor loads up the game file too fast and the GPU can't process it in time or allocate the memory for it (since there is vram in it), sounds a bit stupid but who knows.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. pipirupi123

pipirupi123 Void-Bound Voyager

I appreciate the help but its seems that this problem needs insight from the devs themselves if we ever hope to troubleshoot this.

3. IlGranTrebeobia

IlGranTrebeobia Big Damn Hero

I tried to disable all cores but 1 from bios and disabled HT, same error.

this :poke:

4. Geth270

Yeah, that is if they look at the error message and have a better idea what's going on than us (probably they do at least to some extent just from experience), maybe they could make some more clever suggestions than I did but if they knew what the problem was it would have probably been hotfixed by now.

Anyway, I went back to the beginning with this looking back at the error and the memory address, also the missing SDL_sound and the fact that the error occurred after SDL_joystick. It is really hard to find anything related to this, so far all i got is This thread on another forum. Since you have an ASUS motherboard do you by any chance use AISuit? Maybe it's causing some conflict, I'm using it and have no issues but maybe it's worth a try getting rid of it if you have it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  5. Quait

Quait Void-Bound Voyager

interesting that this thread is not yet locked. Many past "access violation" threads were close to instant-closed, one reason why I'm annoyed so much by this shitty supportteam of Chucklefish.

6. Geth270

I'm sure they're doing their best, Access Violation errors can be hard to track down (this thread being a prime example). In a lot of cases people are opening threads and reporting them while running a lot of mods (which are likely the cause) and they can't be prioritizing those.

7. tenchi24

tenchi24 Intergalactic Tourist

W7 SP1 x64
    MSI MS-7850
    I5 4690K
    Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
    Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Vengeance

pretty similar build to you Geth and you have it working, also I tried newer and older Realtek drivers and no luck, also tried running with core affinity set to 1, nothing. What is common enough for lots of people to have software-wise that could be causing incompatibility?

8. Geth270

Hmm, I am quiet lost now with this, the only notable difference is that your cpu is a version more suitable for overclocking (have you done it though idk). Also I don't think it's the SDL_sound that's the problem here and rather the SDL_joystick, unfortunately chucklefish decided to not print out anything to the log that would suggest that the initialization was successful for each component however the "[Info] Application: Initializing" is something that would supposedly be printed at the very beginning before any other code is run, which makes me think that its part of the SDL_joystick that fails to initialize and it just never gets to sound, otherwise the error would occur after "[Info] Application: Initializing SDL Sound".

Here you can read up a bit on what SDL joysick is. I did a bit more research about the topic since the last time but honestly I can't find anything that could help for now, and slowly giving up.
    Are you maybe using some special mouse or keyboard, something like razer naga that would require extra drivers or software? Or even razer head set (heck I'm not completely pushing away SDL_sound from the possibility list).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  9. Geth270

Ok so I went over to the intel website to compare our processor and their functionality.
    Other than the very obvious differences such as clock speeds, architecture, cashe size etc. there is one thing that stood out to me.
    At the very bottom of the specifications there is a thing called "Trusted Execution Technology"

Quoting the description of it:
    "IntelĀ® Trusted Execution Technology for safer computing is a versatile set of hardware extensions to IntelĀ® processors and chipsets that enhance the digital office platform with security capabilities such as measured launch and protected execution. It enables an environment where applications can run within their own space, protected from all other software on the system."

Out of the 4 processors in this thread only mine has this "safe environment & launch" technology. Now how much this means? Not that much, I went through the forum and looked up a few other processors that people have given that did run the game and not all of them have this said technology, but judging from the description its meant to help avoid conflicts between software, we would still have to find out what's causing it but hey, it's a step forward (maybe?) since it's pointing towards a software conflict (especially since @pipirupi123 is experiencing the exact same problems on 2 completely different machines, makes me think that you guys just have to have something installed that's causing a problem).

i5 4690 specs - my processor
    i5 4690k specs - @tenchi24's processor
    i7-3630qm specs - @pipirupi123's lpatop
    i7-6700k specs - @pipirupi123's desktop
    i7-920 specs - @IlGranTrebeobia's processor

10. Quait

Quait Void-Bound Voyager

Ok, got another round of tests..
    I had to install a linux on some computer, and got the idea of using linux to test the game. On a live Ubuntu, Instantcrash. On SteamOS: Instant Crash. Each tested Team Fortress 2, running SMOOOOOTH AS BUTTER.
    But, these tests should rule out a Software Problem, Two VERY different Operating Systems both crash, in the linux case steams own SteamOS crashes as well, which should be the better choice for a copy&paste Linux OS.
    This seems to be a simple hardware problem

Edit: Of course I'm talking about the very same computer!

11. Geth270

That's some great work on your side, I'm personally out of ideas at this point (especially when it comes to hardware), your tests will probably help the devs track the problem by a mile though so once again, really good work.
    The only question I dare to ask is if both SteamOS and Ubuntu ware fully up to date? I haven't really used either of them so idk how updates work there but just want to make sure they weren't missing something like window's "service pack" (although by the fact that other games did run well I doubt it).

12. Quait

Quait Void-Bound Voyager

Ubuntu was a fresh download from their page, but since Ubuntu is not created for gaming unlike steamOS it could be that there was something missing (same crash though, so maybe not).

SteamOS kind of forces you to update. Steam and its linux behind it are closely linked. Its a fresh install as well, but Steam completely updated everything before it let me do anything except for surfing the steam store and some basic settings. SteamOS should have been completely updated. I will try to find logs of Starbound in SteamOS, but since its a crash on startup and its at the same timing (2-3 seconds after launch) it is most likely the exact same crash or something close to it
    Good Night, 1AM here.

13. Geth270

1AM 4 me 2 :) , honestly the log is kinda useless, usually you'd look for any errors before the crash or what was going on with the game but this pretty much just logs the game failing to start and jumps straight to the crash error which doesn't really tell you that much. I guess it would be good to see if the error occurs after the SDL_joystick.
    I know you guys already attempted unplugging almost everything that isn't a mice or a keyboard but maybe there is something in BIOS that's simulating a connected device (and BIOS is the only other thing than hardware I can think of that doesn't change between systems), I know that on my motherboard the shitty bios would not see some USB 3.0 ports until I went there and forced them to be always active. Maybe its a similar deal where you have some ports forced to be active and sb is trying to initialize a device from them but it doesn't exist so the game crashes or something. I don't know anymore, I'm kinda tired at this hour and also just complete out of "smart" ideas (if they ever ware), never went against an error this stubborn.

14. Quait

Quait Void-Bound Voyager

Looked at the log, it crashes later in the startup process, but it still has to do with OpenGL, seems to be the same root problem. Just for the heck of it I tried it with Wine. Same Crash on Startup if starting it from Steam in Wine (funny, SteamOS(Linux) > Wine(back to Windows) > Steam(Windows Client) > Start from there, same crash, even though the Hardware has some virtualisation whatever wine does) but starting it from the folder in Wine lets me at least start the game (!) but with horrible framerate, BUT: starting it 64bit makes the same crash AGAIN.

A emulated Windows via VMware or VirtualBox would give the same result most likely, horrible FPS or Crash. Heck, making a Virtual Linux and running it there most likely will give the same result.

[​IMG]

15. pipirupi123

pipirupi123 Void-Bound Voyager

so basically the devs are going all "the heck if I know what this is....you deal with it" with everyone with this issue...that sounds about right tho as 13 days later and 5(?)patches in we still get diddly squat...V1.0+ was a huge middle finger imo as everything was pretty fine up until that...I'm getting pretty miffed with the lack of official "support" on a ->released<- game

IlGranTrebeobia likes this.
  16. Quait

Quait Void-Bound Voyager

Basically, this game went from a "yeah, good working beta" to a "wtf is this shit, change the game a week before relase and its worse than two years ago"release, awesome step backwards, Chucklefish, awesome improvements.

17. tenchi24

tenchi24 Intergalactic Tourist

Thought for a minute disabling my intuos graphics tablet fixed it, but the error sometimes takes minutes to come up all the while starbound eats more and more resources in task manager, other times its instant. Weird. This thread has definitely been seen and has been kept open for a reason, the fact theres no fix though is worrying... Probably wont be one for quite some time.

18. anakinsez

anakinsez Void-Bound Voyager

Did anyone get this fixed? I found out what was wrong with my Access Violation error -- after uninstalling SpaceDesk x10 (Monitor extending software) it magically worked. I'm guessing that was what was conflicting with Starbound. I've seen random other people say it was fixed after disabling/uninstalling streaming, screen capturing video, and in my case, monitor extending software. Unfortunately, there's no list of "conflicting" software/drivers taking up the same memory access as Starbound, but hopefully there will be no need to uninstall anything just to play Starbound in the near future.

pipirupi123 and IlGranTrebeobia like this.
  19. IlGranTrebeobia

IlGranTrebeobia Big Damn Hero

:chrono:uninstalled... now it works! unbelievable
    Thanks for letting us know :DD

20. Quait

Quait Void-Bound Voyager

In my case, it doesnt help. I uninstalled Splashtop, a programm I used to extend my monitor to a Win8 Tablet to get a second screen. Removing did not help. My earlier tests with Linux should confirm that its not a software conflict in my Access Violation error since Linux and Windows hardly have the same software

Edit: Ok Anakinsez, you are a little hero. After searching around a bit more around on my computer for "virtual desktops" and similar stuff I found remnants of an uninstalled SpaceDesk, that were still "used" by the computer, removing that did not help at first, because I reinstalled Splashtop, removing both worked.
    This game has seriously a problem if its the only game (and I game alot of different games, alphas etc) that has a problem with a programs like these...

(I most likely tested Spacedesk a few years back when I was searching for a way to extend my desktop to my tablet)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016